Will Hydrazine affect stannous chloride test?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ardibash

Hello guys, do you know if Hydrazine will affect stannous chloride test?

What happened was, I dropped the gold with Hydrazine, then tested with stannous to see if any gold is left, the result was negative. After I recovered the gold, just io case I added some Iron sulfate, few hours late there was more gold precipitated out. Could the Hydrazine have affected stannous test, it it was just the gold suspend in the solution (solution was clear)

Thank you!

Ardibash said:
Hello guys, do you know if Hydrazine will affect stannous chloride test?

What happened was, I dropped the gold with Hydrazine, then tested with stannous to see if any gold is left, the result was negative. After I recovered the gold, just io case I added some Iron sulfate, few hours late there was more gold precipitated out. Could the Hydrazine have affected stannous test, it it was just the gold suspend in the solution (solution was clear)

Thank you!
If you are working ore, I may have an answer for you. If you are working scrap, not likely. Dr. Poe

I've precipitate (Gold and PGMs) using hydrazine quite a bit and never had it interfere with the stannous chloride test results. I would bet that your gold that settled later on came down after the very fine particles coagulated and settled.

How sure are you that all of the gold was removed on the first filtration cycle before the copperas was added?

Did you get a positive stannous test just before adding the copperas?

Steve

Steve,

The stannous test was negative, and I did not filter the solution, I let it to settle. Usually with hydrazine one will get a gold that resembles instant coffee (Nescafe Gold), and it settles neatly to the bottom of beaker. I think you're right it settled after a day, I also toughed, that the very fine particles coagulated and settled. Also noticed a very interesting thing, when you agitate the liquid by shaking the fine particles coagulate a lot faster and into bigger clumps and is much easier to syphon off the liquid.

Steve have you ever got gold precipitating in cobalt blue colour when using hydrazine (I think it's due to excessive hydrazine use)?

Dr. Poe it was a scrap not ore.

Latest posts

Back