What kind of stannous Chloride do I get?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yossarian

I am Looking to order some but they have so many selections I really have no clue what I need.

-Stannous Chloride Anhydrous (Cryst. Powder or Flakes/Technical)
-Stannous Chloride Dihydrate (Cryst./Certified ACS)
-Stannous Chloride Dihydrate (Cryst./Technical)
-Stannic Chloride Pentahydrate (Cryst./Laboratory)
-Stannous Chloride Dihydrate FSE
-Tin(II) Chloride Dihydrate 97%
-Tin(II) Chloride Dihydrate p.a.
-Tin(II) Chloride Dihydrate, Reagent ACS, Crystals
-Tin(II) Chloride, Anhydrous 98%

Which is the variation I need to get?

Also, as a bonus question, I would love to know what all these variations mean and what they are. But please only answer that if you feel like it, as this is purely for my own intellectual curiosity.

You can substitute the word stannous for tin(II) - same thing.

The only one I see that absolutely won't work is the stannic chloride pentahydrate. It is tin(IV). Totally different chemical.

The anhydrous (means no water) is just stannous chloride, SnCl2. Dihydrate is SnCl2.2H2O. It contains 2 waters of hydration and is thus weaker per unit weight. The dihydrate is 84% as strong as the anhydrous.

The other terms: Technical, ACS, etc., are purity grade designations and, the purer, the more expensive. The technical grade is probably the cheapest and will work fine.

I would probably get the first one (Technical, anhydrous) or the last one (98%, anhydrous). They're probably the same thing.

The last I bought was off ebay - 98% anhydrous. I paid about $12 + shipping for 1/4 pound. I only use 1 gram when I make the solution so that's enough for 113 batches. Keep it sealed and out of the light. I think this is the same guy. You might contact him and see what he wants for a Buy Now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stannous-Chloride-Anhydrous-98-1-4-lb-/251107936911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a77330a8f

Latest posts

Back