What is the best FLUX for keyboard mylar incineration, if any?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mysurveymail

What is the best FLUX for keyboard mylar incineration, if any?

I read here or or there or somewhere deceased, that a bit of "caustic soda" and some "BORAX" would help as a flux. A 20lb "lump" suggests my temp did NOT get hot enough on the first meltdown. That is cool, I have another 20lbs of keyboard mylars to add to the giant enameled cast iron "crucible." I just wondered if the yield would be better with one flavor of FLUX or another, or none at all? Secondarily, should I just keep tossing another oak log under and keep it going until the shiny stuff is at the bottom? OR once it is a a giant lump, then add an oxy/acetylene torch to the incineration, DOES THIS ADD NECESSARY OXYGEN TO THE PROCESS? Or should I just keep tossing another oak log under and keep it going until the shiny stuff is at the bottom? I would hate to add more CO2 to the air than is required. I have plenty of oak logs, and plenty of propane, and Oxy/Acetylene. I just need an experienced straight forward answer.

Thanking y'all in advance.

WHAT's the FLUX?

Pass the Mylars through a paper shredder then put the pieces into a tumbler the silver will abrade off, just wash the dust off this will be the silver your after.

No other abrasive needed run the tumbler dry, if you want to hurry things add some resin.
Screenshot-from-2021-07-30-07-22-25.png

Latest posts

Back