What to do with spent sulphuric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddie

I would like to take silver chloride and use the zinc reduction method to change the metal to metallic silver.
Now there is silver chloride in a shallow dish with dilute sulphuric acid
1part sulphuric and 15-20 parts water like Ammen says.
I add the zinc shavings to precipitate.
My question is this
What to do with the waste
Which is sulphuric acid and a bit of zinc.
Should I follow 4metals thread on dealing with waste or is there a way to turn this waste into something usable
Thanks

reuse would some what depend on PH, how much hydrogen left.
zink will dissplace the sulfuric acids ,hydrogen, makeing zink sulfate.

do you have moss on your roof?

Hi butcher
Thanks for your reply
I dont have moss on my roof
I guess throwing this spent acid don the drain will not be any problem or should I remove the zinc before I do that

golddie said:
Hi butcher
Thanks for your reply
I dont have moss on my roof
I guess throwing this spent acid don the drain will not be any problem or should I remove the zinc before I do that

Zinc residue isn't a problem in small quantities and Sulfuric is used as a drain cleaner. Clean your drain. :p

If you would have used iron instead of zinc the left over liquid is ferrous sulphate which can dehydrated and used to precipitate gold. Iron is not as fast as zinc, but it works.

You can watch the video on my website:

http://goldrecovery.us

In the silver section.

Steve

Using sulfuric acid as a drain cleaner, although sold in Hardware stores, is not really a good idea. It will chew up the organics great but it also does a number on your pipes. The easiest thing to do is dilute it and neutralize it. This is accepted Good Laboratory Practice. Dilute the H2SO4 with water by adding the acid to the water SLOWLY, allow to cool, then add Sodium Bicarbonate solution (Baking Soda). Dump down the drain. EPA frowns upon any solution going down the drain at a pH of less than 3 or greater than 11. Small amounts are usually not a problem if you just run alot of water.

Latest posts

Back