cell phone boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
refiner helping one another i thought but it looks like it is a place for people to sale there books all the links you have gave me are just to make money. is that what you are about. it ant what i am about.

kevinlb63 said:
refiner helping one another i thought but it looks like it is a place for people to sale there books all the links you have gave me are just to make money. is that what you are about. it ant what i am about.

The forum is here with all the info, if you can't be bothered with reading a book, I guess you can't be bothered with searching for an answer to your questions. I gave you the best advice possible, that is to study the forum. If you just get an answer to your question, you will be back shortly with another question. If you use the search box for answers, you more than likely find the answers to your next question.

I give up, you do what you want to. You know, just get the gold.

Jim

I would almost swear that the system he's referring to for processing, cleaning, and scrubbing came from ebay. :mrgreen:

kevinlb63 said:

I've been a member of this forum for a little bit now, and I've never spent one cent for information! I only refine as a hobby, but I am successfull at it, and its all thanks to the free reading that I have done here along with guidance from some of the members. But if your not willing to do that all important "reading" step, then you will surely fail. But sometimes we need to fail to learn, I suppose.

Some people stumble into a goldmine, spouting stuff out their mouth, and just tromp all over the gold mine yelling how they are looking for gold, too busy running at the mouth and looking for gold, they cannot see what value they are walking all over, these poor people may never find what they are looking for, if they would just slow down at the mouth and open their eyes, they may see the values they are passing by.

Of coarse this is just my two thoughts on this, too much mouth and not enough reading.

Two pennies, put them in that piggy bank.

just to add my 2 cents, these numbers are from a research on 1999-2003 cell phones and the percentages account for the full weight of the phone including battery. I've seen phones go for over $1 each on ebay, not sure if they are worth that much. Boards at a $1 a piece maybe, as they are only about 15% of the total phone weight. Interesting research artice http://www.bren.ucsb.edu/research/documents/cellphonethesis.pdf

Material % of total
Al 2.914
Cu 14.235
Fe 8.039
Glass 10.594
Plastic 59.600
Ag 0.244
As 0.001
Au 0.038
Be 0.003
Br 0.941
Cd 0.000
Cl 0.006
Cr 0.345
Ni 1.124
Pb 0.301
Pd 0.015
Sb 0.084
Sn 0.689
Zn 0.641
Liquid
crystals 0.150
Bi 0.031
Pt/Ta 0.004

rpg said:
just to add my 2 cents, these numbers are from a research on 1999-2003 cell phones and the percentages account for the full weight of the phone including battery. I've seen phones go for over $1 each on ebay, not sure if they are worth that much. Boards at a $1 a piece maybe, as they are only about 15% of the total phone weight. Interesting research artice http://www.bren.ucsb.edu/research/documents/cellphonethesis.pdf

Material % of total
Al 2.914
Cu 14.235
Fe 8.039
Glass 10.594
Plastic 59.600
Ag 0.244
As 0.001
Au 0.038
Be 0.003
Br 0.941
Cd 0.000
Cl 0.006
Cr 0.345
Ni 1.124
Pb 0.301
Pd 0.015
Sb 0.084
Sn 0.689
Zn 0.641
Liquid
crystals 0.150
Bi 0.031
Pt/Ta 0.004

A nice read!

As I'm looking to work cell phones in Ecuador now, this info comes at a great time.

Here's what I pulled from this that I found useful - perhaps others will as well.

6.5.1 states (in part)
Precious metals, specifically gold (Au), silver (Ag), and palladium (Pd) contained in cell phones have been the major economic driver for recycling industry despite the small mass contained per unit. However, since cell phones contain a mere 150grams of gold, 2,000grams of silver, and 100 grams of palladium per ton, any added-value in the material recovery of these elements can only be possible by the collection of a large number of cell phones. (Takahashi, 2004)

and also...
original cell phones were approximately 5kg and have
shrunk to their current weight of about 100grams.
(note that I believe these numbers are for 'working', i.e., with battery, phones)

With this, we can extrapolate (and ESTIMATE) that any one 'generic' cell phone, manufactured between 1999 and 2003 would have (at BEST, presuming 100% recovery methods, etc.)

907185 g (1 ton) / 100 g (1 cell phone) = 9071.85 cell phones per ton

150 g (Au per ton) / 9071.85 (phones/ton) = 0.0165 g Au per phone

At 1726.00 per Toz, that is $0.92 per cell phone Au value

Using the same calculations, we find;

2000 g (Ag per ton) / 9071.85 (phones/ton) = 0.22 g Ag per phone
At $32.34 per Toz, that is $0.23 per cell phone Ag

100 g (Pd per ton) / 9071.85 (phones/ton) = 0.011 g Pd per phone
At $610.44 per Toz, that is $0.22 per cell phone Pd

For a total 'value' of each scrapped cell phone of $1.37 at today's spot pricing (taking into account that none of the other materials is considered, for this example which is based on the provided research numbers, to have any sort of value).

DISCLAIMER: This is a number based on the research done as quoted and a simple extrapolation of such research, based on "averages of averages" and should not, in any way, be used nor quoted for any other purpose. Your results for any/all cell phones is LIKELY to be different (and most likely less)!

Based on all this, I think a reasonable 'presumption' is that most people will only go after the gold directly and silver as a result of refining, which would make it "safe" to say each cell phone could yield $0.75 (after processing fees, shipping, etc.) and any sort of buying or selling price should be based around that number.

Also noting that, in my personal experience, there is an 'average' of 11 cell phones (no batteries) per pound, it easily justifies a buyer's price of around $6 per pound - which is the basic going rate......

Sorry if I missed adding in any 'magic' - just didn't find any in the mix, this time! ;)

is it ok to depopulate the cellphone boards and use hcl and peroxide if so how much yeild to be expected of those say i did 50 boards, not processing the ics and mlcc, is there a better method i tried hcl and ar but didn work now im trying ap method i see fine powder like gold shining in the solution i used 20 % hp and hcl 3:1 is it ok by this way how long it will take for the cellphone to get stripped completely if i keep long will all the gold be dissolved

goldrecovery said:
I think you should watch this video.
https://youtu.be/RD1X1CieE4o
or
www goldenscrap com

A few questions, if I may.
Firstly, I must say, I watch all your videos, as I like to see how things get processed across the globe. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

On to the questions.
You say boards require incineration or losses may be experienced, I assume you mean because of the solder?
Why do you crush the boards in morter and pestle?
Why not do an initial HCl leach to remove solder before AR?
Or at least a nitric leach to remove base metals?
Have you considered using sulfamic acid instead of urea?
It will remove excess nitric (which there is plenty of), and convert to sulfuric acid, so it will in turn also convert the lead to lead sulfate. Which is now happening when you add smb, making the lead mix with your gold powder.

There were more questions I had, but I think thats good for now. 8)

Back