Weird crystals formed in my Auric chloride???

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrick81

Ok... let me start from the beginning. I ground up about 50g of flat packs just to run a test and see what kind of yield I get from them. I processed them in hot HCL for a few days and then dissolved the remaining gold in HCL & CL. I used quite a bit of HCL-Cl so there was not a lot of gold for the solution and it tested pretty weak with stannous chloride so I decided to boil down some to concentrate. I started with 50ml of solution and ended with about 20ml. When the auric chloride cooled to room temp. a couple grams of crystals precipitated out that looked almost like table salt. Next I checked with stannous one more time (expecting it light up purple) nothing, not even after waiting for a few min. Obviously, my stannous must be bad... wrong, tried it with my gold standard that I keep, worked just fine. Any in site or just plain wild guesses would be grate.

Thanks,

Davey

I don't think your stannous is the problem.

It's just... There isn't much gold in 50 grams of flat packs. I'm even surprised that your test showed positive...

Latest posts

Back