would it be dangerous to dissolve electrolitic capacitor in

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericrm

would it be dangerous to dissolve electrolitic capacitor in sulfuric acid? :

from wiki:
There are three major types of water-based electrolytes for aluminium electrolytic capacitors: standard water-based (with 40-70% water), and those containing ethylene glycol or dipropyl ketone (both with less than 25% water). The water content helps lowering the equivalent series resistance, but can make the capacitor prone to generating gas, especially if the electrolyte formulation is faulty; this is a leading cause of capacitor plague, to which the high water content electrolytes are more susceptible. The lower voltage ratings (thinner oxide layer) and lower operating voltage (slower regeneration of oxide layer) are further aggravating factors.[8]

Solid Aluminum electrolytic capacitor with organic semiconductor electrolyte or OS-CON (which stands for OrganicSemi-CONductive) : a new generation capacitor in which the aluminum foil layers are not immersed in a liquid electrolyte solution but in a solid semiconductive material derived from isoquinoline. The single crystal N-n-butyl-isoquinoline is thermoformed to final shape enhancing its conductivity substantially, thus protecting the capacitor from excess heat surges, and finally the OS-CON cans are sealed with epoxy. These capacitors are stable in use between -55°C to 125°C. The main advantages of using this particular semiconductor are fairly low ESR, wider frequency range and greater stability in use compared to liquid electrolyte aluminum and tantalum solid polymer capacitors.[15][16] OS-CON capacitors are often found as SMD.

i want to try to dissolve whole board in sulfuric acid to avoid plastic goo like in hcl, but i dont know the risk involved... i also want to try to electroplate the resulting tin sulfate to see if it could cover the chemical fee...

While I'm certainly no expert I believe that the words "organic" and "sulfuric acid" are not something to proceed with.

IE; "with organic semiconductor electrolyte or OS-CON (which stands for OrganicSemi-CONductive)"

electolytic capacitors are also made from aluminum foils, this aluminum is very reactive to acids forming hydrogen gas (as it destroys the acid as it is taking away its hydrogen), the hydrogen gas can also be dangerous if allowed to accumulate with oxygen.

All in all dissolving capacitors in H2SO4, can be dangerous.

Aluminum is very reactive even to dilute acids, one problem with aluminum is that it oxidizes easily and many times does not dissolve well in acids (although it dissolves fast and produces hydrogen from the acid) the aluminum will often make a gelatinous gooey compound in solution where there is much aluminum involved, this goop can be a problem where you may have values you wish to recover from this gelatinous goop.

thank butcher i already knowed that but i had forgetted about it and didnt taked it in consideration (awkward :roll: ) ... for those who dont know it, aluminium is so reactive that when the oxide layer is removed let say by acid, it will react with the water in the acid to form aluminium hydroxide...

thanks butcher

this is still very anoying ,i know the right way / professionnal way is to incinerate the board , it make everything easyer after but dang. i cannot legally/or even illegaly afford to go that way ...

this is why 3rd world country get so much of our business ,we have all the obstacle and they do what they want...

That could be a blessing, our water is not as polluted.

My view is even if you do find a way to process these boards in high volume would you really make that much off of them for the time trouble and money it would take? you may be much better off just separating high grade material, up-grading the low grade materials, and make money off of separation,per-processing the material mechanically, and selling the materials, that would keep you busy making money, and as the material leaves your plant you can purchase higher grade materials to work with.

It may make more sense to just mine the material and sell it to someone else to process, concentrating on high grading your product for sell, and getting the best price you can for it.

Latest posts

Back