where to get chemicals to start cpu gold extraction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allisonisadog

Now I'm just starting this whole venture in cpu gold. I want to do this as simply as possible. I need to know where I can find hydrocholic acid and nitrate to make aqua regia.
Id like some advice on how and when to mix these together. Also what is precipitant and where to find it. I am a woman and do well with plain english.
I really need some simple advice .

Greetings allisonisadog...
You ask what everyone new asks...
Quick, cheap, and easy... o and aqua regia...

Take a deep somewhat dissapointing but hopefully eager to learn breath...

Nothing is ever easy so please forget all the youtube videos on how easy this is.
Go to the board index and read the introduction and guided tour posts.
There you will find the answers you seek and hopefully want to hear...
I hope you're adventure here is enjoyable and a great learning experience.

B.S.
... Before diving head first into the pool, it is best to find out how deep it really is...

kkmonte said:
allisonisadog said:
I am a woman and do well with plain english.

Had to chuckle at this part...

Agreed! On the other hand, Allison, my signature line has a book, written by a woman in plain English. She is referred to often on this forum, and by often, I mean all of the time. You can learn everything from her. Nice and simple.

allisonisadog said:
Now I'm just starting this whole venture in cpu gold. I want to do this as simply as possible. I need to know where I can find hydrocholic acid and nitrate to make aqua regia.
Id like some advice on how and when to mix these together. Also what is precipitant and where to find it. I am a woman and do well with plain english.
I really need some simple advice .

hi Allison and Dog , in my signature is a link to a free book , read that first. Take the guided tour and read about safety as I am afraid that if you "just " mix some chemicals it will soon be Allison without dog.

what a precipitant is can be found in the book.

scm

There are many places to buy chemicals. Check out eBay. I have chemicals which I've bought that are several years old and have never been used. Just stored in tightly sealed containers for the time when I feel comfortable using them. Once I started reading this forum and Hoke, I realized I wasn't really ready to dive right in. Start out with something easy and relatively foolproof and work your way up into the more involved procedures.

There are two major steps involved with what we do on the forum. Recovery and refining. You really didn't say whether you are trying to recover precious metals or refine precious metals. There is a huge difference.

Everyone here will pretty much tell you the same thing about reading Hoke. Once you've finished, read it again. Use the search function on the forum. It is your friend. Don't take shortcuts with safety or safety equipment. Your life and health are on the line if you make a mistake. So are the lives of anyone around you, be it relatives, friends, neighbors, children, and yes, pets. In the immortal words of Spock, "Live long and prosper.". To live long, you MUST be SAFE. One other thing, by forum members not telling you everything, they're not being jerks. They EXPECT (and rightfully so) that if you are interested enough to want to attempt what is done by forum members, you MUST be interested enough to put your best foot forward and LEARN the procedures. In the several years since I joined the forum, we are still using the same chemicals and procedures. If you decide to experiment, just remember some of the same chemicals used in processing precious metals (PM) are the very same chemicals used to make explosives. Lye can blind you in an instant. A fewof the common abbreviations we use are base metals (BM), sodium metabisulfite (SMB) WHICH IS NOT THE SAME AS sodium metabisulfAte, aqua regia (AR) also known as royal water by the ancients, and acid/peroxide (AP) to name just a few. Some of the more common chemicals are sulphuric acid (H2SO4), nitric acid (HNO3), hydrochloric acid (HCl), lye/caustic soda (NaOH), gold (AU), silver (AG) and a whole host of others. If you see an acronym you don't understand, ASK. While we will not spoon feed you information, the information you seek is all here, and the best part is, IT'S FREE. We DO NOT like texting lingo on the forum. It leads to mistakes and is not well tolerated. Welcome to the forum. Where are you located and what kind of dog is Allison?

Hi Allison, two questions. How much material do you need to process? What is your location? The volume of material you intend to process will determine your recovery pathway and your purchasing strategies. If your total PM recovery is smaller than 16toz a month you will be forced to buy your reagents at a higher cost. Your cost/toz will be higher than if you are doing this amount a week or a day, because you now have bulk purchasing leverage with your potential suppliers. Your location will determine the availability of the reagents you can get locally.This can make a tremendous difference to your bottom line. I live in the USA and most of the chemicals I needed for my small scale jewelery scrap recovery I could get from a local hardware store at very cheap prices. Kiwi Bruce.

Kiwi Bruce said:
Hi Allison, two questions. How much material do you need to process? What is your location? The volume of material you intend to process will determine your recovery pathway and your purchasing strategies. If your total PM recovery is smaller than 16toz a month you will be forced to buy your reagents at a higher cost. Your cost/toz will be higher than if you are doing this amount a week or a day, because you now have bulk purchasing leverage with your potential suppliers. Your location will determine the availability of the reagents you can get locally.This can make a tremendous difference to your bottom line. I live in the USA and most of the chemicals I needed for my small scale jewelery scrap recovery I could get from a local hardware store at very cheap prices. Kiwi Bruce.

Hi Kiwi Bruce welcome to the forum
at this point Allison does not need any advice on where to get chemicals , she posted 1 question a week ago, and very likely did not like what we did answer about safety and about reading Hokes book first, she is a fly by poster, Typical for them is that they think they can get rich fast , post a question , dont like the answer and they do not come back , they think youtube is better then this and will kill the dog in the process. this is of course a pity for the dog. but maybe the dog is better of this way.

when you answer a question, please look at when it was posted ( if the poster ever did came back to read the answer, then use search and see if the poster could find the answer at the forum with the help of the search function ) This way we do not get useless topics on top the rest of the week.

scm

I think one of the first questions members should have asked Allison and her dog was "What kind of material do you want to process?". So many different processes for so many different types of "scrap". And, I use the term scrap loosely. Really don't consider any gold as scrap.

I am still surprised when I show the keypad portion of a cellphone to someone and they immediately think of how rich they can get by processing them. Then I remind them that it is impossible to get $50 worth of gold out of a $19 cell phone. Not to mention the hours of work involved and the costs of chemicals and equipment.

My wife has told some of her friends that I'm not too smart, but at least I'm trainable. Talk about a vote of confidence...

Thanks for the welcome squarecoinman, Happy to be here. Plus a big thank you for the advise, good call! Kiwi Bruce

Latest posts

Back