Used fixer solution from dental X-rays.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck762

I have three gallons of already processed fixer from my. Wife's dental office. I know there is silver in the solution but I have no idea how to extract it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Well Buck,
Looks like first you will need to learn to use the forum search engine, and read up on the chemicals you will be using,and the safety of using these and the reactions and gases they cause, as the process could form, some very deadly gases, and you will need a good understanding of the safety precautions needed to keep from gassing yourself to death over a few grams of cheap silver.

There are a couple of different processes depending on the type of fixer.

Either you try to recover all of it the chemical way, or you try to recover the most possible (but not all) the electro way

you will need a variable powersupply, a stainless steel cathode and a carbon rod anode (arc air electrodes works also) and it will work

say 1.2V and Amperage depending on electrodesize

but 3 gallons = about 12liters at 5gr/liter, will only give you about 60gr

Fixer might contain anything between 1gr/liter to 8gr/liter

something like the silvermagnet (not the trap-series) will work also (a bit expensive say 50$) but without the hassle, and might be re-usable.

regards

Fonnie

Latest posts

Back