Welcome In!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Name :Randy Hinton
Sex :Male
Profession :Appliance Technician
Hobbies :playing guitar,sound mixing,video games and archery.
Interests :making more money to improve my quality life so i can afford other things i enjoy.
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? :I actually learned the aqua regia process from a jeweler i worked for when I was in high School and interested in getting back into it for extra money.
What are you looking for in our community? :More info.Looking into saltwater refining versus acid and curious about yield amounts vs karat.Shor refining system to be exact.2 oz. capacity.
How did you discover our Forum? google.

Welcome, Randy!

oldschoolnoob said:
What are you looking for in our community? :More info.Looking into saltwater refining versus acid and curious about yield amounts vs karat.Shor refining system to be exact.2 oz. capacity.
Heh heh, search the forum for "Shor" and you'll see exactly what forum members think of these guys. In short, after some study, you'll probably do a lot better on your own than with a Shor system. You'll find most here rely on tried and true methods rather than any new "wondrous discoveries" or as-seen-on-TV type stuff.

Greetings everyone!

My name is John from Westchester Ny and I am honored to be a part of this community. Briefly, I am 47 married 19 years with two teenagers. Im your normal everyday blue collar guy (municipal highway worker). In the past I have always been a "traditional scrapper" in order to secure some supplemental income. As of late (the past year), I was somehow introduced to escrapping for the lack of better words. I enjoy it a great deal to say the least! Therefore I have been stashing all computer related items, more specifically tant caps, hard drives, boards, pins etc.

Im thankful to those that have taught me a great deal from this forum. This recource has been unbelievable and an enormous help in my identification skills among much more. In time I am hoping to conteibute back some tid bits that may assist others in this community.

Until then I will continue to read vigorously in an attempt to strengthen my knowledge to new levels. I do not see myself jumping into any refining procedures as of yet but will probably seek to unload some of my assets I spoke of.

Again, I thank you all and good day to you.

John

Welcome John

Providing information to help people like you is what this form is all about & hearing new members say thank you - well - it makes us feel good about all the time we take to provide that info

Soooo - THANK YOU - for saying thank you

Kurt

Name : Muhammad Rizwanullah Tahir
Sex : male
Profession : Veterinarian
Hobbies : Gardening, Fresh water Aquarist
Interests : Gold Scrape, Gardening, Dairy farming, Chicken farming
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : recently
What are you looking for in our community? : Gold scrape tutorials from beginning to Advanced level
How did you discover our Forum? goldnscrap.com

Hello everyone. My name is Dennis, from southern KY. I'm a scrapper, and an electronics scrapper as well. I currently sell all my precious metals scrap to a business in Ohio, cashforcompurerscrap.com. I do come accross from time to time the scrap ring or old gold coin. I usually take all my coin and kW scrap to the local pawn shop. I get a fair middleman price, plus it's cash on the spot. I'm looking for someone that refines gold from circuit boards and other computer scrap. I have a lot of little tid bits of boards and other gold plated stuff. If anyone is interested in doing this on a commission, please let me know. My email address is ddoan40456@gmail. Thank you

All right, here I go.

Name : Salvador
Sex : Male
Profession : Clinical Chemist
Hobbies : Learning stuff
Interests : Math, chemistry, books, refining (of course).
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : About a year
What are you looking for in our community? : To share my knowledge and get some wisdom form professionals
How did you discover our Forum? : Searching over the internet

I'm very organized but unfortunately the people with whom I work are not, so I always have strange problems that.
I usually think a lot, read a lot and write a lot before executing any action or process so I'm slow like a snail.
I hope we get along guys.

Warm regards.

Jo418 said:
:D Welcome In guys :D
Present your self to the rest of the community, feel free to add things :wink:

Name : adrian
Sex : not often - i'm married.
Profession : Making money. i.e self-employed, also owner/CEO of a small wifi internet business.
Hobbies : Engineering, Electronics, Chemistry, everything of interest
Interests : Everything. I mean, Everything.
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : Just started, and Very Badly.
What are you looking for in our community? : Focus on Doing Things instead of just talk.
How did you discover our Forum? : kadriver when he asked about stuff on SM.

Stuff i can do to help other people, which i like to do, yet am no Expert on any specific subject :-
electronics problems at all levels
computer stuff, like programming, interface design etc.
chemistry. Mostly beginner level stuff.
business: from initial idea, planning/projections, thru making it work, to fixing it when it goes wrong.

