Why do we need to turn the foils into liquid and....

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbenjamin06

This is in regards to AP fingers:

After we remove the gold from the fingers why do we have to turn it into liquid? After it is turned into liquid what do we do with it after? I could use some help please I don't want to buy anymore chemicals until I learn 'why' I have to do this.

Thank you,

Jonathan Benjamin

No matter how long they will be in AP there still will be some undissolved base metals present. It is being done to achieve high purity.

It is like with everything. In order to make money one must invest some money first. They do not grown on trees. 8)

patnor1011 said:
It is like with everything. In order to make money one must invest some money first. They do not grown on trees. 8)

Thank you for your reply. After I turn it into liquid, how do I turn it into a gold bar? I don't see how it can be turned back into a solid

Gold plating on electronics is rarely 24k, specially with newer electronics. It's usually more often than not, 22k...

In 22k gold there also might be silver or other PGMs associated with the 22k gold foils. If you just melt the foils, and then sell your gold bar at 22k, you get paid less on the gold, and you are totally missing being paid out on any other precious metals that might be in the other 2k of the 22k.

I don't know why, but lately it seems like I have seen a rash of new people on the forum who just want to get the foil, and melt into a bar for instant money. If that is the case, if there are a lot of these people around, try to sell to someone here on the board in your area, at least allow them the opportunity to benefit instead of some gold buyer. It can accumulate into a lot of money over a relatively short period of time.

If you are going to throw money away, donate to the forum.

Scott

SBrown said:
Gold plating on electronics is rarely 24k, specially with newer electronics. It's usually more often than not, 22k...

In 22k gold there also might be silver or other PGMs associated with the 22k gold foils. If you just melt the foils, and then sell your gold bar at 22k, you get paid less on the gold, and you are totally missing being paid out on any other precious metals that might be in the other 2k of the 22k.

I don't know why, but lately it seems like I have seen a rash of new people on the forum who just want to get the foil, and melt into a bar for instant money. If that is the case, if there are a lot of these people around, try to sell to someone here on the board in your area, at least allow them the opportunity to benefit instead of some gold buyer. It can accumulate into a lot of money over a relatively short period of time.

If you are going to throw money away, donate to the forum.

Scott

Thanks for responding, I think I'm giving off an impression here that I am trying to cut corners or find some easy alternative method. Truth be told I'm just trying to learn. I don't want to buy the chemicals because I am a poor college student and I've already wasted money on Milk of mangesia trying to get rid of my Acid properly. So I don't understand why we make the foils liquid but I don't want to waste anymore money either get it? What video should I buy so that I can learn how to turn it from liquid to a solid

You might want to start with a book by the title of "Refining Precious Metal Wastes" by C.M. Hoke. If you search on the forum you should be able to find a e-copy for free in .pdf format. This will give you a really good understanding one how and why we do what we do. It will also enable you to learn and use the same terminology we do here on the forum, so you can more effectively communicate.

A lot of us here started out on a very limited budget, this is probably also the reason you see so many people talking about building their own equipment, it seems to be a favorite subject here.

After you read your book, then you might want to read threads on this forum pertaining to the type of process you want to do, keep in mind different types of scrap require different methods of recovering the precious metals. No two types of material are exactly the same, so although you can focus on one type of material to process, there are probably several ways to process even that type of material.

You might want to learn processes that use Hydrochloric acids with other oxidants other than Nitric Acid, such as HCl/Cl (Hydrochloric/Bleach) this is an inexpensive process compared to others. Or you can spend the initial money for an electrolytic cell with the benefit of re-using the electrolyte and only having to make small additions of acids, etc.

But first, C.M. Hoke, then read posts on this forum which by the way is probably the single most informative and important resource for this type of information on the entire web, not to mention the professionals that are here who are willing to help answer questions without any expectation of compensation.

Scott

jbenjamin06,

As a college student you should understand how important studying is, you would not want a man who said he wanted to operate on your heart to try it before he was educated by studying to be a doctor, and even then you would want him to get some practice and experience, before he cut your chest open and pulled your heart out with his hand, you too will need some study and practical experiments and practice to be able to refine gold.

Study first before operating.

It really depends. I have not reclaimed or refined any gold yet but, I do have a nice little Pd button. My only knowledge right now is what I have read on the forum for the last year. The best way to learn is to teach someone else. The best way someone can help you is to describe what process you used and what material it came from. What other base metals did you have when you started? Did you test with stannus chloride? What color is your solution? were all the base metals digested? It's hard to say what to do if you were not there. I would comment on what exactly happened. If it's mostly gold in solution you would have to precipitate out of solution with a metal lower on the reactivity scale. Most people use a copper bar (from what I understand) you can also use smb. Don't do anything I say I'm just trying to help you understand some of the chemistry. I would wait till another forum member corrects me or agrees with me. You don't make the gold into a liquid, you make the gold go into solution. When this happens it's easier to refine it to a higher purity.

well a doctor can talk another doctor through a heart surgery procedure, But it would be very hard for a doctor to talk me through a surgery like that, because I have not studied it, but if I spent time studying then I could operate on you as long as the phone line did not go busy.

Anybody want to volunteer and let me try out my theory? :twisted:

Latest posts

Back