Ugly PGM Native Metal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be easier, since we're averse to proper assays and following the science, to hire a guy in a long black robe to chant the Roman Rite of Exorcism, then demand the ugly sample tell you it's name(s).
How much do you charge for your occult chanting. I can get a discount from Wally the watchdog. He is a little horse today.

After I was advised to use copper by Kurt Someone posted that copper is not a good idea for collecting platinum. It is more difficult to separate it from that group of metals so that is why I am using my powdered platinum palladium and gold extracted from the placer. I can see the gold in it. You yourself said that gold is the best collection metal so get off of my back and pay attention to your own advice! I also said you or someone else closer Also could have helped with identification. I have answered your questions. Also Kurt or you never told me how to finely chop copper. Will you tell me how or just be angry because I don't know how?
You have to read what we advice you to. Not just use snippets from here and there.
I have not said anything regarding Copper being bad.
Copper may be hard to separate from Pd.
But then again if you mix Pd and Pt they will go into solution by Nitric both of them.
Silver is not the best of collector for Rh in which Gold is the best.
Copper is still the best collector metal within a reasonable reach for anyone.

In addition you need to use significantly more than the visible grains in an ore.
If you have nuggets you can melt into buttons in your ore you may have enough to use that ore as collector metal.

Thanks for the update and I am still limited to what I have that is available. I have pounds of copper wire but no way to use it so I use my powdered metal which is the best way for me now. Also the powdered metal is not the same as the ore. This is a naturally concentrated combination of the platinum group metal and gold placer that washed down from a known gold deposit. My ore doesn't have visible gold in it. A group of huge boulders concentrated the metal and I was able to remove it from the placer.

Last edited:
Why can't you use copper? If you are smelting everything, the copper does not have to be powdered.

I will repeat what others have said about Hoke - read and understand what she has to say about assaying. Currently you are just wasting time, money and effort and going nowhere because you have no idea what you need to do.

Thanks Bill for the response. I have explained in previous posts that though copper is the recommended metal for collecting and I fully intended to use it when I came to this forum but after consideration I decided that copper is not the best collection metal for collecting platinum. I was also considering using the silver crystals that I have but again read that adding an additional metal creates the need for additional work to remove it. My ore only has a trace of silver in it so I chose to use the powdered platinum palladium and gold extracted from the placer to add. This is my second time using this powdered metal. 4 tablespoons and has a good result so yesterday I used a 75 percent powdered metal and I am separating the lower melting point metals leaving the platinum palladium and gold fused to the lower half of the 8kg crucible. I have a few ounces built up already but need to find a hotter furnace or someone who can finish smelting it for me. Those metals will pay for my testing needs so you are wrong about me not accomplishing anything. I explained previously that I am very disabled and I do things differently.

I don't know if you have a blower helping push additional O into your furnace, but with a good burner/blower using Propane as the fuel, you should be able to get to 2600 F after an hours heating. Coupled with either Lead,Copper, Bismuth, or Silver, this will lower the melting point of ALL the metals in the smelt. Unfortunately, you will still have to follow the other protocols for further refining, just the way it is. Short cuts lead to effed up results.

I just changed my blower setup because I was doing it wrong. I was trying to preheat the propane and blow with just the heat gun. Now am getting about 2460 but I should have that temperature without the blower or preheat the propane. Yes I should get 2600 but still have a problem with adjustments. Kurt just assured me that I have to thin my slag and told me how to do it and that should help with pulling the platinum group also.
IMG_20230722_134039_2CS.jpg

Is this the same old subject on the same old pile of ??? without any (reliable) test results?
I've seen that picture before.
Why another thread?
you are sure it's PGM, but you do not know which PGM looks dull. Why are you sure?
If you tested the ore with XRF, where are the testresults? i have not seen one. And why not continue in your old thread on this same subject?
you tested the ore with an xrf or the metal buttons?
I am about to get a successful smelt which will be x-ray spectroscopy tested. Since I now believe that I am not necessarily separating the metals as previously believed, I will add all metal into the next charge. Can I just drop it into the crucible first or maybe on top to collect some as it drops to the button. I want to make as large a button as possible then test it.

I am about to get a successful smelt which will be x-ray spectroscopy tested. Since I now believe that I am not necessarily separating the metals as previously believed, I will add all metal into the next charge. Can I just drop it into the crucible first or maybe on top to collect some as it drops to the button. I want to make as large a button as possible then test it.
That is not a good idea, the collector metal has to be finely divided and well mixed in with the charge.

I just want to melt it. I am loading up the new crucible with a sizable charge of metal in concentration, about 90 percent will be the powdered metal with rich concentrates with visible metal in it. I just don't want to grind my smelted metal, a little more than 2 ounces will be added.

NONE !!!!! --- if it is PGM metal - like gold it will be bright & shiny !!!! --- & it will remain bright & shiny no matter how long it has been in &/or exposed to the environment

Kurt
What about the nickel content. I suspect that the dull appearance is likely from nickel or another metal. I have a button now. Your advice was good but a little ball or two remains so I need a little better control over my calculations and timing. I am having difficulties with finding a conical mold large enough for my crucible to empty into. I have filled to overflowing that 100 ounce mold you saw. I have some 8 ounce Assay crucibles but I would need to destroy it to get the button. Can I use Pam cooking spray or some oil in the crucible to make it possible to get the button out? Also, I have about 14 pounds of calcium fluoride now if anyone runs out. Legend must have a new employee. They tried to heat seal a dusty bag and it was a mess. They are sending a replacement.

In the future, if you are replying to a particular post, quoting that post will bring clarity to your reply.

A statement without context typically serves no purpose, and confuses the conversation. Could you please tell the rest of us which post you replied to?

Time for more coffee.

In the future, if you are replying to a particular post, quoting that post will bring clarity to your reply.

A statement without context typically serves no purpose, and confuses the conversation. Could you please tell the rest of us which post you replied to?

Time for more coffee.
Thanks for inquiring. I too would like to know where his assumption about my wealth(??🤣🤣) comes from and what exactly I have said.

Back to making electric clamps from plastic clothes pins and copper wire for stripping silver plated cutlery... should have ordered my servants to do it.

Something I posted not long ago easily found using the forum search button and the terms pgms raw ore.

Steve

Back