white sludge in bottom of beaker what is it?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

i am getting the gold from computer parts first cutting off the gold plated pins from the sound cards etc as well as cpu's i have placed them in a beaker with 70% strength nitric . over night most of the gold has seperated from the boards and a white / grey sludge has formed on the bottom of the beaker. is this lead or un dissolver silver and how do i sepperate it from the gold?

Silver easily dissolves in nitric acid. I believe lead will dissolve without forming a precipitate.

Tin, however, forms a white precipitate in nitric acid.

You might filter everything, rinse with water, and treat with hydrochloric acid.

The gold will not dissolve, but any precipitated tin will dissolve.

Probable tin, I've seen it in most pins from computers.

From Wikipedia
Further increasing the phosphorus content leads to formation of a very hard compound Cu3P (copper phosphide), resulting in a brittle form of phosphor bronze, which has a narrow range of applications.

Around 2001, the Olin Corporation developed another phosphor bronze alloy[9] comprising:

* Zinc – 9.9%
* Tin – 2.2%
* Iron – 1.9%
* Phosphorus – 0.03%
* Copper – 85.97%

Olin developed this new alloy for use in electrical and electronic connectors. When assessed in strictly metallurgical terms it is not true phosphor bronze, but a form of iron-modified tin brass.

g_axelsson, cannot argue with the facts posted above but if you have made a zinc dissolving in nitric you have seen the silly compound of nitrate.

Latest posts

Back