Used too much SMB!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Hello this is my first time trying to process gold from cpu's and gold filled jewelry. I used sodium nitrate and muriatic acid and medium heat to do the reaction and everything was going good until it was time to drop the gold and I used way too much SMB. What can I do to salvage the gold. Used a little over 100 grams of gold bearring material. Please Help.

Did you test it for the presence of gold? If you used wayyyy to much smb just wait until everything settles about 24 hours. Gently pour off the solution into your stock pot as much as you can leaving the solids in the beaker. Add water and simmer for about 30 min. Let settle. Drain. incinerate, and redissolve. You have to drop it twice anyway and all you really did was waste product. Also when you add to much smb it tend to drag down any other metals also. Normally that's a bad thing on the final run but i consider refining to be a 2-3 drop process and the first drop is just a recovery step. Later on in the process what you did is a no! no!

I havent tested the solution because I dont have the solution to test it but I did have a 10k ring that weighed a little over a gram included in the batch so im pretty sure there is gold. I am interested in making the solution or buying some so that my next batch is better accomplished. I appreciate everything you have said and will be following your instructions in the morning and will be sure to let you know the results. Thank you

When you add too much SMB it drops
CuCl in addition to gold. I would suggest
filtering the precipitate and wash with
HCl will retrieve the gold

Jason,

Without testing you are just guessing or hoping gold is somewhere in your process, but you will have no Idea where, you are working blind, stumbling around in the dark.

Would you put a blind fold on and go on a hike through the woods climbing mountains and crossing rivers hoping you would not step off the cliff, when all that you had to do to get where you are going is to remove that blindfold so you could see where you are going?

Without the testing solution you do not know the gold is in solution, your blind you may think your not that close to the cliff but you do not know.

Without testing you do not know if the gold is all precipitated from solution, you do not know where the cliff is.

Without testing you do not know if you threw your gold over the cliff into your waste bucket.

Take the blindfold off before going on your hike.

Latest posts

Back