Ugly PGM Native Metal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working with that which has been available to me. I will indeed have the platinum group testing done. It is coming up when I find a lab that I can afford to use. I do appreciate the information you all have shared with me but my original 2 needs have not been met. I understand the need for test results.I am still not able to get my furnace to the advertised 2450 degrees even though I am preheated the propane and blowing air into the combustion chamber

I understand but am more interested in the highest temperature ore remaining in the crucible. I assume that the ugly PGM Native Metal is indeed PGM and simply asked for an expert here to tell me which one is ugly but no one here has that kind of experience with PGM. Is rhodium an ugly metal?
Here is my deal..... I will pay for an assay fire and xrf (and or icp) for 3 percent of your claim (basic salesperson's commission). Very Simple. No if and or buts. If you pay to ship materials i will cover your shipping. One of your choice and two of my choosing. This may stop this thread or --- hey hey... winner, winner, chicken dinner. So lets public announce the decsion and then swap phone numbers. I will post the result if need be

Mark

I thought you had a rich PGM and Au mine.
Silver deposit, not gold and it sits unmolested .
Here is my deal..... I will pay for an assay fire and xrf (and or icp) for 3 percent of your claim (basic salesperson's commission). Very Simple. No if and or buts. If you pay to ship materials i will cover your shipping. One of your choice and two of my choosing. This may stop this thread or --- hey hey... winner, winner, chicken dinner. So lets public announce the decsion and then swap phone numbers. I will post the result if need be

Mark
Thanks Mark for the offer. I need to insure that this would be acceptable to the owner of the platinum deposit because until now I have not considered having a partner and I still have to buy the truck and trailer. My desire is to do this alone or with someone who I already know.

None of the PGMs are ugly.
They are all white enough to be used as Jewelry, maybe except Ir (Too hard to melt and form) and of course Os and Ru.
Ore on the other hand are almost always ugly.
But to me it seems you are just melting the assumed ore.
It is not possible to get the metals out of an ore without the correct flux and collector metal.
You have been told this a multiple of times and still continue with your old ways it seems like?
When are you going to listen to the advice you are given?
First Kurt said that a collector is necessary unless you have about a 30 percent or more metal content which I have now. I have recently posted that a cheaper lab is necessary.I mentioned also that I am adding the powdered platinum group metals as an additional collection metal because of the higher gold content in that powdered metal. The flux recipe posted previously is working but not hot enough.

Silver deposit, not gold and it sits unmolested .

Thanks Mark for the offer. I need to insure that this would be acceptable to the owner of the platinum deposit because until now I have not considered having a partner and I still have to buy the truck and trailer. My desire is to do this alone or with someone who I already know.
you have not considered haveing a partner until now
Yet you come to an open forum asking for help with no money nor proof of concept?? I thopught i made a fair offer

Mark

Obsession is a terrible thing. He’s going to keep doing things the same way since he’s apparently comfortable with that. If he was to actually get an assay, it might prove he’s wasting his time there. Maybe someday, at least whoever inherits it will actually benefit from the supposed rich silver deposit that sits ignored.

I would use that rich silver ore as a collector metal to leach any PGM's from the concentrates. Them an xrf scan makes sense.
If I’m not mistaken, this are two different entities in two different locations.
So using them together needs transporting one of them.

I have mentioned multiple times that I have tested the ore 10 times with x-ray spectroscopy and I asked a simple question for someone with actual experience with platinum group ore. I have seen an ugly PGM Native metal in my High grade concentrate, even one attached to a tiny piece of platinum. Lou might be able to answer my question.
There are xrf's that are very accurate, I believe it's the vanta, however you have to make sure that libraries are full. You can contact Troy at the xrf company and he can rent you one. However the cost is the same as getting an icp. Icp may even be cheaper. With pgms even if you have an assay are a pain to sell and even more of a pain to process.

I've searched for several years having thousands of pounds myself. And if you don't have several tons I couldn't imagine it being worth your time.

I'm guessing you will be referred to act labs in Canada for a nickel sulfide or icp. Once you get that it's still not easy sailing from there trust me on this. Wish you all the best. And FYI these guys are correct most xrf will give you insanely exaggerated readings.

Edit: misspelling fixed.

