Unscented vs. Scented bleach?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chumbawamba

Ok, so what's the scoop on scented bleach? Does it work just as well as unscented, or do the "scent" components add unwanted contamination to the stew?

I can get 1 gallon jugs of 2-5% NaClO bleach from the dollar store for (you guessed it) a dollar. I can get two 1 gallon jugs of 10% NaClO "Chlorinated Liquid" from the hardware store for $7. In terms of concentrations vs. price, it's roughly a wash, with the difference being that the dollar store stuff has "scent". Both are easy to obtain; neither is more gettable than the other.

Input?

Something in the 'scented stuff' inhibits the chlorine fumes from forming. My wife says it's because the scented ones are considered 'low fumes' but I'm not 100% convinced.

I helped a local friend with processing some pins one time and all he had was Mountain Fresh bleach on hand. It took nearly three times as much bleach to get the job done. I barely was able to get any chlorine gas formation when the bleach was added to the acid.

Steve

I bought the lemon scented ammonia hydroxide to use when rinsing the
gold powder from the dollar store and it seemed to work OK. I just stick
to the good old fegular clorox bleach for the HCL-CL Au dissolving tasks. 8)

Latest posts

Back