Gold Refining Forum Sponsored Contest

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice work. Can you explain the system in the second tub? When will you be trying it? Please let us know how it works. I love the idea of a refinery in a box.

I can see you marketing it now!

1) Put precious metal in beaker "A"
2) Turn on long life vent fan.
3) Add DSMITH # 2828 special precious metal dissolver solution. (sold separately)Wait 5 minutes.
4)Add DSMITH #2828a molecular recombiner powder, stir.(sold separately)
5) Collect and smelt your fully refined gold, silver and platinum bar. (Professional high temp smelting unit sold separately)
6) Wow your friends and family with your refining genius and piles of smelted gold and silver bars.

So easy a dead cow could do it! Yours for 4 easy payments of $199.99 plus shipping and handling.( Shipping and handling sold separately)

Sorry, goofy this morning, Its Friday!!!

Love the marketing pitch. And that is some serious markup, I like it.

As for the system in the second tub, it is just a small scrubber to take care of the fumes from the reaction tub. It is kind of hard to see, but on the reaction tub, there is a 2" PVC valve. This allows the adjustment of the air intake into the reaction tub thus controlling how fast the fumes will go through the scrubber. It is mostly based on posts from 4metals, but until I can find the right fan to connect to the intake above the reaction tub, it is all just theory.

So once I get the fan, I will let everyone know how it does.

glondor said:
Very nice work. Can you explain the system in the second tub? When will you be trying it? Please let us know how it works. I love the idea of a refinery in a box.

I can see you marketing it now!

1) Put precious metal in beaker "A"
2) Turn on long life vent fan.
3) Add DSMITH # 2828 special precious metal dissolver solution. (sold separately)Wait 5 minutes.
4)Add DSMITH #2828a molecular recombiner powder, stir.(sold separately)
5) Collect and smelt your fully refined gold, silver and platinum bar. (Professional high temp smelting unit sold separately)
6) Wow your friends and family with your refining genius and piles of smelted gold and silver bars.

So easy a dead cow could do it! Yours for 4 easy payments of $199.99 plus shipping and handling.( Shipping and handling sold separately)

Sorry, goofy this morning, Its Friday!!!

Wow another product with pie in the sky promises, and priced so high we can't afford to use it anyway. Who sells this snake oil, Shor or Goldco? :p

macfixer01

How do you get the beaker in the tub? How do you interact with the beaker during a reaction?

butcher said:
How does PVC, polyvinal chloride withstand these acids? I thought they may be attacked by chlorine?

The schedule 40 PVC piping will last for a while doing this kind of work. The type he is using are the thin drain pipes used under a sink and they are going to get brittle and have a possability of splitting sooner. Probably at the most inopertune time.

A good cheap fan would be an inline boat bilge blower. they are cheap, some what corrosion resistant, and fit the fitting that you have. Additionally they can also be ran by battery or old printer power adapter.

Eric

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=inline+boat+bilge+blower

added link

goldenchild said:
How do you get the beaker in the tub? How do you interact with the beaker during a reaction?
That is a bit combersome at this point. You can lift the one side of the lid on the reaction chamber to set items in and work with them. I am thinking of spliting the lid though to allow easier access.

Barren Realms 007 said:
butcher said:
How does PVC, polyvinal chloride withstand these acids? I thought they may be attacked by chlorine?

The schedule 40 PVC piping will last for a while doing this kind of work. The type he is using are the thin drain pipes used under a sink and they are going to get brittle and have a possability of splitting sooner. Probably at the most inopertune time.

Yeah this one is a mock up. Wanted something that would go together quickly and cheaply to test. Once I verify the concept and get some use out of it, I will change it over to the schedule 40 PVC with glue joints.
Although, the one thing I do like about the drain pipe is that the T above the reaction tub is for the sink drain, so it has a taper built into it already.

goldenchild said:
A possible mod?

Thanks, that would make it easier to get into the reaction tub. I think I would leave the scrubber the same though. With the current configuration, I have about 40" of marbles for the fumes to go through and get scrubbed.

etack said:
A good cheap fan would be an inline boat bilge blower. they are cheap, some what corrosion resistant, and fit the fitting that you have. Additionally they can also be ran by battery or old printer power adapter.

