Welcome In!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers butcher, still feeling my way around the forum as a daily habit, the info sought has been excellent on my researched topics so far and a very welcome resource. Yep Steves page is back up and purchased 3 dvd's as a starter, just waiting for a price on international post to Australia and between those, the forum, Ammen and Hoke, I am on my way with an excellent start. Slowly , steadily and safe is my approach. Thanks for the welcome in, I will contribute but at the moment I have much research to do and my notebook is fast filling, I really don't want to suffer from foot in mouth disease. Best regards to the learned ones on the forum, I thank you all for your indirect support so far. Cheers B.

When you begin your note book use punched hole paper, not a bound notebook, this way moving, adding, deleting (false or out of date info) will be much easier, you can also add other info (pages, pictures or graphs...

I have a note book (bound type I have been making for about twelve years, it need to be rewritten (many of my earlier entry's were wrong or not the best methods...

Rewriting and reorganizing my note book, will be a daunting task, the book would probably take me as long as it did to re-write it as it has the first time .

At first do not spend much money on supply's, acids chemicals or lab ware, wait until you know what you need (not what you think you need). Your lab can start out with (and successfully run with), second hand kitchen utensils, homemade chemical from different acids, and metals or salts of metals (we can make many of the chemicals or reagents we need from things found at the grocery, hardware, pool spa, or other local stores.

Forget about recovery or refining your gold, gold fever is the best way to lose gold, concentrate on learning first education is the treasure map to where gold is and how to recover and refine it, learn where it hides in scrap, how to prepare or separate it from the trash (and metals which become problems or steal gold from you (tin for example). the hours of study will save years of frustration, and make the difference of success or failure, any body can collect scrap and dissolve gold, the trick is to have the education and understanding of what you are attempting, the education and understanding is actually more precious than the gold, with out it you will not get the gold.

Most important of all is the safety and dealing with waste, not only to protect yourself , and anything or persons around you, but also for the education of how to get gold, much of what I learn from my study in that area has been a major factor in learning the chemistry of recovering refining gold and even making of my own reagents, or processes I can use to recover and refine.
stat with simple materials, memory fingers, karat gold, sterling silver, electronic scrap is full of problems (tin for one, and separating the gold from other metals before they see acid...)

Your biggest problem to overcome at this point is gold fever, jumping ahead of yourself or off the cliff chasing a possible pin size nugget in a dreamed melting dish. Starting out slow and easy the turtle wins the race, patience is key to success. Leaning at fist is a big challenge but become easy over time. do not worry about learning everything at once, we can study and collect information the rest of our lifetime and not even touch the surface.

Have fun be safe.

butcher said:
Rewriting and reorganizing my note book, will be a daunting task, the book would probably take me as long as it did to re-write it as it has the first time . .

Maybe you should consider publishing your book.
I know I would be standing first in line to get one.

Topher_osAUrus said:
butcher said:
Rewriting and reorganizing my note book, will be a daunting task, the book would probably take me as long as it did to re-write it as it has the first time . .

Maybe you should consider publishing your book.
I know I would be standing first in line to get one.

I might argue that point, :lol: Or you may have to share the first place :lol: :lol:

butcher, hey, you know concerning note books after reading your suggestion I will start an A4 partitioned file today, already I am amending, tearing out pages etc as more accurate info or different in some small way comes to light. Quite often found while researching other topics! Which can be very distracting.

Concerning lab gear, you again are absolutely correct, I purchased two used Pyrex batter bowls forgotten the makers name but they were and still are quite useful. Some Pyroceram, a forum favorite and must have especially on non lab standard Pyrex. A few large Stainless non magnetic bowls which were a hard find. Coors 90 mm filter paper porcelain Buchner funnel and Kimax 1000ml vac flask, 20 litre plastic industrial Chemical storage buckets, 45 LPM vacuum pump, Shimadzu laboratory .01 mg resolution scale with internal calibration and a few more bits and bobs including an lpg furnace, Quartz silica and clay graphite crucibles and melt dishes etc and a few Schott Duran 4000ml beakers, 15 l 75% AR Nitric and a lab DC 30v5A power supply, none of this equipment has been bought in a mad rush and has been a gradual acquisition over the past 18 months. The Lab scale I use for weighing of my ADI2208 gunpowder, projectiles and .308 Win cases for Fclass target rifle but is now dual purpose.

I have been an avid stacker of PMs for well ...decades, only now that I don't get to do many trips away to bush for prospecting each year I have found need to aquire the network and skills of an urban prospector, something quite different for me, but my contacts in this area are solid and do not involve themselves in refining. Although these same sources have asked on several occasions for me to refine for them I have declined every single time. While I am in no rush, I have organised with these sources to supply as the need arises at up to 20% below spot depending on the type of PM. For me I can flip the metal immediately, but stockpile the large majority of Karat Au alloy and Ag alloy along with nuggets and specimen Au. I have no desire toward the Platinum group just yet but will prepare for the slimes of P group metals when the time arises due to alloy contaminants. There is much to do in the mean time before I can make a hard startup. Like I said, slow and steady with an emphasis on safety. I know all the above sounds like a lot but it has all been baby steps some of which go back to my early teen years, the inception of PMs interest and acquisition by way of prospecting and the jewellery trade.

