What about processing sockets of "pin-CPU's"?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank-20011

Hello,

I hope I've worded my question comprehensible.

I mean the older ones for CPU's with connection Pins like this one:

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpreviews.123rf.com%2Fimages%2Fradub85%2Fradub851502%2Fradub85150200025%2F36172610-Leere-CPU-Sockel-am-Motherboard-Computer--Stockfoto.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fde.123rf.com%2Fphoto_36172610_leere-cpu-sockel-am-motherboard-computer.html&h=867&w=1300&tbnid=bhD0V05GR1WSVM%3A&docid=Opmr2_OI5I-HRM&itg=1&ei=XFjvVa-DJYHT7Qa73IGQDA&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=246&page=3&start=75&ndsp=37&ved=0CKUCEK0DMFZqFQoTCK-hrPC16McCFYFp2wodO24Awg

If you have a lot of them It's almost impossible to pull out all these little plated parts, it must be hundreds in one socket.
Is it possible to process them in a sulfuric cell, for example on a little mountain of other pins for better electrical contact to EVERY piece?

Whats about pyriolysis, I make some little tests and I have the impression that the plating is gone when I've heated these little pieces to red hot....maybe the diffuse in the surface of the part...maybe a deception!

Regards!

Geo said:
Less than .0001% by weight in gold.
That's 0.000001 * 1000000 = 1 gram per ton. Surely it must be more than that. What is your source of that number?

Common plating thickness seems to be 30μ inch (0.76μm), then it's an easy thing to measure the size of one contact, multiply it with the thickness and density of gold and you know how much gold there is per pin. Next step is count the pins to get the amount of gold per socket.

I leave this for Frank as an exercise, please let us know what you came up with.

Göran

Hi,

huhuhu...o.k. I will count them!

And you Geo, do you let them on boards and sell them or take you em and process them with other stuff (like I want to do)

To anybody who precess them: how do you do that? I don't want to pull them outside their plastic "frame". (i mean the little plated parts)

Regards!

They look impressive in the socket. Break one and retrieve one piece of the metal and look at it with a loupe. The gold is on one tiny tip and only on one side of the metal. I processed 10 pounds of the sockets in the photo and didn't reclaim enough gold to weigh on my scales. They weigh 0.00 tenths of a gram. If you don't recover a tenth of a gram from ten pounds, in my opinion, it's something to just pitch in the refuse.

Göran, I did add one more zero than I intended. That should be one gram per thousand. I figured it would take at least 500 pounds of sockets per gram. All of this is opinion. What I'm trying to get at is they are deceptively gold colored. It is an optical illusion.

Hello,

o.k. Geo, i belive in your experiences...it must be an optical illusion!

I have count the contacts of two different shapes of older sockets...the metal parts have a "golden" U on their top wich clamps the zylindrical pin of the cpu.
I enroll one of these "U"s and they have dimensions like 3mm x 0,3mm and both sides look!!! golden in this case so every of these clamps has an area of almost 2mm².
One of my two sockets have 1922 clamps (31pc by 31pc) the other one have only 618clamps.

O.K. with your experiences it makes no sence to talk about but thanks to you and

regards!

The best yield data is your own yield data. Parts differ depending on when and where they were manufactured. Process a batch and you'll know what you can recover from your material.

Keep meticulous records. Weight of starting material. Pictures are great. Notes on your process; amount of chemicals, time for each step, waste treatment, etc. In the end, you can decide if it's worth your time to process them.

Dave

There are many types of sockets and many types of pins. Pictured ones look like socket for pin less CPU.

patnor1011 said:
There are many types of sockets and many types of pins. Pictured ones look like socket for pin less CPU.

My thoughts as well. In my reply, I said the socket in the picture and not all CPU sockets.

frank-20011 said:
Hi,

huhuhu...o.k. I will count them!

And you Geo, do you let them on boards and sell them or take you em and process them with other stuff (like I want to do)

To anybody who precess them: how do you do that? I don't want to pull them outside their plastic "frame". (i mean the little plated parts)

Regards!

I get really bored, so I'd either use the back of a needle or straight eyeglasses screwdriver and pop them out 1 by 1, or if I'm not that bored, I'll just take a razorblade and cut down each of the rows, and roll them around on the table or "cookie sheet until they're all off of the plastic. They're usually slightly magnetic, so I pick them up with a harddrive magnet and toss them in with the rest of my pins. (I've probably done this to about 30 so far)

I figure that you could just dissolve them in AP, etc, unless it attacks that certain type of plastic.

Edit - I've seen videos where someone took a paint scraper or razor and slides it under the sides of the plastic while still on the board and slowly popped the plastic off, "if you're lucky", you can do this without taking the pins with it. I've only been able to remove the plastic twice so far. It's easier just to scrape the entire thing off the board and cut/crush it up.

counting pin in sockets? no worries the nae of the socke will give you that info, the posted pic from an "older socket" seems not that older its either a 775 or a 1155 there you got the number of pins same as older AMD 940,941 754 etc. I could be mistaken im not an expert.

Uresti

Hello,

countin pins: why easy when you can do it elaborate....no, seriously: I don't know about it and so I've count them... :|

No i have take an enlarged look on my linked socket (i've thought it was that kind of socket where the connection parts looking like little, diagonal blades with rectangularly contact areas...but enlarged i've see it's for the pin-less cpu....)sorry about that...

To Geo: i think after reading that, there are any kinds of sockets...older ones ;-) which are more worth a try? sockets for cpu's with pins?!

Regards....

There is a reason that refiners who buy motherboards just grind them whole for leaching. None I know of bother with the socket pins as a separate source material.

Latest posts

Back