Use tub instead of bucket for passive leaching?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
924T said:
g_axelsson,

I hope I didn't offend you with my EU comment------my education continues, as I honestly had never sat down
and thought about the fact that the EU may have standardized the currency, but it has not (and thank goodness for
that) standardized the cultures and languages of all the member countries. Thanks for pointing that out to me!
Hi Mike,

I'm not easily offended and you haven't managed to do that yet. 8)
The further away from something you are, the harder it is to spot the nuances in it. I'm sure I have a lot of gaping holes in my knowledge about American geography and culture. For example, I had no idea where Rock Island was located... now I do. Thank you wikipedia and google maps!
If you want to know I live in a town called Umeå, Sweden. If you ever come here I'll buy you a beer!

Göran

g_axelsson,

I just now looked up some information on Umea, Sweden.

Wow. I could spend a month there and still not see everything! Or eat everything. Or drink everything.....

What is the Moritzka Garden? I really like the architecture of the building----I could probably spend an hour
shooting photos of it, inside and out.

If I ever make it to Umea to take you up on your offer of a beer, I'd most likely want to start at the Allstar,
and then graduate to some of the buffets.

I also discovered a youtube video of winter in Umea, but haven't gotten to view it yet.

Very cool,

Cheers,

Mike

924T said:
g_axelsson,

Wow. I could spend a month there and still not see everything! Or eat everything. Or drink everything.....

What is the Moritzka Garden? I really like the architecture of the building----I could probably spend an hour

If I ever make it to Umea to take you up on your offer of a beer, I'd most likely want to start at the Allstar,

I also discovered a youtube video of winter in Umea, but haven't gotten to view it yet.

Very cool,

Cheers,

Mike

Ah well, when you have the chance, you should look up my city! It's a great place to winter and we LOVE FIB's!!! :lol:

924T said:
g_axelsson,

Very cool,

Cheers,

Mike
Hi Mike,

Moritzka gården, or in English, the Moritz estate, is an old wooden building. Today it hosts the office of a local company.

I can bring you to Allstars, I know the personnel there as I've been working a lot with the sound and lighting they use.
But personally I would recommend Lottas krog, a small gourmet restaurang / bar. That's my favorite.
... but we're getting a bit off topic now so I stop here. :mrgreen:

Göran

924T said:
I do have on hand some heavy duty bakery 3 gallon icing plastic buckets, actually thicker walled than a normal
5 gallon plastic bucket, that I've been using to organize motors, boards, etc., when disassembling disc drives.

The lids for these buckets are gasketed, and it takes an act of congress to get a lid off, if you put it on
properly. I don't want to be having to do WWF moves on a bucket with solution in it, just to get the lid
off so I can check the progress of the chemical reaction----the disaster probability would be high.

Mike

Check out eBay, maybe Harbor Freight too, for bucket opening tools. I bought a pair of plastic ones for opening 5 gallon paint and drywall mud buckets. They make quick work of getting the lid off those icing buckets too. I have about 40 of them (buckets) I use for all kinds of storage in my shop and lab.

Andy Williams,

I almost got to Green Bay last December when I drove up to northern Wisconsin to see Joe Forbes at
his refinery (very impressive operation, I might add)(massive fume scrubber, custom built).

Beautiful country, lots of pine trees, kind of reminded me of Wyoming, many deer, many many deer.
I saw a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture on the way there, which was cool.

I had to leave my Chicago Bears tooq at home, for obvious reasons.

I've heard there are some great steak restaurants in Green Bay.

Cheers,

Mike

gold4mike,

Many thanks for your bucket lid opening tool tip!

I had never heard of such a tool, but if it works like you indicated, I'll have to get some, because
those 3 gallon doughnut shop plastic buckets are rediculously sturdy, and cheap, which to me is a
fantastic combination.

And, the whole deal of fighting those lids to get them off had me stymied.

There is a Harbor Freight store just across the Mississippi, in Iowa, so I'll drive over and take a peek.

Cheers,

Mike

It hasn't been mentioned, but if you look around the rim of the lid, there are usually a number of slits extending downward, but not all the way to the edge. You can pry the lid off with them intact, but it is very difficult. A sharp box cutter type knife cuts through them easily, then the tool mentioned above reaches up under the rim and allows you to use leverage to unsnap the lid. It's still not a piece of cake as you have to unsnap the lid almost halfway around before it gives up. Strange, but I've seen people struggling without knowing they need to cut those little suckers.

g_axelsson,

What kind of speakers and amps are they running at the Allstar?

I'm a fan of Electrovoice (EV) speakers and amps, and am in the middle of helping design an EV flown system
for a local high school auditorium. We're waiting for the EV "EASE" 3D modeling software to be delivered.

I think EV is now owned by Bosch.

I was on the team that put in a first generation 'Bose Professional' cluster 23 years ago; it has been used and
abused, and now must be replaced (totally blown to shreds).

We're also having to address some serious stage rigging issues, and I'm getting a little old to be doing all
the climbing, but am pressing forward nontheless.

