When in doubt, flatten it out!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fournines said:
I once saw a melter pull a pin sample from a gold melt, quench it in water, cut it into a few pieces, and give it to the customer for inspection. For whatever reason the customer didn't like how the sample looked and wanted another one pulled. The melter then tossed the now cold and wet samples directly back into the induction melter. He realized his mistake right away, but couldn't stop in time.

The pieces were then immediately and violently ejected from the melt, along with a sizable quantity of molten gold. Luckily he was wearing protective gear, but that still didn't stop some molten gold from burning straight through one of his boots and into his foot.

Yup, those steam explosions are nasty. Happened to me once, scared the life out out of me, since then i make sure it's will not happen again.

Mine was just as stupid. Last Year, I set a hot melting dish full of molten Inquart onto a cold tile to cool. The dish shattered and molten metal spilled onto the floor.Not as violent as some of the previous examples, but still was a dumb thing to do. Now, I use a dish full of Sand.

I learned my lesson Arc Welding many years ago. That was to not tuck my pants into my boots. A hot ball of slag burned a hole into the top of my foot. Ouch!

I once talked very badly to a friend for bringing a glass of tea with dripping condensation on it near my lead pot, with 40 pounds of molten lead in it. He got a bit hot about it and went home to make his own sinkers. Shame he didn't listen the first time. Never wear nylon around molten metal, as he did, never have liquids around them, as he did and do not wash a piece, get it cold and wet, then drop it back in the pot, as he did. He also learned the hard way why I went ballistic on him, and he will never do that again. On and he melted it on his kitchen stove as well.

Smack said:
butcher said:
Hot foot, dancing a jig?
Sorry couldn't help but laugh.

If you've ever worked as a welder you know about "The Dance" and "The Glove Toss"

I was a little wet behind the ears (16) at the time. My boss got a good laugh too, as he did when I held the work without gloves and it came ungrounded. There's a reason for gloves, besides protection from hot metal. :oops:

:lol:
I've been a welder for over 37 years and I've had my fair share of those episodes!!! :mrgreen:

The ones I hate the most are,
1) welding overhead and having a red hot one go down my sleeve and "park" at the elbow;

2) welding overhead and have one find its way down my neck, all the way down into my foot!

3) But the worst of them ALL was the time in went down my neck and "parked" in my shorts!!! OUCH!!! :shock:

Oh, Oh... there're also the ones that, while you're welding laying down sideways, finds its way into your ear! It sounds like a hornet got in your ear...
and stings like it, too!!! :lol:

no need to tell me about a cutting torch. i used to duct tape across the laces of my boots to keep the beads out, but they still got in. all you can do is shake your foot to roll it around until it cools.

i was pouring five pound ingots of aluminum from a homemade furnace and nearly scarred myself for life. the furnace was a 100# propane bottle that i had welded a heavy piece of "I" beam down the length and a old axle about mid-point for a pivot point. it was three concrete blocks high using the top blocks to pass the axle through. it worked well for melting but as the aluminum would puddle near the nose, it would become unbalanced. i added a couple of electric motors on the handle on the back as counter weight. i had inserted a 7HP briggs into the tank and it was about half melted when i decided to pour. as i tilted the tank forward, the melted aluminum began filling the pan i used for a mold. well, the briggs rolled forward to the nose so fast that i couldnt react in time. the tank slammed forward hitting the pan on the edge flipping the pan and flinging melted aluminum on me from head to toe. what i didnt mention was that i was wearing a face guard and welders hat (quilted skullcap without a bill) and a heavy apron. there was a space between the bottom of the shield and the top of the apron and the metal hit directly onto my cotton T shirt. i must have looked like i was break dancing. the only burn i received was a small spot on my chest about the size of a quarter. needless to say that i was done for the day and didnt start it back up until i jury rigged a better counter weight.

Back