What to pay for cpus,boards,cards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gold content of flip chips and later generation cpus is very small. Less than 0.5 grams per pound, with new P4's and Athlons at less than 0.25 grams per pound at best.

Steve

so, pretty much anything PII and up should be avoided unless they are slot cards, or are there a few exceptions?

EDIT: Found my answer:

"The FC-PGA (Flip Chip-Pin Grid Array) package is used on certain Intel Celeron, Pentium III, and Pentium 4 family microprocessors. FC-PGA processors fit into zero insertion force (ZIF) Socket 370 and Socket 478 motherboard sockets; similar packages have also been used by AMD.

FC-PGA packaging is used by Pentium III processors, and Celeron 533, unofficially called 533A, processors onward. Earlier Celeron processors used PPGA packaging, the fastest was at 533 MHz.

FC-PGA2, adds a heat spreader over the silicon core and is used on late Pentium III processors and most Pentium 4 and Celeron processors using Socket 478 (180nm Willamette and 130nm Northwood). FC-PGA4 is used by Intel Pentium 4 and Celeron D processors using 90 nm process (Prescott based) also with integrated heat spreader. Intel Mobile Pentium 4-M processors did not have the integrated heat spreader and so use FC-PGA packaging.

Intel replaced FC-PGA style packaging with the land grid array (LGA775) or FC-LGA4 packaging on Prescott-based Pentium 4 and Celeron D processors which no longer have pins."

So, in summary, a list of flip chips, with assumably low gold content:

1. Celeron, PIII, and P4 on Socket 370 and Socket 478.
2. Celeron 533 (unofficially called 533A), Celeron D, and Intel Mobile Pentium 4-M

I'm sure this list could be expanded to include many other cpus with low gold content. Any additions are more than appreciated!

Ya know, I loved my core two duo. That was, untill I spilled a glass of tea on the motherboard and fried everything. Best computer I ever built. It sure beat my P4 prescott 5 times over.

Latest posts

Back