What did I make?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMG

I supersaturated some water with NaCl, added some HCl and a gold plated computer piece. I was testing to see if the HCl would get kicked out of the solution as gas because the water was all tied up by the salt, and so I thought the HCl wouldn't stay in the liquid.
Well I think it was partially true, because it fumed more than it should have and the copper on the part wasn't getting attacked. The liquid stayed absolutely clear for about a day. Then it slowly started turning yellow.
Since then I just let it sit for about a week now.
The gold plate is floating around in there and the solution is very very brown. Looks just like soy sauce. lol
But.. The weird thing is, I poured a bit of the brown liquid out into some plain water and as soon as it hit the water it turned white (from something precipitating). Then I added more and stirred it up and the liquid started turning greenish (but the white precipitate was still there)

Anyone know what the heck the brown juice is?
It's got to be some copper compound.
And what happened when I put it in water?

It's likely saturated with copper II chloride. When added to the water it changed to copper I chloride. Read the copper chloride document on my website to see the colors of various concentrations.

Steve

It's reversible...
I dissolved more salt into the white powder and green liquid, and it turned brown again. All of the white powder dissolved and most of the salt did too.
If the white powder is CuCl, then thats pretty interesting that salt would make it jump to a higher chloride and dissolve
I wonder what would happen if you try to dissolve gold in a supersaturated salt solution. Maybe the extra Cl's in there would help/speed up putting gold into solution.

Ok. I will. I forget that you have lots of docs on your site too.
btw. Are your video's down? Mine don't play. They just say they're ready, but nothing happens.

Well that solves it then..
The brown liquid was a very high concentration of dissolved CuCl.
Adding NaCl allows a high concentration of CuCl to be dissolved.
Adding water inhibits the solubility of CuCl, thus it comes out of solution as the white powder.

What was the gold plated onto? Was there solder ,nickel, copper?
This is actually my first step in E-scrap processing. The galvanic cell created strips the solder and leaves most of the copper. If you had solder the white could be lead chloride and/or silver chloride. If it sits too long, the copper will start to dissolve too, depending on whether there is a base metal more noble than copper.

Latest posts

Back