wanting to build a small forge to melt sterling

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

i have nearly 1000g of sterling scrap that i am wanting to melt down and cast into bars for practice, but don't know what to use to make the forge. have heard i can make one out of a coffee can and concrete.is there any place i can get some basic plans for one? the crucible i have is supposed to fit a Grobet 22.211 oven,and hold 30 oz of gold/25 oz of silver wondering if someone might be able to help me out with this. what materials would i need to do this with.i have a bag of masonary cement in the basement if it can be used.i'm not realy looking to spend an arm and a leg at this point as this will be my first attempt. also,as for the heat,should i use one of the butane torches or a propane one? hope someone can help me with this. thanks for your time,and any help you might be able to give.
joe :?:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=forge+propane++metal+casting&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

forges are simple to build, propane burners can be made from pipe fittings.

look into using fire bricks, and refactory castable with a wash coat (sairset), and ceramic fiber wool, cement will not hold up long.

for small batches get LaserSteves mini furnace it works well and you cannot beat the price, you may find that is all you need

Don't use regular concrete, it can POP! & live a mark. Use the type for fireplaces if you must. I use fire bricks like butcher recommends, & a set up similar to lazersteves.

Phil

Latest posts

Back