Apparently there is an Italian company that has reissued the legendary EV 30" subwoofer raw frame speaker,
to the original EV specifications (they're like $1000 @ )------in my opinion, they are the ultimate LF driver, if
you have the space for 10 cubic foot cabinets.

I'm pretty sure that the French riot police use vehicles equipped with the EV 30" for unruly crowd dispersion, with brutal LF bursts.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't remember the make of the amps and speakers on Allstar, but it was a cheap brand. It wasn't us that delivered it, we have only done some service and staring at their solution, asking our selves "How did they think this could ever work?" :mrgreen:

In our company we mainly use JBL speakers and Crown amplifier, but if the customers want something else they get what they want.

Göran

Interesting. Apparently that division of JBL is still going strong? A far cry from what is sold under the JBL name today for the home. The consumer division was spun off some time ago, at which time they dropped the high end home speaker systems.

I've owned JBL since the mid 60's. I have two sets of their C-50 Olympus, each with the S8R speaker systems enclosed, plus a JBL Paragon. All three are in oiled walnut, which is my favorite. I like Danish Modern furniture, so they fit right in.

While similar speakers are still used commercially, the speakers and cabinets we have were discontinued when the home speaker division was spun off, as I mentioned, above. The Paragon now fetches a huge price when sold on ebay---the sister to the one I have sold about five years ago for just over $12,000.

Crown. I have a CX824 tape deck, which I still enjoy. Never used any of their amplifiers. I've run McIntosh as long as I've been involved in stereo gear.
Music and sound gear are a passion with me. It's the one hobby I've enjoyed all my life and have never lost interest.

Harold

Harold,
Like you, I have enjoyed music all my life. My hearing isn't what it used to be, so I don't listen as much. I built a Heathkit AR-1500 receiver and it provided many years of fine service. I don't recall the speaker models, but they were Altec-Lansing with a 15 inch woofer and a horn tweeter (actually quite large). They are now in my garage on special corner shelves, hooked up to a cheap receiver. The speakers were approximately 30 inches tall and weighed what seemed like a ton. The shelves they are on are lag bolted to the 2 X 4 and 2 X 6 studs.

What type of music do you prefer?

Bert

This is the type of jobs we did...
WinterDisco.jpg
JBL speakers (18-inch subs), Crown amplifiers and Pioneer CD player and mixer. The lamps are 1 kW each and the location is on the bottom of a ski slope.

The cables were stiff as rebars after the job. I had to bring it back and thaw them before I could untangle them.

:mrgreen:

... okay, we only did this only once a year, mostly we worked indoors.

Göran

bswartzwelder said:
I don't recall the speaker models, but they were Altec-Lansing with a 15 inch woofer and a horn tweeter (actually quite large). They are now in my garage on special corner shelves, hooked up to a cheap receiver. The speakers were approximately 30 inches tall and weighed what seemed like a ton.
Indeed! They weigh a ton because they are of good quality. That was characteristic of the early Lansing speakers, be they JBL (James B. Lansing) or Altec-Lansing. They used horns instead of paper for the tweeters and mid-range. The JBL S8R sytem uses the JBL 375 driver, an ALNICO magnet that weighs 28 pounds, fitted to a 4" diameter ribbon wound voice coil. I expect your mid-range would be very similar. They also use a 15" woofer, plus a 15" passive radiator, the answer to an enclosure of limited displacement. The Paragon has no passive radiator, as it's an exponential horn. Both systems use a pair of crossover networks. The only negative thing I can say about the speakers is that they are very "bright". A Bozak Concert Grand system yields a much softer sound.

What type of music do you prefer?
Like you, my hearing isn't what it once was, but I still listen for hours, daily.
My listening is somewhat flexible, but I listen primarily to jazz and classical. I'm particularly fond of the cool west coast (jazz) sound, although I listen to most jazz. I have been a Brubeck fan since 1955, and saw him perform countless numbers of time when he had his quartet. They played in Salt Lake Valley (where I used to live) regularly back then. I also prefer the baroque where classical is concerned.

I have little patience for most country western, and abhor rap. I will readily turn off a station playing the likes of Norah Jones. I am a huge fan of the big band era. I like the polite pop music of the 50's, and will listen to early rock, although a little goes a long ways with me. I do not tolerate country western well, and am known to turn off such music. It, frankly, annoys me, yet I find a few gems even in that idiom (who wouldn't enjoy Eddie Arnold's Cattle Call?). I thoroughly enjoy the Sons of the Pioneers. My listening to rock ended when the Beatles hit the US. By then, it was time for me to move on, as I had outgrown the music. Jazz does that to a person.

I would be lost without music. Given options, it will be the last thing I abandon, assuming I must make choices.

Harold

@924T

I just wanted to clarify, you mentioned using iodine earlier in the thread, but referred to it as providone-iodine. I thought providone-iodine (brand-name Betadine), was considered of little use as it is a complex of polyvinylpyrrolidone and elemental iodine.

-Ted

Latest posts

Back