Hello

Name : Pete
Profession : Mechanical Engineer
Hobbies : engineering, hobbyist, programming,woodworking
Interests : Science and more science,metal working
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : Have not started refining yet, still learning. I have been interested in it for the past 8 month, and have been doing research before I start
What are you looking for in our community? : Knowledge, verification of process, bounce ideas off people
How did you discover our Forum? : I asked a question on reddit, /r/preciousmetals and was directed to here

I would like to apologies in advance for any poor spelling. I am really bad at spelling.

rogueengineer said:
Hello

Name : Pete
Profession : Mechanical Engineer
Hobbies : engineering, hobbyist, programming,woodworking
Interests : Science and more science,metal working
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : Have not started refining yet, still learning. I have been interested in it for the past 8 month, and have been doing research before I start
What are you looking for in our community? : Knowledge, verification of process, bounce ideas off people
How did you discover our Forum? : I asked a question on reddit, /r/preciousmetals and was directed to here

I would like to apologies in advance for any poor spelling. I am really bad at spelling.

Welcome! I'm glad you came to the forum, and I hope others on reddit do as well. There are plenty of places to get started, but a couple members have excellent links in their signature lines.
Frugalrefiner has a book we regard as our bible, Hoke's refining precious metals
Lazersteve has a guided tour and excellent website.
Other members (memory failing me at the moment) have great links too.
You want to check out "the library", safety section, and then creep some older posts made by our moderators... Goldsilverpro, Lou, Harold_V, butcher, frugalrefiner, lazersteve, noxx... More members to read/watch: Geo, palladium, kadriver... There are tons of others that are VERY proficient at refining.. But that short list is bound to get you well on your way.

Thanks for stopping by :D
I knew that post on reddit would not be in vain.

Name : Rob J
Profession : Wood worker
Hobbies : Scrapping, shooting Bows with gf
Interests : SCIENCE!!! haha
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : ~16 months
What are you looking for in our community? : Good people and knowledge
How did you discover our Forum? : Heard about it on a youtube video

Name : Willie K.
Hobbies : Geology, minerals, gemology, blacksmithing, gem cutting, metal detecting - quite diverse.
Interests : Earth sciences, history and a bunch of other stuff.
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? :
Since I was 9, when I started prospecting. More finding the precious metals then refining though.
What are you looking for in our community? :
Learning, particularly about fire assays. But general learning to.
How did you discover our Forum? :
Googled bismuth+fire assays.

Just checking back in here.
Around two years later, I've moved on to a bigger jar and started saving more components. When I started I got rid of the boards without removing much besides plated scrap. Now I *think* I am saving most/all items.
I am still operating under the idea that a sulfuric cell is the best way to go with for refining the gold in the attached image. I don't currently live in a place where I can do that so I am just reading and re-reading about it. If anyone could reaffirm that idea, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for everything so far, everyone!

Sen said:
Name : Eric
Profession : Factory Operations
Hobbies : Gardening, recycling, self sufficiency, gold recovery, composting & video gaming
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? :
I have had an interest in collecting gold since I was a child. I always wanted to be a gold miner or panner. Once I found an old gold plated audio cord my mom was throwing out, and saved it for like 15 years. I started collecting gold as a hobby about a year ago when I found a youtube video about gold in cell phones.

What are you looking for in our community? : Well, as I continue to gleam bits of information and bookmark interesting threads, sometimes the most interesting part is the pictures of amazing old boards you guys find. Good inspiration. But seriously, I hope to eventually be able to safely and responsibly purify gold I collected and hold it in my hand.

How did you discover our Forum? : Endless googling.

Attached is an image of two jars of gold plated I have removed from free electronics with a pliers. No cost. I do most of this while watching Netflix with my girlfriend. I know that my method is a bit unorthodox and probably not anywhere near efficient, but I enjoy it. More than I should.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 391
Name :Tino Largura
Sex :Male
Profession :Heavy Equip operator
Hobbies :Fishing, inventing, problem solving, creating, studying the universe discoveries
Interests : Gold! Gold! Gold!