Eric

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=inline+boat+bilge+blower

added link
I like that idea. I will have to go down to West Marine and see what they have. It would be a big bonus for me if I can keep everthing running on DC.

dsmith2828 said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
butcher said:

Yeah this one is a mock up. Wanted something that would go together quickly and cheaply to test. Once I verify the concept and get some use out of it, I will change it over to the schedule 40 PVC with glue joints.
Although, the one thing I do like about the drain pipe is that the T above the reaction tub is for the sink drain, so it has a taper built into it already.

When you get ready to switch to SCH 40 go to a plumbing supply house or Home Depot there are some fittings that you can screw together to use.

dsmith2828 said:
goldenchild said:

Thanks, that would make it easier to get into the reaction tub. I think I would leave the scrubber the same though. With the current configuration, I have about 40" of marbles for the fumes to go through and get scrubbed.

Right. I would keep the scrubber configuration for sure. Or something similar to it. I was just throwing out the idea of having the fan come through the side to access the reaction easier. But now that I think of it. It's pretty much the same situation unless you have some kind to small hatch type opening to interact once the reaction has started. Maybe you could cut out the side of one bin and then from another cut out that same side but slightly larger so you can hinge it. So you would need 3 bins. One for spare parts. I would also use the bins lengthwise.

mod2.jpg

Hey guys, thought I'd show my set up, works for the process I use. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9346.JPG
    IMG_9346.JPG
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_9347.JPG
    IMG_9347.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_9350.JPG
    IMG_9350.JPG
    911.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_9351.JPG
    IMG_9351.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_9353.JPG
    IMG_9353.JPG
    665.1 KB · Views: 137
That compliment may not have been to me, but I accept. :lol:
I still have to make an actual scrubber 'cause this method, (saturated epsom salt, MgSO4.7H2O) while it works for sterling and better, eats the entire anode when impure 60, 40, Cu to Ag.
I will be making the concentrated sulfuric cell after I boil down some 1.26 specific gravity sulfuric.

METLMASHER said:
That compliment may not have been to me, but I accept. :lol:
I still have to make an actual scrubber 'cause this method, (saturated epsom salt, MgSO4.7H2O) while it works for sterling and better, eats the entire anode when impure 60, 40, Cu to Ag.
I will be making the concentrated sulfuric cell after I boil down some 1.26 specific gravity sulfuric.

Yes for you. Your hood inspired me to finally go out and get some materials. I'm working on the plans I last pictured. There will also be a scrubber. So far expenses are up to a whopping $20 :lol:

Edit Do you have any True Value or Ace Hardware stores in your area? You can get Rooto from True value or Liquid Fire from Ace. Rooto is the nice clear acid.

Ok, I'll come out of hiding, and post some photos of my equipment, and workspace.
It doesn't look like much, but it works well for my purposes.

Various 276.jpg

I used a Vacuum Cleaner to supply a negative pressure to my scrubber system to draw air through them, rather than forced air from an aquarium pump, which wasn't enough, and/or would pop off lids to my tanks, as well as allowed fume leaks. Negative pressure got rid of all those issues.
Various 278.jpg

Test tubes, microscope, pencil torch, torch head, syringe, flask, pipet, tweezers, spray bottle, etc.
Various 279.jpg

Scrubbers, and parting dish.
Various 280.jpg

Rock tumbler used for amalgamation assays, funnel, pipet, syringe, hook rod for syringe filter, measuring cup, containers for nitric acid containing mercury, crock pot for evaporating solutions, a couple of large glass bowls, one is used as my tank for stripping gold plated items with sulfuric acid.
Various 282.jpg

Coffee cup warmer and beaker with what was some auric chloride, within an ice cream tub that I precipitated the gold from.
Twin beaker, scoops, and an old glass coffee carafe with filter basket that I use to filter solutions, on a 5/8" thick plexiglass slab.
Various 277.jpg

Funnels, scoops, condenser, aquarium air valve, and graphite electrodes.
Various 281.jpg

A/P tank with scrubber. Bottle of copper chloride from an earlier pass, which will be reused.
Various 283.jpg

Sulfuric, acid/Clorox, and dilute nitric, all used, and to be further processed.
Various 284.jpg

Gloves, (Very important), rinse container for boards, and my bottle of used A/P solution.
Various 285.jpg

Back