waste solution and hdd platers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volodymyr

Hi guys!this is my first post at this wonderfull forum.I would like to know if i can use hdd platers for waste solution to speed up process and rise up PMG content? sorry fory my english.i am ucrainian,live in italy and this is nice oportunity for me to learn about recover and refining processes and study english.

i used hhd disc plater on spent AP and the result, even if it worked, was not very good. as the copper cement out of solution it stop the contact of the AP on the aluminium. i only did a very small batch and had to stir each 5 or 10 minute for a day or two(i dont remember how long it realy has been...)

the film on the platters is toxic if heated or incinerated.you may be able to scrape the film off in spots to give the acid more points of contact.aluminum will passivate after it builds a thick layer of oxidized metal.

the film used to coat the surface of hard drive disk is just a clear polymer coating with magnetic material embedded. there is something special about the older models that newer drives dont have. the magnetic material is a different composition. when i first started recycling computers about ten years ago, scrap yards would only by the outside of the hard drive but not the platters.the reason was the film contained a heavy metal thats released if the film gets burned. its the same as older copiers that had an aluminum drum that had a clear polymer film on it.its the magnetic material thats toxic, well aside from the Phenol's and PCB's thats released from the polymer.

Latest posts

Back