What do you think?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdoc

Think he's selling silver for platinum price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260472859916&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I can't believe people would bid that kind of money without
doing a little homework.
Jim

I did an Ebay search for 950 mexico and all the
hits are for silver items. You think the bidders
would at least do that. Somebody is gonna be
unhappy and poorer,but they will have a nice
silver bracelet.
Jim

I think it's an intended scam. The seller knows what it is. He's sending it out Priority Mail with no insurance offered. He also says in two places that no returns will be accepted. Let the buyer BEWARE!!! The crooks are out in full force.

Even though he states that no return accepeted, If it is not as advertised, then you file a claim against the seller via PayPal and if you can prove that the seller did not deliver as advertised, then PayPal will get the money back from the seller and refund it to the buyer.

I have a current dispute going on. Purchased one pound that also list it as 19 items. I received the 19 items, but it is short of the one pound mark. I weighed it and can olny come up with 12.3 oz on my scale. Seller said tough luck. You got what you purchased, but perhaps my scale is not calibrated. Will see how PayPal looks at it.

I saw this item a few days ago, and wondered about it. Too much money for me to even think about it.

Ok, How about this one for the experts. I do not know what all of the letters stand for, but perhaps someone does:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180410501917&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Is this truly dental material/metal?

Even if you win the dispute with paypal, you still lose. Most of the time you have to pay to ship it back. I had a dispute about some DVDs I bought for exercise (not me, my wife. I like my round shape). They were fakes. Not what was in the picture. The guy said it was from US, but the item came from China. Paypal wanted me to ship it back to China before receiving credit. I told them i would if there was a US address. No such luck. Bottom line, I did not receive credit. I was able to get him kicked off ebay, but I am sure he is back on with a new user name.

oldtimmer said:
Is this truly dental material/metal?
Ney is a (US) supplier of precious metals. You may have good fortune contacting them for a description (composition) of the shown pieces. If you can read them, the code is there. I can't make it out.

Harold

I found this on the web for contact info perhaps they can tell you more.

http://www.ceramco.com/prod_alloys_cb.shtml#17

Don't bet the farm on it but their [Ney G-Cast] alloy may be a candidate for a match.

Boy, wouldn't it be interesting to be in the same room with the buyer when he finds out the truth? Talk about your reality shows!

I don't think he has a chance of getting his money back and with no returns accepted clearly stated twice on the auction, I doubt that Ebay will do anything. If the seller gets his funds first, before the buyer can lodge a dispute, how can ebay get him a refund.

I really feel sorry for the buyer but I think he got himself in too deep trouble.

dickb

"950 Platinum Bracelet"

If the seller doesn't ship a 950 platinum bracelet, then the item itself was never sent.

Switching items does not constitute delivery of the advertised item.

No delivery = No pay.

I don't see how there could be any question about that.

patnor;

I understand the sequence.

The question seems to be "is it justifiable if the buyer gets a silver bracelet instead of a platinum one."

What I'm saying is either the seller ships what he advertised, or it's fraud.

If it was paid by paypal, they should return the buyers money if it's not platinum.

If he used a credit card, they will give a chargeback.

The title of the sale stated "Huge 950 Platinum Bracelet," and that's what it should be shipped.

In other words, if the seller doesn't deliver a 950 platinum bracelet that looks like the one in the picture, then he didn't deliver the item.

yes. but it depens on what coverage paypal provide. it ws something like 500$ no? I had few episodes with paypal but everytime i was right and got my money back. buyer will get back his money if it is not platinum. however it will be probably hard as he will be forced to prove that it is not platinum...

patnor;

I've never used PayPal, so I don't know if they have a maximum coverage or not. It would be kind of dumb to buy anything that exceeded the maximum coverage, though.

Yeah, proving it's not platinum would be interesting. I guess an appraisal document might do it.

Copied from the eBay police blotter.

UK Man Convicted in Counterfeit Scam

Davut Turk, living in the UK, raked in tens of thousands of dollars selling expensive jewelry and ornaments on eBay over the past two years. Although described as silver, the products were actually made of brass. Turk's lucrative scam, which netted him approximately $70,000, was exposed when a customer complaint led to raids on his home and a nearby storage locker. Mr. Turk was recently convicted of 30 offenses relating to trade descriptions and the use of counterfeit hallmarks. Officers found more than 200 pounds of fake silver items, ranging from rings and necklaces to candelabras and salt and pepper shakers. Turk was ordered to pay close to $10,000 in court fees and fines. eBay and PayPal investigators assisted law enforcement in an ongoing basis over the course of several months. They were able to assist investigators trace the funds received for this scam as Mr. Turk used PayPal to accept payment from his victims.

Here's an update.

Ebay item # 260472859916

Auction ended Sept 24

The seller has no other items listed and has not received feedback from the buyer.

I would think by now the buyer would have received the bracelet and had time to check it out and post feedback?

dickb

Latest posts

Back