Average percentage of iridium in iron ore...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, if I had a dime for every time someone had iridium or rhodium in their rocks, I'd have at least a couple bucks in change. All I have now is a deep respect for armchair experts in geology and x-ray fluorescence spectroscopy.

Ok, I'm off to refine some iridium...and get more coffee.
Enjoy

I´ll broke it up a little bit.

Assuming you have 3% of Ir in your rocks. That is great. Now you need to sell it to the refinery. Otherwise you cannot liquidate it for money. They will demant analysis, or propose their own analysis for quite a fee :) without proper fire assay, there will be no purchase anyway.

So if your belief is so hard that you were destined to have iridium, and it is a gift as you say... Do an assay of it. Go ahead. If there is iridium in any form, assay would reveal it. Or you are afraid that they will intentionally tell you that there is no Ir in the sample ? They want to make profit, there is no point for them in doing that. You cannot assay for Ir at home, you cannot melt it, you cannot analyze it. Even in induction furnance, it would be very tough...

That is the way you must undergo (if you are happy or not about it), if you want to proceed somewhere in this situation. Believing is good for you, refineries work on evidence. If you want to cross that border, you will need to go the traditional way :)

By the way, the jeweller you mentioned in the beginning of this mile long thread probably never seen iridium in his whole life :) Practically speaking, if I place Fe, Ni, Co and whole 6 PGMs as foils in front of you, your chance of picking up Ir would be 1/9 :)
Thanks for the negative scepticism buddy

It is very rare to find practically any PGMs in ordinary iron ores. Most of the PGMs are found in Ni-Co deposits, where they occupy places in the crystal lattice of sulfides.

Geology isn´t favourable in way of deposition of PGMs into the iron ores. And that said, look for the minerals which are associated with PGM metals. Very rarely they are something other than sulfides, tellurides or arsenides, or associated with bismuth, selenium etc. Also, formation of these deposits is vastly different in comparison with typical iron ore deposits. In terms of they physical formation, precipitation from hydrotherms, zonation etc... Very complicated stuff. All in all, I do not know about any deposit of PGMs, apart from placer mining, that isn´t associated with sulfides.

We believe in science, scientific analysis and actual results. So I regularly work in my job as researcher according to the actual facts. New ideas are very welcome, you can get on them, proceed further and IF YOU GAIN EVIDENCE that it actually is something, then you proceed further. Rather than wasting your career on something that actually isn´t real.
Don't concern yourself with my career I'll be just fine when I sell my first ounce of iridium that I process myself without your help I believe you just having a hard time wrapping your brain around the fact that I found something that's extremely rare and difficult to find doesn't change the fact that that's what I found how's that for one long sentence?

Don't hate on me because I found what you could search your whole life for and never find. I've been blessed get over it...
Ok mate you asked for it.
We have tried to help.
I have no hate, I’m just tired of your BS.
So now I will grant you your wish.

Geez, that was fast.

It takes a lot to exceed Nordic levels of patience exhibited by the kind Yggdrasil.

Geez, that was fast.

It takes a lot to exceed Nordic levels of patience exhibited by the kind Yggdrasil.
I became tired of the bickering and constant scolding of our members.
I can take a beating but I don’t like witnessing beating of others.

Well, I agree with the ban.

He was living in la la iridium land.
He was just back from a forced “break” but had learned nothing.
Straight into the same MO, so I guess it’s the best for both parties.

I still get a bit puzzled why people do like this. It’s almost like it is compulsive.

Well he is out for now though.

Lets get back to what we love to do, refining😀

1. You're basing your assumptions on findings you're familiar with from wherever you are in the world. 2. What I'm working with here where I am isn't your garden variety content of iridium in the ore. So for you to come to your bias, one-sided and not to mention jealously loaded conclusions, a body has to wonder what's driving your negative aspect on anything I'm doing and what if any good is your alleged professional opinion?

Don't concern yourself with my career I'll be just fine when I sell my first ounce of iridium that I process myself without your help I believe you just having a hard time wrapping your brain around the fact that I found something that's extremely rare and difficult to find doesn't change the fact that that's what I found how's that for one long sentence?
We will wait for the picture. I have all the time in the world :)

Ok folks. He is not here anymore, and as such can not defend himself.
So please refrain from commenting him.
Edit to add.
The topic and thread is open for comment, of course, but not his person.

Last edited:
Back