Zinc drillings

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markqf1

Steve's zinc samples he sent me worked great, in fact, it seemed to go a little farther than the powders I've used.
My only problem is that, I'm out of it and need more.

Steve,
I'm sure that I'm not the only member that is ready to purchase some.
I checked your website and didn't see any listed.
Let us know when it's available, as it is an excellent product.
I'm ready for more!

Mark

Mark,

PM me and I'll get you some more by the end of the week.

I recently drilled out some more and hope to have larger quantities available soon to post on my site.

Steve

markqf1 said:
Steve's zinc samples he sent me worked great, in fact, it seemed to go a little farther than the powders I've used.
My only problem is that, I'm out of it and need more.

Steve,
I'm sure that I'm not the only member that is ready to purchase some.
I checked your website and didn't see any listed.
Let us know when it's available, as it is an excellent product.
I'm ready for more!

Mark

Pardon my ignorance as I'm new and still learning but couldn't you just use modern pennies? After 1982 the penny contains 100% zinc with the exception of the super thin outside layer of the penny being a copper alloy. I remember a solution that could be made to extract the zinc from the copper shelling and then dropped the zinc back to powder form. Seems like a lot of work but I'd imagine on a large scale, it may be a cheaper source of zinc.

Update:

I now have zinc available on my site.

Please check the pricing page.

Steve

abelleba said:
Pardon my ignorance as I'm new and still learning but couldn't you just use modern pennies? After 1982 the penny contains 100% zinc with the exception of the super thin outside layer of the penny being a copper alloy. I remember a solution that could be made to extract the zinc from the copper shelling and then dropped the zinc back to powder form. Seems like a lot of work but I'd imagine on a large scale, it may be a cheaper source of zinc.

its illeagle now.big fines. mike.

I was to the understanding that it has been illegal for quite a while.
Separating the zinc from the copper just increases the workload.

I haven't had any problems with the zinc I've obtained from Steve and, it's reasonably priced.

Mark

Check with your local boat yards for the zinc anodes from boats. I just stopped by my local yard and he gave me 8 used ones. Two fairly corroded, three were OK, but the other three were at least 75% still intact. One is at least 6 or 7 pounds of good zinc. It takes a little bit of work with a wire brush to clean the corrosion off, but the "free" price can not be beaten.

dave

Another source is wheel weights for cars.

They used to be lead (and they have other uses) but now quite a few of them are die-cast zinc.

The zinc weights are properly marked "Zn"
5.jpg

Picture from:
http://www.v2conference.com/wheel-weight/Wheel_Weight.html

Back