What type of vacuum pump

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bswartzwelder

When using a Buchener funnel for filtering, what kind of vacuum pump is recommended? Seem to me that any pump with metal parts would have a very high mortality rate.

There are vacuum pumps that will tolerate exposure to acid. You may not like the price.

I always used an aspirator. Water, for me, was not expensive, and it was dead reliable.

Harold

Thank you, Harold. I'll start looking into one. Who knows, there might be some deals out there. I'm in recovery mode from having my left knee replaced and have varying amounts of time and energy during the days.

Shop from home. This is a low water inlet pressure plastic model, metal versions can be found.

http://www.amazon.com/Aspirator-minimum-water-pressure-vacuum/dp/B00481TQSO/ref=pd_sbs_indust_19

Many folks use handheld pump type vacuums. Like Mity Vacs, for doing brake fluid work.

I use one of the large, floor model Mity Vacs. It doubles as the vacuum source for my to pull oil when doing oil changes from cars.

MIT7400.jpg

[/quote]
I love it, it's quiet and a real work horse. I have two, but one is on loan to a friend.
Steve[/quote]

+1 & -1...

"You can tell the quality of a engineer by the quality of his tools"

You know why he's got good tools?
'cause he never lends them......

I used to use one, butt then i gave up, i use gravity, a bit slower butt it dont burn out :lol:

Ok that was not the answer you wanted, so, if i need to use one, i would use one i salvaged from a refrigerator, i have several, they have great suck, reliable, didnt cost anything and when they die they go into the scrap bin.

Take Harolds advice, wash that which gets sucked out, liquids tend to boil at lower temperatures when under vacuume.

Cheers

Deano

Water aspirators are great especially with for there price. Its easy to assemble a recirculation system for one using a sump pump from the home depot. These are great for avoiding large water bills. You just have to take care that you keep the water as cold as possible so that you can achieve maximum Vacuum with them. Here are a couple of good links to check out:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=13241 Information related to the construction of a recirculation system.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17664 Some info on determining max vacuum based on water temperature.

KNF is the best in my opinion so long as you can get past the pricing. I've been using a KNF for almost 6 years now, and I don't ever plan on going back :) . You just have to be sure that you don't get any solids into the diaphragms, and allow it to purge to atmosphere for a minute or two after use to clean out any condensate. If you don't it will seize up on and you'll have loads of fun getting the thing all cleaned out................

Latest posts

Back