Vitamin "C" tablets

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeinkaty

Back in my brewing days many people would put a vitamin C tablet in tap water to neutralize the type of chlorine used in city water supplies. After puttin it in they would let it set for a day before using. Would that work for using tap water for rincing cemented mud when refining Silver?

Mike

normally, the chlorine used by most municipalities is sodium hypochlorite (bleach). if you place a container of tap water covered with a paper towel out overnight or 24 hours to be sure, the chlorine will evaporate on its own without any other actions. chlorine, being a gas, is much lighter than the water and will "gas off" given enough time. boiling in a glass container will speed this up. this will not remove metals or salts.

Use 4metals suggestion simply fill a bucket with tap water and add a little silver nitrate solution to it and stir well and allow to settle, filter and it should be fine to use as the silver will be inverted to silver chloride, removing the chlorides from the water.

Brita also sells a filter that is guaranteed to remove 100% chlorine and metal contamination. i have a Brita picture filter. i may just start filtering all my water.

My water here has so many minerals in it I think one could walk on it! I've thought about catching rain water and using reverse osmosis. But, I could buy 200 gallons of distilled water for the price of a cheap RO.

I catch my air conditioner condensate in 5 gallon containers, It only works in the warm weather months, but is distilled water for free.

snail said:
I catch my air conditioner condensate in 5 gallon containers, It only works in the warm weather months, but is distilled water for free.
You do know that it will catch all kind of lint and dust particles from the air blowing over the coils? Those dust particles will disolve back into the water. I figure that filtered rain water would be close to air conditioner condensate water in quality.

Mike

I guess I could resurrect my old still and run off a 'batch' of distilled water! No, propane costs $17 a tank now. Forget that.

Mike

Latest posts

Back