Hi everyone, I have been extracting gold from electronics for about four years now. I just signed up for this forum last night. And I want to express my gratitude for the privilege of being a member of this forum and i will do my best to respect the rules and stay a member.
What I am looking for in this community is to extend my knowledge in the gold refining field . get questions i have answered . And just learn the most i can. I am willing to share any experiences i have had with the subject however i do not believe i have any knowledge that can help this community as i am what i would consider an experienced beginner. I am an expert in the sewer and septic field as i have 28 years experience growing up in a family owned business. So anyone with septic problems I can definitely help in any way i can.
I learned about this forum simply by researching the internet for my gold refining research. I knew of forums for other things so i just typed in "gold extraction forum" and this site popped up
I simply have a kinda passion for the extraction of gold from electronics. I have already discovered early in the venture your not gonna get rich quick or sometimes the hobby can be a liability rather than an asset cost wise . However I simply love doing it it would be my dream to do it full time as a primary source of income , however I have not seen that possible as to what i have experienced. If anyone has indeed became totally reliant on extracting precious metals from electronics to provide for their family, and everything, please contact me as i would love to chat with you and learn all that i can. So anyways i have lots of questions but i am going to search the data base of the forum first before i ask anything so i am not asking questions that have been already answered. So once again glad to be here and look forward to being a member of this forum and learning all i can.

Welcome Tino,

Great attitude to start off with, welcome to the forum. Searching and studying this forum will be a great teacher for you. If you do have questions that you feel are unanswered take the time to fully describe your issue and we will get the sense that you have done your homework and you are not asking because you are just too lazy to put in any effort. If you do this before you start asking, you will be helped, and your learning experience will be further enhanced. We have a knack of separating the true enthusiasts from the clowns. Clowns don't last.

Name : Jason Lee
Sex :m
Profession : None
Hobbies : anything,
Interests : i love to learn more about preciuos metal processing and earn money to help my family.
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? : i work on my father small scale gold processing around 1 1/2 years using cyanidation for gold ores
What are you looking for in our community? : friends, advisers, knowlegde, and some business
How did you discover our Forum? : a post on youtube comment.

Name : Ben
Sex : M
Profession :
Hobbies : Camping, Prospecting Gold and Gems, F/class and Pistol Target Shooting, Faceting, Casting, Jewellery, K9 Dog Sports, Electronics and any challenge I deem worthwhile
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? First off started in prospecting when I was an early teen by my dear ol dad so its been a fair while.

Heads up, I am a bit of a lurker, I first found the forum while researching on refining Silver about a 18 months ago. Found some interesting posts on youtube by two guys named, Streetips (Kadriver) and Aquilla Refining(Palladium). Further research has led me here while looking for extra info on gold refining and silver cells. I have a slight interest in Chemistry and Physics due to influence from my dad(was a metallurgist), but am more just simply attracted to PM's, I find the process of refining within my capacity and find it a worthwhile and stimulating challenge. There are not too many people I know in my state that do this sort of thing so the forum is a precious metal resource for me, I have read C.M. Hokes book through Palladium's link(big thanks!!) but have had C.W. Ammens book on refining and recovery of PM's for quite some time, the books are great but modern tech by video is a huge step forward for my type of ability and not having a mentor. Cant get Lazersteves vids though and I'd love to have them for learning and reference. My latest project was an LPG(propane) furnace, totally awesome and I can now make shot in bulk(10 oz in under 5 min) without the cost of an oxy bottle which are not cheap here in Oz.
Anyways, Hi to all, one day maybe I will post something if I learn something of some importance worth sharing.

Welcome to the forum Ben,
I am sure there are many things we can and will learn from you, we all have different life experiences, and understand different things, sharing benefits us all.

So do not just stand back in the corner watching, share with me what you know and I will share what I have learned.

That is what the forum is all about, and it is what has made this forum the best university on the planet for learning about these wonderful metals and how to recover and refine them.

Laser Steve sells his videos on his website, he also has other free videos there, as well as some supplies.
I believe his web site was down for a while but should be back up now. Laser Steve was instrumental in developing many of the work around's, reading the posts of the forum when it was in its infancy, I believe you will not only find it enlightening but educational, many things were discussed then that has been hashed over so many times, we may not discuss them as much now, and then some thing that may have been the best methods that have been themselves refined and may not necessarily be the best method today as we have improved, or found better ways...
I think you are going to love it here.
Butcher

Back