Gold fever, well something I could probably actually give some advice on regarding prospecting. I have seen many come and go, allured by the glow of bright metal, but all is not what it seems, in fact without knowledge and education in specific areas of electronics and geology success will be elusive just as the metal you are searching is. It's funny what PM does to people, sad as well as the greed can be insatiable if you let it, it will destroy you and the person you once were. Ahh the precious!!!!He wantses it he does.

The road ahead can be easy, wide and leads to a short flash in the pan, you will find me on the difficult and narrow path that demands your respect as a user, hours of research to successfully navigate it to the end, even if I do succeed in finding ways that do not work along the way, I look forward to those as well, but I promise I will keep those at a safe minimum with the wisdom of my respected senior members on GRF. Now next research topic.....

Hi all. I'm Andrew orange. From fort gibson Oklahoma. I'm 35 years old and have a beautiful wife and 4 boys from ages 8 to 6 months old. They are daddy's helpers. I can't tell you how many screws they have removed for me..i love this place of learning..i spend all my free time when I'm not working on this forum. Thank you all so much. If there is anyone close by who refines e-scrap. Pm me plz and maybe we can help each other. My wife sayes I'm addicted to GRF..and I agree.

andreworange said:
Hi all. I'm Andrew orange. From fort gibson Oklahoma. I'm 35 years old and have a beautiful wife and 4 boys from ages 8 to 6 months old. They are daddy's helpers. I can't tell you how many screws they have removed for me..i love this place of learning..i spend all my free time when I'm not working on this forum. Thank you all so much. If there is anyone close by who refines e-scrap. Pm me plz and maybe we can help each other. My wife sayes I'm addicted to GRF..and I agree.

Welcome, Andrew.
I have a 2 and 4 year old, and they love helping break stuff, i mean "tear down" electronics.
I dont know what you consider close, but I am near Wichita KS

Name : Terrell penner
Sex : m
Profession : soldier soon to retired CH47 Mech
Hobbies : playing with wood (just made my first box ) Legos don't knock it till you built your first automated truck mounted rocket launcher kind like the ones NKorea has only 100th the size anything i can do in the garage welding scuba diving etc.
Interests : making gold silver and platinum coins for a project im doing for my kids
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : interested in it for 10 years or so haven't done it yet
What are you looking for in our community? : knowledge and lots of it its so hard to cut the BS from truth and this forum seems to be a collective group kinda like the office I work in we welcome people with no knowledge but we are all highly knowledged in our felt and its a group brain there's not a day goes by we don't teach each other something im about to have surgery so ill have a lot of time to read and learn from this forum
How did you discover our Forum? : hehehe was looking at buying a shor int simplicity system and luckily stumbled onto this forum, I still have the CD if anyone wants it, but im guessing just from the little reading (over and hour ive done) the cd they sent is better used as a drink holder

Name : Adam
Sex : M
Profession : Teacher
Hobbies : Aquaponics, Hydroponics, Fishing, and now this....
Interests : see above...
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : currently stockpiling for my first batch.
What are you looking for in our community? : Guidance!
How did you discover our Forum? : References in other related places... Don't actually remember where it was.

Name : Maddy
Sex : Female
Profession : Student
Hobbies : I paint with watercolor, play flute, starting to get into coding, do some gardening, and have a pet cockatiel.
Interests : Chemistry, I'm considering it for a major in college.
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : I want to start, I feel like I would learn a lot.
What are you looking for in our community? : Direction, tips and tricks, safety, all that.
How did you discover our Forum? : I actually found a YouTube channel called Cody's Lab and he mentioned this forum, so I decided to come and look!

Name : Mark
Profession : IT Support
Hobbies : Gaming
Interests : Electronics
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : been interested a couple years now,
What are you looking for in our community? : Ah just looking to kindle my desire to get into refining my e-waste & hopefully learn enough to be able to add to the community in the near future
How did you discover our Forum? : found this site a few years ago, forgotten how & I forgot my login details to my old account, so had to reapply for a new account.

Hello,

Name: Jack W.

Sex: M

Profession: odd jobs

Hobbies: hiking

Interests: history & technology

How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals?: caught gold fever as a kid panning in a creek (didn't get anything but a nice quartz collection)

What are you looking for in our community?: knowledge and learning

How did you discover our Forum?: pure luck searching computer gold recovery

Welcome jack
Your in for one hell of a ride if you want to learn, it’s not easy and you need to study the basics before you make any chemical trials, take the guided tour and study the safety section extremely well, many come here and some do prosper but it takes a lot of time and reading, you can do this so knuckle down and start the right way learning from all our mistakes and successes.

