Where should I start?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckp

I have a piece of gold that I melted from some gold fillings that my dad gave me. The size is oval approx 1/2" long and 1/4" wide by 1/8" deep. It needs to be refined because what I have is definitely not pure. There is a dull luster to it.

Where should I start? I have a torch that I melt metals with. Thats how I melted the fillings.

Thanks

buckp said:
I have a piece of gold that I melted from some gold fillings that my dad gave me. The size is oval approx 1/2" long and 1/4" wide by 1/8" deep. It needs to be refined because what I have is definitely not pure. There is a dull luster to it.

Where should I start? I have a torch that I melt metals with. Thats how I melted the fillings.

Thanks

Did you know the weight before and after you melted them together? If they are truly fillings, you may have created a problem in that they may be amalgam fillings which means that more than 50% by weight may have been mercury (Hg)... If they were not fillings but crowns and other pieces from bridges, etc. then there is little chance (but some chance) that mercury may be a component of your alloy.

Did you mean gold filings (like from using a file) or fillings (like to fill a tooth)? I don't think I've heard of gold being used to fill a tooth although it's possible. If filings, what is their source? From filing jewelry? Or what? How much does it weigh. If pure, by the dimensions and the fact it's an oval, it could weigh about 3.5 grams.

Latest posts

Back