what to do after percipitation from auric chloride with smb

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan6342

used the acid peroxide to strip all my foils off, then used the clorox and muriatic acid method to dissolve the foils. then added smb solution, and all the gold came out over a period of about 1-2 days and settled at the bottom. i then siphoned off the excess which still has a slight yellow tint and added some more smb to it and set aside. then what i had at the bottom was gold, but it seemes too fine for filters, like its just little teeny particles. so what do you do after syphoning with the bottom layer of gold in acid?

If your particles are very small, normal for contaminated gold powder on the first SMB drop, 2 or 3 coffee filters will catch it all just fine. Just make sure the solution is very settled before you begin to pour off the excess. Once you get some clean water into the remaining powder and heat it up you'll notice the powder start to clump up as the contaminants are separated from gold powder.

What I don't understand is anyone's need to filter precipitated gold. What is your purpose? What are you trying to accomplish?

Once gold has been precipitated, there is no need to remover it from the vessel until you wish to weigh or melt. If you have followed acceptable procedures, it will be easy to handle, and you won't use a filter.

I never recommend precipitation in anything aside from a heat tolerant vessel. Beakers come to mind----the perfect vessel for precipitation.

Harold

I have my gold in solution and I added SMS to it and I have a brownish solution precipitate but the solution is not clear in fact...it is muddy...I should have 203 grams of gold coming out.

The suffer smell is strong when I stir it..I have added 500 grams of SMS and I would have thought the entire gold would be out by now..and it doesn't appear to be the case.

I have the tub sitting outside and the temp is 30..

Is this my problem?

I have another 165 grams of expected gold in another solution bottle...can or should I add this to the batch I am trying to precipitate ?

I started out with 491 18 KY scrap, shotted, aqua rega, nacl urea.. filterd silver out .and now am trying to get the gold out.

How long should precipitaion take ?

DID I ruin the batch ?

my guess would be that you added too much precipitant. the problem this creates is: the sodium sulfite will create small bubbles of SO2 gas on all available surfaces and gold, instead of precipitating in solid particles, precipitates in a sponge that holds the bubbles of SO2 causing it to float. gently heat the solution till it steams. keep it at this temperature for about an hour and then let it cool. the gold should settle nicely.

1bigboy said:
I have my gold in solution and I added SMS to it and I have a brownish solution precipitate but the solution is not clear in fact...it is muddy...I should have 203 grams of gold coming out.

The suffer smell is strong when I stir it..I have added 500 grams of SMS and I would have thought the entire gold would be out by now..and it doesn't appear to be the case.

I have the tub sitting outside and the temp is 30..

Is this my problem?

I have another 165 grams of expected gold in another solution bottle...can or should I add this to the batch I am trying to precipitate ?

I started out with 491 18 KY scrap, shotted, aqua rega, nacl urea.. filterd silver out .and now am trying to get the gold out.

How long should precipitaion take ?

DID I ruin the batch ?

Gold will always be there unless you throw it away.

For the record I wasn't advocating the filtering of precipitated gold, perhaps I was wrong in the interpretation of his question, but it looked to me he wanted to decant the SMB solution away from his precipitate, but was worried some of the particles would escape as well. Hence my advice of heat to clump and filters for the "just in case" floaters. However, what I've found the floaters in an initial SMB drop usually aren't gold anyways.

Once I have gold in a beaker, it never leaves until it hits the scale to weight, then right into the melting dish.

Sorry for the confusion.

Harold_V said:
What I don't understand is anyone's need to filter precipitated gold. What is your purpose? What are you trying to accomplish?

Once gold has been precipitated, there is no need to remover it from the vessel until you wish to weigh or melt. If you have followed acceptable procedures, it will be easy to handle, and you won't use a filter.

I never recommend precipitation in anything aside from a heat tolerant vessel. Beakers come to mind----the perfect vessel for precipitation.

Harold

actually, if the precipitate has any impurities, gold crystals will form on the surface of the solution throughout the process of precipitating. if the process goes on long enough, these crystals will gain enough weight to sink but that brown stuff floating in your beaker is gold.

Harold_V said:

Harold

Harold,

What do you think of using a seperatory funnel like shown in the links below?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=See-All-Categories&_from=R40&_nkw=separatory%20funnel&_fscr=1

It seems like it would be ideal from this.

fermi said:
Harold_V said:

Harold

Harold,

What do you think of using a seperatory funnel like shown in the links below?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=See-All-Categories&_from=R40&_nkw=separatory%20funnel&_fscr=1

It seems like it would be ideal from this.

For what reason? Can you not see that it's not necessary?

Harold

The seperatory funnel will stir the powders with fluid above as you drain it in my opinion.

I decant (siphon) the liquid from well-settled powders, using suction bulb and pipette.

The bulb of an old pipette is cut of and it can be put on suction bulb for more reach and to get solution very close to powder when vessel tilted.

The suction bulb can transfer a gallon of liquid in few minutes; the suction bulb can also be used to start a siphoning hose when transferring liquid from large barrels or buckets.

Attachments

• suction.jpg
    suction.jpg
    3.2 KB
  • pipettes.jpg
    pipettes.jpg
    3.3 KB

Latest posts

Back