What is this dodad

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldinsulator

Well what is this, and what is the best way to process this and the other tennie tiny bits that have solder all over them.

also where can i find your guys posts on a list what bits have what metals and how to process the whole board, i really would to do this for the extra few bucks and to fill my unemployed time, i can get a fair amount of scrap electronics.

Attachments

• 483757_444250188984904_1247295877_n.jpg
    483757_444250188984904_1247295877_n.jpg
    20.3 KB
It's hard to tell by the picture, but it looks like it may be a Monolithic Ceramic Capacitor (MCC). If possible, take a picture of it in more lighting or scan it with a scanner. If all else fails, try to get the no#'s off of it, if it has any.
If it is a MCC, those particular ones contain Palladium, and some Silver too.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin .
That is a picture through a magnifying glass no numbers that I saw. The others are even smaller. So if it has silver and palladium. would i crush them and put in nitric acid to get the silver out , then process the left overs for palladium? Right now I have 2lbs of them and other tiny bits I scraped off the boards.

All black chips I separate.cook over fire in stainless pot, wash them then will process for gold and platinum.

I am just getting started here and have spent hours reading all the great posts and how too's.

John

goldinsulator said:
Thanks Kevin .
That is a picture through a magnifying glass no numbers that I saw. The others are even smaller. So if it has silver and palladium. would i crush them and put in nitric acid to get the silver out , then process the left overs for palladium? Right now I have 2lbs of them and other tiny bits I scraped off the boards.

All black chips I separate.cook over fire in stainless pot, wash them then will process for gold and platinum.

I am just getting started here and have spent hours reading all the great posts and how too's.

John
What you need to do to make sure you're doing everything correctly is to read Hoke's book, and, if they are indeed MCC's, forum member samuel-a has a video on YouTube that should help. I have a few pounds of them but I haven't processed any as of yet. They do come in different sizes, all the way down to not even knowing what it is unless you use a magnifying glass.

Is the piece in the picture silver colored on the ends and brown in the middle? If it is, then that's a MCC (Monolithic Ceramic Capacitor).

Kevin

yes indeed it is Kevin . and yes they do get that small even the black chips, so as I am reading points in hokes book i will also be checking out samuels video. THANKS I have rushed as far as i need to and these are steps i will be planning to do i have a stacks of boards yet to clean.

John

goldinsulator said:
yes indeed it is Kevin . and yes they do get that small even the black chips, so as I am reading points in hokes book i will also be checking out samuels video. THANKS I have rushed as far as i need to and these are steps i will be planning to do i have a stacks of boards yet to clean.

John
I'll upload an image of them just so we're all on the same page and new members can see too.

From what I've collected so far, according to those particular MCC's, They're mostly in hard drive logic boards. You can also find them on motherboards and other electronics. But like I said, I believe they're mostly on hard drive logic boards. As a matter of fact, the biggest ones I've seen were on hd logic boards. I'll line all the sizes I have and scan them and upload them here so you and others can see them.

Some of them are actually smaller than a grain of rice. I'll place them all next to a ruler for comparison.

Kevin

goldinsulator said:
Thanks Kevin .

John

You will have hard time to find platinum in black IC. You probably meant to say palladium. That is a whole different story then. 8)

Yes indeed patnor1011 I did mean palldium. And thanks again for your inputs since I have been on here. The platium is on the hard drive disks I believe and that is another process I will be studying to do. Do you have the links for easier finding and reading, on processing them to start with, I have read about boiling in aqua regina to get the purified platium but not how to get it of the aluminum and glass disks.

Thanks again John

goldinsulator said:
Yes indeed patnor1011 I did mean palldium. And thanks again for your inputs since I have been on here. The platium is on the hard drive disks I believe and that is another process I will be studying to do. Do you have the links for easier finding and reading, on processing them to start with, I have read about boiling in aqua regina to get the purified platium but not how to get it of the aluminum and glass disks.

Thanks again John

John, that is a fight with windmills.
There is more value in aluminium that platinum on hdd disc. Plenty of threads on that topic. Platters are better to sell as aluminium that is much better and profitable than attempt of any recovery.

Here is the video to the palladium recovery of the MCC's. Those are the ones that contain palladium and maybe silver too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWftjRnNrNw[/youtube]

Kevin

VERY NICE !!! Well i am on my newbie way Thank You Steve, patnor1011, Kevin.
As soon as my new stannous chloride an crucible gets here in another day or 2 .
This newbie will be making his first gold.....

What a GREAT site and thing to be a part of.

goldinsulator said:
VERY NICE !!! Well i am on my newbie way Thank You Steve, patnor1011, Kevin.
As soon as my new stannous chloride an crucible gets here in another day or 2 .
This newbie will be making his first gold.....

What a GREAT site and thing to be a part of.
Don't expect to get any gold out of those capacitors.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back