WILL PAY FOR HELP WITH SETUP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrypayton

Hi, I am new to this board. I am a gold buyer and am looking to setup a small lab where i can seperate the gold from the silver from the diamonds. I buy scrap jewelry.

I would be open to the idea of paying someone to help me setup a streamlined process for performing these steps. I would be refining about 1000-1500 grams of mixed karated jewelry at a time.

Help!

Thanks and all the best

Hoke and reading the forum is free, and many members here will give you answers to what problems you bump into.

Start by educating yourself, everything you need has been spelled out.
That is how I would start if I was in your shoes.

Thanks for the advice butcher. The problem is that I'm extremely busy unfortunately...but I have a huge need to do this. It's troublesome honestly. So I really need some very specific and focused help from someone who knows what they are doing to spell it out for me and walk me through it.

Claudie, I'm in Alabama. I'm serious about paying someone. What are your suggestions?

So I was reading and see where using HCL acid and Nitric you can make the AR which you put the gold in and it melts down. And then there's a powder (sodium something) that you put in to drop the gold. But how to do you drop the silver? And will the diamonds fall down too? Is it a hard process and how long does it take for bag of jewelry? I'm very interested in this process and would really appreciate the help - especially if it is one on one.

Thank you very much ahead of time

terrypayton said:
you can make the AR which you put the gold in and it melts down.
Nope! It doesn't melt--it dissolves. They are not the same thing.

I'm very interested in this process and would really appreciate the help - especially if it is one on one.
Do yourself a favor and read Hoke's book, along with anything else you can get your hands on that pertains to refining. I strongly advise you to not search the internet---there's way too much misinformation there to be useful. It often is in direct conflict that that which is considered acceptable in the way of refining. Read this forum, along with Hoke's book, and don't think of doing any refining until it makes sense to you. That's the best help I, or anyone, can give you. Only you can learn what is required---no one can give it to you.

If you ask for personal guidance when you know nothing, all you're going to do is alienate yourself from those that can truly help. You must gain an understanding before guidance will be useful.

Harold

terry---

I think it's kind of like asking someone, "If you have a few minutes, can you teach me to be a heart surgeon?"

Someone could show you how to remove a wart, or even stitch up a small cut, but if you then hang out a sign that says, "Doctor," you will soon be in big trouble. All manner of different problems can crop up, which you would have no idea how to handle.

While there are people who have gone to a client's site, and set up a refining lab, and taught him how to operate it, there are many possible variables involved which require studying the related chemistry enough to be able to consult reference books when necessary.

So, while setting up the equipment and chemicals would be fairly straight forward for a professional who does this sort of thing, successfully carrying on the operations of it would necessarily become a very involved task. And it could be very dangerous for someone with limited experience.

You would need to consider the handling of waste material also, as a big factor in operating your setup.

I believe it has been done before, but I don't know the time, education, and cost factors that would be required for someone starting at "zero" on all of those points.

It's not like buying a fast-food franchise, that's for sure!

I'm not trying to discourage you about this, but you absolutely need to be fully aware of all of these things.

P.S. Putting your general location into your profile would be of help.

Hi terrypayton

As far as I can understand, you are looking for professional help and ready to pay for it. As a gold buyer you want to do the refining yourself not giving away your goodies to someone else who may cheat you, especially if not only precious metals from jewellery, but also small diamonds with an inhering tendency to disappear are involved in your business.
My best advice to give to you, is contracting with a well reknown, seriously working refiner, who is able to do the tedious handwork of chemically separating gemstones from the precious metal base they are worked in. Usually a contracting refiner would also buy the refined materials, even the stones probably, on a mutually trusted and agreed base. Mutual trust in each other is the sound base for this sort of contracting. You as one of the contracting partners have to know exactly, what you are dealing with, namely exact quantity and carats of the stones and exact quantity and composition of the remaining precious metal alloys. Let make you offers from different refiners for selected typical items for treatment and don't forget to look for a second opinion through an expert analysis by a second company or a specialized analytical lab therefor.
Doing all this work yourself, analytical and preparative, obliges you forcedly to find your customers, willing to buy your refined materials, yourself, to be involved in managing hazardous wastes, in regulation issues, in legislation concerning buying and selling of gold and other precious metals and so on....and so on.... All this a well trusted refiner can do for you, and you can stay concentrated on your gold buying business. Doing it yourself makes only sense, if it is really your earnest intention to build up your own refining business on a professional commercial base, and in your situation, as I can judge it, only with a partner who has the necessary background and all these skills you presently have not.

Regards, freechemist

Back