What is the solvent to Tin and Nickel together?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the help of tin and nickel solvent, I need to liquefy it. There is a solvent that can be liquefied at the same time. I heard. All I know is that it doesn't hurt when you put your hand in the solvent.
What could this be?

Welcome to the forum.

To answer questions like that, i look at the solubility chart.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_chart
The chlorides of both tin and nickel are soluble.

So HCL would do the job.

In what form is the tin and nickel and why do you need to liquefy it?

Martijn.

I didn't edited my post.
I'm searching different solvent from HCl because it doesn't hurt when you put your hand in the solvent.

I must have thought I've read something else then. My apologies.

The clean new solvent may be safe to put your hand in. Once nickel has gone 'liquid' it is in solution.
From that point you have a metal in solution. Not so safe anymore... actually quite toxic. And can enter your body through your skin.

Liqiud is a state a substance can be in. Like solid, gas and plasma state.
Dissolved is a substance gone in solution; reduced and bonded to other elements to form salts.
I understand google translation may be the issue here.

Safe-protected from or not exposed to danger or risk; not likely to be harmed or lost.

While hcl might not hurt putting your hand in it. It still can be very dangerous. Can still cause burns, leading from light to very severe. Can potentially lead to blindness. If you ever notice it on you and your skin is tingling. It is effecting your nervous system. Can also scar lung and nose tissues that are irreversable.

Think of your skin like papertowels or a sponge. Your skin has pores and will soak up whatever directly exposed to. Saying "safe" makes me think you would use this term loosely with no regard of precaution as to work under direct exposure when its a clean solution.

Martijn is correct. Its even worse when a dissolution of metal(s) is there. Nickel is toxic. Making it a liquified state and introducing your skin to it under same conditions. Just gives it easier access to enter the body.

As to the question. Are you asking what solvent will dissolve tin and nickel other than hcl?

My guess is, it's one of the cyanide variants that's made the rounds in recent years. I've seen similar videos in the past. Someone sticks their hands into a clear solution to show how "safe" it is. Then they usually dunk some gold plated fingers or other plated components into it, and the gold magically disappears.

Done as they show, it is relatively safe. A cyanide solution is relatively safe to intact skin. That changes if there are any scratches or cuts on the skin. As others have pointed out, it changes even more once metals are dissolved in the solution, especially very hazardous metals like nickel, copper, the PGMs, etc.

Dave

Thank you for your comments BY FrugalRefiner, acpeacemaker and Martijn. Solvent handling is done before the nickel is liquid.
Cyanide solution came to my mind too, but I didn't try it because I couldn't find any clear information.
Said Acpeacemaker: Are you asking what solvent will dissolve tin and nickel other than hcl?
Yes I am looking for a solver as FrugalRefiner said. It's like being able to touch before the reaction starts.
This solvent could dissolve Nickel and Tin at the same time.
Thank you again. If you can find this solvent, please let me know.

Latest posts

Back