What do i have now?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster1a

I mixed AR with 3/4 hydrochloric and 1/4 nitric acid but put very dirty scrap into that. the metals I put in were probably 20% gold 80% copper and board scraps and everything costume jewelry etc. It all melted except some fiberglass board pieces and some processor chip ceramic parts. Very rich dark green color. When I went to precipitate using SMB I just get a brown sludge on bottom of container. poured more smb in and just got more brown sludge. tried changing ph by adding soda ash then trying it again and still only get brown sludge. Help Is it retrieveable?

After you got all of the brown sludge did you test the solution with stannous chloride to see if it was still holding gold in solution?

Jim is right, you made a mess, but you need to give details of your testing if you want any meaningful advice.

The brown sludge was likely your gold precipitating back out of solution after you added the SMB

adding the soda ash was a mistake as it likely caused base metal contamination to precipitate as well

I see you are a new member that has just joined & you clearly don't have enough clear instruction on how to do this to actually be doing it yet - meaning you still have a lot of research to do to better understand this - & that's part what this forum provides - a place to research in depth information about doing this - & as well we are here to help with questions

Pictures & good/complete explanations of what you did are a big help to us in giving good answers to your questions

Kurt

Latest posts

Back