Welcome to all Newbies

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI & Greetings to all.

To say that I`m a noob to these subjects would be a gross understatement, though leans in the right direction.

A little about me:

I was born in London, England, UK, where I am now. I am aged over 40.

Due to the fact that some of us were not brought up, but dragged up, I never really had a `proper` education and NEVER did any chemistry or physics at any of the learning establishments I was ever in. I do find the subject interesting though, as I do, the subject of science in general.

In the only secondary school I was in, (for more than a week), my favourite subjects were, maths, science and metalwork, alas, I was not in that school long enough to learn anything either!

I can barely remember much about our science lessons though, apart from, (upon reflection) we had quite a sexy female teacher and that I nearly passed out from attempting to blow liquid out of the top of some kind of apparatus fixed to the wall (a long tube, (around 15 - 20 feet long), filled with some kind of liquid that ran up & down about 3 or 4 times, open at both ends). The lesson was something about pressures, I cant remember exactly.

We dissected a frog once, not that I can remember much about it. I can remember that we had to write reports of our lessons/experiments, which bored the heck out of me (& many in the class!). Contrarily, for some reason I liked the format we had to write them in, something like, Order, Method & Conclusion.

That was all a long time ago and since then I have a fair interest in a little mechanics, computing and tinkering with electronic devices.

I used to collect/hoard various odd bits & pieces of weird & wonderful electrical and mechanical items, including electrical components thinking that I`d find a good use for them at some point. Unfortunately I don`t possess much of it now. It seems that it would have been quite handy to have held onto much of the electrical components! I think I still have a few pins I cut off of a few CPU`s, some old RAM sticks and CPU`s somewhere but not many and a few old computers.

I play a lot on browser/computer games now and have done for some years. I cant quite remember now what I was 1st looking for when I came across the related subject of Tantalum capacitors & components and the extraction thereof. Reading some of this led me on to gold recovering/refining from electrical devices/components and your site.

Since yesterday I have mostly been on this site, reading, learning and getting more interested in the subject. This has kept me off of my various games for around 20 hours or so, and counting, which is no small thing!

I give respect to most of you guys on here for the effort put in and the knowledge/instruction given. Whether I can understand most of it or not, it`s interesting stuff. :)

I have just 1 reservation so far and I hope I can give my opinion on it, without getting into trouble and/or upsetting any of you.

Your stance on CAPITAL letters, (or more precisely, all Caps.). I understand that some may perceive it as shouting and/or rudeness or some other form of disrespect and I accept that some idiots do try to use them to be ignorant and/or put down others and such, though I haven`t seen any yet here, where this seems to be the case.

Whilst I don`t tend to do this myself, I see no reason to be upset by the use of Caps. if a person chooses to use them and it seems a shame and unbefitting that such intelligent & knowledgeable people would allow themselves to be irked by such and then, enough to berate people for doing so, further, to direct people not to do so. I have seen only 1 example of this and it was reprinted several times, which seems to defeat the purpose.

It seems to me and perhaps others not so closely involved with forums and the like, a little pedantic and off-putting. It made me think twice about reading anymore and participating and posting on forum.

Perhaps context could be considered in such as the example I saw, it appears that the person was only curious for knowledge and not trying to be rude. I don`t know what everyone else`s eyesight is like but personally, it`s actually EASIER & CLEARER to read than lower case text. I would not ask nor expect people to use more Caps. though, to make it easier for me. There are far more important things in life to worry about. :)

Ok, my preamble is long, my questions are short. :)

In this country I have found out that it`s virtually impossible to now get into any small scale form of gold/PM refining/recovering. (I`ve seen something on the semantics of either term, the mind boggles at the time people spend on this, suffice to say, I`m comfortable to just use the term, refining from now on).

1) Assuming 1 could get all the necessary equipment and accrued the relevant knowledge, what is the minimum amount of gold to aim to extract, to learn the process/s well?

(By well I mean, to start off with a small amount of, `base`, fingers, PCB`s or Pins or w/e and all things going well, return a clearly recognisable piece of gold. There are of course myriad variables, but in general)

2) What other book/s apart from the much celebrated, apparent, `Bible`, of Hoke would you recommend for someone with little or no prior knowledge, like myself to learn the very basics.

(I will of course DL & read Hoke as & when I can) :)

Regards:

Wyz.

Welcome to the forum Wyz.
For me the use of capital letters throughout is very off putting to read especially if it's a lengthy post, very similar to posts without any punctuation or proper use of sentences and paragraphs, I tend to skip over them and read more easily comprehensible and pleasurable posts.
The use of the term recovery rather than refining to cover all the processes is simple, when we recover it's a way of concentrating the values we will eventually refine, the term refine means to purify.
Refining once understood is simple the art is in recovering the values economically, safely and with decent results leaving a fairly clean easy material to refine.
Hoke is a really good introduction to both processes that is written for the non chemist, spend enough time reading to understand what she wrote,several readings are necessary for most. Although e scrap isn't covered the basics are still in there you just have to find them.
Spend your time collecting more scrap while you learn, you can rarely have too much scrap.
The forum covers virtually every type of scrap and the various processes to recover and refine them and in honesty 20 hours reading is just scratching the surface of what is here.
I wish you well and hope you are in for the long haul as it takes some time to learn just the first steps and do them safely.