Name : John
Profession : Coffee Roaster/Self Employed
Hobbies : Coffee-yoga-penny stock investing-cryptomining-role playing games online like Wartune
Interests :Coffee-yoga-Linuxcoding(learning)-business books reader-real estate investing(commercial/residential)
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : Not long. I stumbled upon this through someone doing it.
What are you looking for in our community? : Advice on organic non-toxic ways to remove gold from circuit boards and finding places that dispose unwanted electronic parts.
How did you discover our Forum? : Google search inquiry

Hello :)

OK, by the numbers :-
Name:- The serialvapist/Fez/Oli
Sex:- whenever they hold still long enough, yes
Age:- actually 36, physically about 70, mentally about 14
Location:- currently, its formally known as Plymouth, UK but to the rest of the country/world it's pretty much the concrete equivalant of a nugget of $hit in the rim of a portaloo at the back of a run down racist museum. (If you've ever met a local plymothian/Devonian you get what I mean) thankfully I'm not a local. Having only 5 digits per limb I don't have enough fingers,toes nor webbing between them to qualify apparently. . . .
Profession:- self employed mechanic/scrapper/odd jobber/a $$hole
Hobbies:- vaping, sarcasm, making weaponry, M/C manufacture, guitar
Interests:- Motorhead, old school IC engine tuning, gut rot home brew and mad max
How long have I been refining/interested in?:- seriously about 2 months once I wrapped my head around its feasibility. I haven't refined anything as of yet as I'm still ploughing my way through safety data tips/tutorials/sreetip uploads/forum lurking and browsing etc and I don't expect to be refining soon as I have approximately 1 metric fu$kton of information to absorb before I begin. I've been slowly stockpiling anything that glitters ;) so that I have plenty to practice with in small batches whilst I'm getting the technique down. Not to mention safe disposal of waste. (Plus I don't want to throw away anything I don't have to, waste not want not mentality)
What am I looking for here? :- Well, guidance mainly. I don't expect to be spoon fed step by step instructions but a "go look at this thread", "so and so has a video/book/haiku/semaphore that covers that query" or even "RTFM!" When appropriate would help loads. Maybe chat to a few others in this particular circle and generally gain then eventually share knowledge/experience and maybe even stories that start with "this one time, at band camp" and end with something like "they never did get it back to its original state but oh how we larffed " hopefully anyways ;)

How did I find this forum?:- I think I found this forum via a sreetip video, I like his uploads, and the way he presents things. There are others I watch but I really his particular style.

Now, about me, I'm apparently a bit rough around the edges but I'm neither ignorant nor rude (not in that way anyways) I have a tendency to the inappropriate a lot of the time and tbh I rarely notice myself doing it, pick me up on it by all means (moderators that means you :p) my language can also be a bit ripe on account of the fact I type like I speak, but if I say or imply anything that unwittingly causes offence just tell me and I'll sort it, we're all adults here. :) im sure you've probably gathered I like to laugh joke and take the pi$$ but that's usually out of situations not people or their comments. Usually. . . . ;)

Like I said I've been lurking for awhile, this is my first post and I'm sure I'll have a list of general ignorance questions once I'm done misunderstanding all the data that's available. Just wanted to say hello, hi and how's it going :)
I like to think of myself as approachable and whilst at the moment I currently know the square root of fu#! All about refining I'm still always open to chat, learn and debate absolutely anything so feel free to ask me questions and point me in the right direction. Even if t is just with your middle finger ;)

Ps. I also waffle on a lot.

Have fun!

Fez

Theserialvapist said:
$hit
a $$hole
fu$kton

Now, about me, I'm apparently a bit rough around the edges but I'm neither ignorant nor rude (not in that way anyways) I have a tendency to the inappropriate a lot of the time and tbh I rarely notice myself doing it, pick me up on it by all means (moderators that means you :p) my language can also be a bit ripe on account of the fact I type like I speak, but if I say or imply anything that unwittingly causes offence just tell me and I'll sort it, we're all adults here. :) im sure you've probably gathered I like to laugh joke and take the pi$$ but that's usually out of situations not people or their comments. Usually. . . . ;)

Fez, your post is inappropriate here. My language can be quite crude as well, but I don't bring that to my writing on the forum. Substituting dollar signs for letters shows you know the words are inappropriate.

I have two grandsons who are somewhat interested in what grandpa does. I will not allow them to be subjected to the type of thinly veiled crude language you seem to favor. I can't control what they see on the rest of the internet, but I can control what they see on this forum.

Your signature line is equally unacceptable. I have deleted it from this post.

If you choose to post again, I expect you to clean up your language and your signature line. Also, do not use text lingo. If not, I will ban you and delete your posts.

Dave

Back