what would you pay for 650 grams of fingers?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acpeacemaker

Hey, I'm curious what some might pay for 650 grams of huge fat fingers? I ran into a guy today which could be a future client. He started out saying he wanted "about" $200. Which I'm trying to come up with a counter offer. 200.00 sounded quite high even for ebay. I don't want to offend him though, like I said future prospect. -Andrew

It sounds like he may have in his head that they are worth quite a bit than they are really worth. Maybe you could explain to him or better yet, show him how much they are currently selling for on on E-Bay. If you don't deal with this now, he will always expect a high price to be paid for his material. :|

Huge fat fingers... To me it will sound that there is way more plastic in total weight when compare that to regular small fingers from close cut RAM. If your huge fat fingers means bigger fingers like we can see on very old hig hard drives then I would tend to think that yield will be less than on the same weight of fingers from RAM. There will be not much of a difference in thickness of plating. People were not stupid when plating 10, 20, 30 years ago and not much things changed in plating processes.

All that means more thicker plastic hence less plating even that it appears better.
Think 600 grams of lentils VS 600 grams of beans. What will give you more skin?

acpeacemaker said:
Hey, I'm curious what some might pay for 650 grams of huge fat fingers? I ran into a guy today which could be a future client. He started out saying he wanted "about" $200. Which I'm trying to come up with a counter offer. 200.00 sounded quite high even for ebay. I don't want to offend him though, like I said future prospect. -Andrew

If the seller is unrealistic, he will never be satisfied as future refining customer - walk, you do not want him as a client.

Regards
Rusty

rusty said:
If the seller is unrealistic, he will never be satisfied as future refining customer - walk, you do not want him as a client.

Regards
Rusty
No truer words have been spoken on this forum.

I know, from personal experience, if a customer has unrealistic expectations, you will end up being a thief, in spite of having been painfully honest. Happened to me when a customer submitted bench filings and expected a return of 58%.

Ain't gonna happen unless the filings are captured directly from the cutter and never allowed to mingle with other garbage. No amount of reasoning with this individual would pacify him.

Harold

If I may share an experience I just had.
Someone gave me 40 PC's, & I cut the fingers off the ram cards & other cards found in them. Since most of my refining has been of scrap gold jewelry & little e-scrap, I did some reading in the forum so I could have an idea of how much gold to expect from these fingers.
I had 130g of fingers & thought I would recover about 2 or 3 g of gold. After reading a post of a fellow member that had processed about 1560g of fingers, & recovered 12g of gold, I figured I would recover only 1 gram. I was correct. So, I believe that depending on the type of fingers, one could expect 1 g of gold per 130 g of fingers. Again, it depends the type & how close cut they are & so on.
The pic' is of some of the left over. From now on, when I'm estimating, I'll look for these type of fingers.

I would say, that if the fingers are like the ones I processed, 650 g would yield about 5 g.
At $1540.00/oz or $49.51/gram x 5 g = $247.56 x .80% = $198.05.

Kindly,

Phil

Attachments

• june'11 003.JPG
    june'11 003.JPG
    80.7 KB
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been able to get back at this post. I have to say thank you for everyone's insight. I coundn't agree with you more, however I did go back and speak with him. He's a jeweler and sometimes comes across things like the fingers people bring to him frequently along with other pm items. So we talked a while, and come to find out he really just didn't have an idea of value. (200 mark was thrown out there. Long story short we agreed on 75.00. The fingers peel off like tape. He gave me also gave an offer of as much gold filled as I wanted at .60 cents a gram. Is that bad?The pocket watch piece came from what he was offering as there is a lot of it.- he gave me the one peice- Anyways thank you again for the sincerity- Andrew

I felt this was a good opportunity to share something.
Almost all of you know that I have owned a tree service for a very long time(17 years as of this hurricane season).
One of my contractors is a very dear friend of ours,and has given us countless contracts over the years.During a particularly bad financial time we were having,he sent us to bid a land clearing job.After bidding the job I called him to thank him,and explained what the job was going to be and how much we bid.He felt that we bid incredibly low,based on the amount of work we were doing.I explained to him that we needed the contract so bad,that I was willing to go that low on the bid just to get it.
That is when he said a phrase that I have never,and will never,forget......
"You can't lose money if you don't get the job."At first I thought it was a rediculous comment until he explained........ If you underbid a job,you stand to lose a significant amount of money.However if you bid a normal amount and don't get the job,then you can't lose money.
I have manipulated that phrase into many aspects of my everyday life,and how that pertains to this particular situation is this........you can offer him a reasonable amount,where you know you will make a profit,but if you give in,and pay too much just because you "really want" those fingers,then you will be farther behind,than when you started.It has taken me a long tim eto understand that,a little money,is sometimes worse than,no money.I have tied us up for days on a job,just so we could get $100.And that is before expenses.I learned a long time ago that,there IS a reason why tree services bid what they do on removing trees.Don't get me wrong,there are some crooked tree services out there,just as with any occupation,but we bid a fair price I think.If we get a hurricane this year,then we will be able to put some money away fro a change.

Back