Wyz said:
what is the minimum amount of gold to aim to extract, to learn the process/s well?

(By well I mean, to start off with a small amount of, `base`, fingers, PCB`s or Pins or w/e and all things going well, return a clearly recognisable piece of gold.
Wyz.
[/color]

Hi Wyz, welcome to the forum, still a noob my self, but to answer your question :

Fingers from about 100 RAM sticks is a nice round number, enough to yield a recognizable button (well - tiny, if i Had to guess - 1-2 grams, so enough to get the feel of the process, imho) but small enough not to get sad about if you lose it... (btw save all your solutions and precipitates, if something goes wrong, you almost always can come here and find answer how to fix it... If you saved your materials...)...

But please please remember working with acids can be very dangerous, fumes are corrosive and deadly, you can seriously endanger yourself, people around you and enviroment by not following safety precautions or treating your waste improperly... It would be incredibly ungrateful to all of the amazing people sharing their knowledge here if you hurt yourself or anyone else by carelesly applying information you learned here...

P. S. 20 h is not nearly enough to learn eaven the basics of simplest recovery procedure properly, not eaven talking about necessary safety process, risks or techniques involved, closer to 20 days would be my guess for minimum study time before first recovery run...

Hey yall just getting into the this kinda of thing and have question that it seems that maybe Im overlooking in the forum or just to short of an attention span but either way I haven't been able to find my the answer or really even the topic of discussion I'm hunting for and I have ( read ALOT so far and really getting a little discouraging so I figured I'd just come out and ask considering all the $$ that have already been put towards my new found hobby it woul be devasting for my ppl andyself if i completely lost intrestso please forgive me if my question is one of those said to be " too frequently / repetitively asked). Anyways... my original materials Consist of old computer parts, cellphones, circuit boards, as well as some ores... I've been lucky enough to produce my little bb's so far( so for totalling around 300gs!) Which have passed he acid test (results = somewhere around 10 -14kt different bbs having different purity) but I can't figure out why it still sticking to a magnet... what is causing it or how to fix it. please help!!!! Much appreciate an tips and or suggestions.

Hey yall just getting into the this kinda of thing and have question that it seems that maybe Im overlooking in the forum or just to short of an attention span but either way I haven't been able to find my the answer or really even the topic of discussion I'm hunting for and I have ( read ALOT so far and really getting a little discouraging so I figured I'd just come out and ask considering all the $$ that have already been put towards my new found hobby it woul be devasting for my ppl andyself if i completely lost intrestso please forgive me if my question is one of those said to be " too frequently / repetitively asked). Anyways... my original materials Consist of old computer parts, cellphones, circuit boards, as well as some ores... I've been lucky enough to produce my little bb's so far( so for totalling around 300gs!) Which have passed he acid test (results = somewhere around 10 -14kt different bbs having different purity) but I can't figure out why it still sticking to a magnet... what is causing it or how to fix it. please help!!!! Much appreciate an tips and or suggestions.
I'd suggest punctuation

Are you using a Gold Magnet?

Welcome.
As mentioned punctuation and line shifts make the text easier to read.
A more important thing is, that for our international non English speaking members,
a proper English is needed to be able to use translators.
So please drop the "yall" and similar.
So to your issue.
First of all you need to study some more and luckily we have the remedy for that here on the forum.
I'll post a few links at the end of my post.
E-waste and ores are treated completely different, even E-waste itself are treated different depending on what it is.
So proper separation is important.
Next we do not use scratch tests since they do not tell much.

Please can you describe your process in more detail.
Do you use Aqua Regia HCl/bleach or other to dissolve your Gold.
What do you use to precipitate it and so on.
Just so we get an idea on your processes.

And here the links I promised.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

All,

If you are reading this then you are likely a noob. This is the 1cent tour post for those of you that are overwhelmed with the volume of information here.

The typical posts I refer newbies to.

and last but not least visit my website (link below), watch the videos, and read the documents.

Collect scrap while you are doing this and begin with a small batch to get acquainted with the testing, colors, gases, wastes, and time required to process the scrap you choose. If you run into problems on the small scale, or in the learning stage, post a question or comment and someone will help you out.

If you choose to ignore my instructions and take short cuts, everyone will know by the questions you ask. There is no such thing as a stupid question, but there is such a thing as a question that has already been asked too many times before. This is where the forum search features come in handy.

If you find a broken link along the way be sure to let someone know as we just moved from a different hoster and some of the links have not been repaired yet. 😉

Enjoy!!

Steve

Back