Yttrium extraction from old TV screens

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

So:
It is a fact, that they used Y compounds for the red color in the old TV-s. The question is: how can I extract it.

The main compound is: Y3Fe5O12. This emit red light. If this would be just in the screens, than there would be no problem, but there are also: Zn, Ca, Cu, Ag, Cd, Mg, Mn, Al, As and some else elements.

For the Y extraction maybe the best thing would be to is to use "alizarin red S" this forms a complex with the Y and it can be easily filtered. The only problem is, that this chemical also forms insoluble salt with Ca (and some other elements), so no pure product.

The other method would be to make the insoluble oxalate salt, but the oxalic acid forms insoluble salt with Fe, Ca and some other things also....

An other idea was the YCl3 is soluble in pyridine. The problem is, that we think, that almost all chlorides are soluble in pyridine.

An other idea was: get out the Fe2O3 with a magnet and make oxalate. Heat the oxalate and get out the Y with aliazarin red S. But the problem here is again the calcium.

Have anyone got an idea for this problem?

We can get old cathode ray tubes almost free, chemicals are relative cheap, the only problem is the extraction method.

And at us, in Hungary, the chem supply shop doesent sell yttrium. If I want to buy, I have to order from Germany....

Latest posts

Back