Last edited:
There are xrf's that are very accurate, I believe it's the vanta, however you have to make sure that libraries are full. You can contact Troy at the xrf company and he can rent you one. However the cost is the same as getting an icp. Icp may even be cheaper. With pgms even if you have an assay are a pain to sell and even more of a pain to process.

I've searched for several years having thousands of pounds myself. And if you don't have several tons I couldn't imagine it being worth your time.

I'm guessing you will be referred to act labs in Canada for a nichol sulfide or icp. Once you get that it's still not easy sailing from there trust me on this. Wish you all the best. And FYI these guys are correct most xrf will give you insanely exaggerated readings.
Try to get your chemical names correct, it is Nickel Sulfide no element is called Nichol ;)

I would use that rich silver ore as a collector metal to leach any PGM's from the concentrates. Them an xrf scan makes sense.
No, the rich powdered metal containing platinum gold etc. I was told here to not add an additional metal such as silver since it doesn't exist in my ore, only a trace. BASF purchased Englehard and buys PGM but a minimum of $20k per transaction. They require a $1000 assay with a 1000 lb sample.You haul it to Utah. I must have chosen wisely then because all of my results are accurate. This was a desktop unit.

Last edited:
No, the rich powdered metal containing platinum gold etc. BASF purchased Englehard and buys PGM but a minimum of $20k per transaction. You haul it to Utah. I must have chosen wisely then because all of my results are accurate. This was a desktop unit.
If they are accurate they will be corroborated by ICP and/or NIS assays, true?
Why don't you show your XRF assays then?

As far as I have read, there is no PGM ore so rich it can be smelted without collector metal.
So you still need both the correct flux and some collector metal to be able to extract your PGMs out of the ore.
The melting point of Platinum is 3200F by the way

You are asking about things already covered. I have offered to send samples to you or another person that is closer. You don't want to know that the ore is what I say it is so you make wrong accusations and rehash topics already covered. I also stated that I will still use my platinum gold powder as a collection metal and the slag is clean upon inspection. I needed a more precise flux recipe. The slag is too thick and temperature is part of the problem. I will use oxygen and acetylene to remove platinum and gold from the crucible and have it tested. Have you tried to assist in getting my furnace hotter? How about helping me get it tested here? You could have done more to assist with it.

You are asking about things already covered. I have offered to send samples to you or another person that is closer. You don't want to know that the ore is what I say it is so you make wrong accusations and rehash topics already covered. I also stated that I will still use my platinum gold powder as a collection metal and the slag is clean upon inspection. I needed a more precise flux recipe. The slag is too thick and temperature is part of the problem. I will use oxygen and acetylene to remove platinum and gold from the crucible and have it tested. Have you tried to assist in getting my furnace hotter? How about helping me get it tested here? You could have done more to assist with it.
No I can not. I’m in another continent and do not run furnaces.
You on the other hand could take the advice given to you and use collector metal and flux.
Then your furnace will be plenty hot enough.
Even if it is the richest ore in the world it will not have enough metal in it to be able to collect the values within a temperature and time necessary to do so.
Add some copper powder and it is suddenly within reach.

You on the other hand could take the advice given to you and use collector metal and flux.
Even if it is the richest ore in the world it will not have enough metal in it to be able to collect the values within a temperature and time necessary to do so.
It might be easier, since we're averse to proper assays and following the science, to hire a guy in a long black robe to chant the Roman Rite of Exorcism, then demand the ugly sample tell you it's name(s).

Having studied Latin for eight years, with degrees in biology and chemistry, and having taken theology courses from Fr Walter Halloran and Fr Sunshine (Blatty's sensationalistic movie was based on one of their cases), I could be that guy. But my advice is get equipped, read Home, get an assay before you run farther along and throw time and money away.

After I was advised to use copper by Kurt Someone posted that copper is not a good idea for collecting platinum. It is more difficult to separate it from that group of metals so that is why I am using my powdered platinum palladium and gold extracted from the placer. I can see the gold in it. You yourself said that gold is the best collection metal so get off of my back and pay attention to your own advice! I also said you or someone else closer Also could have helped with identification. I have answered your questions. Also Kurt or you never told me how to finely chop copper. Will you tell me how or just be angry because I don't know how?

Latest posts

Back