Where to buy Nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious where I should source my first purchase of nitric acid? I am in North Carolina and planning to buy 10L. How much should I expect to pay? Thanks everyone
I get mine right of the ol’ Walmart app, its 32oz. Fairly cheap and does the job. Cost me $33 and change. I think there’s another option or two as well.
Or another is Lab Alley is another I’ve bought from They’ve got quality products. Multiple different quantities/concentration.

Last edited:
I stopped refining around10 years ago.
Started again a couple months ago.
My left over nitric from way back.
Nitric stored in plastic bottle in plastic bag in box sitting in garage was weak but worked.
Nitric stored in glass bottle in holder in box under garage counter was maybe a little weak but worked real well.
SMB stored for 10 years plus works perfect.
Karo syrup stored no good.
Hydroxide stored no good.

How long can you expect to keep and store it?
I once had a liter of Nitric in a deep amber bottle that was at least 30 years old. It came from buying out the estate of an old timer's electronics and other goodies. He had been dead for 30 years and the family was just then selling his stuff. Believe it or not, that bottle of acid led me to gold recovery, which in my business only makes sense. My research into what it was used for led me to Sreetips & others on youtube. That was 8 years ago now at least. That bottle of acid worked just fine (maybe it was weak but I wouldn't have known back then) and I think back to my first experience with refining with it. I was lucky I didn't hurt myself. I don't count on luck to do anything when it comes to this hobby anymore. In fact, I have been experimenting on a small scale since then and gearing up toward processing a hoard of ewaste.
Duda Diesel sends cases of four 2.5L glass bottles in a Styrofoam container that will keep the 4 containers dark and insulated. I can't say enough good things about them.

Back