your thoughts?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drowningbodacius

ok so i started my first recovery yesterday for the first time and i just want to say first. thank you to Sam, Lazersteve, Geo, and Palladium for all the info and videos and tutorials!!
the ap process on the goldfingers worked great (Thanks Steve). soon i will be refining it
but here is my conundrum, this isnt apart of the ap process but just a experiment i was tryin out
so i took a pic to help, before and after. this is just plated pins and covers and just a jumble of gold plated stuff
at first the reaction bubble and produced gas as it was supposed to do
IMAG0115.jpg
now after a 24 hour soak the muriatic acid has gone from clear to a nice rich yellow color. i know im supposed to check with stannous chloride but i havent been able to get my hands on any tin at the moment
IMAG0121.jpg
it brings me to my question. i know muriatic acid will change color over time from decay but what color does it change to? and do you think this is auric acid or just the halflife of my muriatic acid. just your thoughts would be good and please I KNOW I SHOULD TEST IT FIRST

Iron chloride would be my guess at this point.

Iron II chloride (FeCl2) can be yellow in solution:
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=iron+II+chloride&rlz=1R2RNQN_enUS457&oq=iron+II+chloride&gs_l=hp.3..0l10.1531.8172.1.12578.16.13.0.0.0.0.1781.9345.3-1j6-2j3j2.8.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.JlpCGTkoouU&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9f906da1c2ca652a&biw=1024&bih=539

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferric_chloride

Drowningbodacius said:
i checked with a magnet all material is magnetic and this is just pure muriatic acid

If all your material is magnetic, then it's probably being colored by some ferrous metal. If you mean that none is, then you might have had an oxidizer present in your HCl solution, which may have dissolved gold. In any case, color is not the way you test, you test with Stannous Chloride. I understand the problem with not having access to tin to make SC. If you need powdered tin, PM me, I can send you out enough to make your solution of SC, so long as you are inside the US or Canada.

Scott

Drowningbodacius

This looks like normal base metals dissolution.
judging by the color alone, it seems the acid still packs a punch and is able to dissolve more metals.

As with every experiment, keep observing it (the reaction is not over), draw conclusions and try to come up variations to the original process.

yeah i need to add heat to it but i have no readily accessible hot plate at the moment. the reaction is still going strong and the amount of chlorine gas coming off the top has increased also it has darkened in color to a deep dirty yellow and has started to remove the gold plating but i am unable to tell if it is in the hcl or has fallen to the bottom due to the amount of small gold clipping and pins in the bottom

Drowningbodacius,

I understand that you are experimenting but you may find that AP is just about the worst way to recover gold from gold plated material for many reasons. This is excluding gold fingers. For gold plated material most use a sulfuric cell.

so today i was looking at my plated meterials that have been soaking in hcl for two day now. it was a dark yellow and the Au has been slowly flaking of of the metal. so as a extra addition to my expirement i poured in some 3% H2O2 about four or five drops too see what would happen and as soon as the H2O2 hit the Hcl it became a very dark reddish brown and started fizzing again. now im seeing alot more flaking of the Au (what i can see through the dark liquid anyway) any thoughts on what this reddish brown color might be from? and is a quick punch list of what metals AP will dissolve cause i havent been able to find any cause when i search Ap Punchlist nothing comes up on the forum

Drowningbodacius

I can't swear to it but it sound like palladium go to lazersteaves websit and check out the palladium video he has thats what it reminds me of. His video he is using the AP process to recover palladium from Monolithic Ceramic Capacitors. Go see if its similiar to that that your seeing?

my feed stock shouldnt contain palladium i wouldnt think as they were mainly from a/v cords and connector pins from plug ports on motherboards i.e usb ports, video card ports and the like.

If you have that much base metals still in the bowl then you won't have any precious metals in solution. They would have cemented out onto the base metals that are left undissolved. Everything else will go into solution that can before the precious metals will. The reactivity series!

yeah thats what i thought. it was just a expirement i will eventually dissolve all the base metals as much as i can then test with Stannous chloride to not lose any au during the filtering process. im saving every and all liquids until i can test with stannous chloride

Latest posts

Back