Using homemade nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaxy419

Can I use homemade nitric on inquarted gold without distilling? I would be using the cold nitric recipe. I know that all salts won't be eliminated. and will they cause problems later on with recovery and refining. I have searched the forum and read adding silver sulfate? I would rather not distill the chemistry involved to get the right percentage of acid seems complicated. And I rather not have fuming white or fuming red nitric. Any help would greatly be appreciated! I am also under the impression that homemade nitric should not be a problem for gold filled? As long as silver content is low which it would probably be on gold filled. Thanks

image.jpegBecause I want to remove all base metals first. Going straight to Aqua Regia will give me more problems and that is not the proper way of refining. Sorry if I offended you but I have read Hokes and read post by the awesome refiners here on the forum and I have had success following their methods.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB
It really depends on your method of making your nitric. If you are using the one pot method, I don't see a problem using it to dissolve base metals. The salts left will be water soluble.

Homemade nitric with sulfates left could run into problem if you inquart with silver. To work around that problem you could inquart with copper instead. There might still be a problem with the sulfates reacting with any silver from the original metal, I don't know how big a problem that might be as I've only done inquarting with bought nitric acid.

On gold filled it should work just fine.

If you have access to silver nitrate then you could clean your homemade nitric by adding silver nitrate to it. You should get a precipitate of silver sulfate and when you don't get any more the nitric should be good enough for working with silver or the partening step after inquarting with silver.

Göran

Latest posts

Back