Gold Refining Forum Sponsored Contest

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Churning apparatus given to me by a client.
Various 287.jpg

Battery charger, blue-bowl setup, and cementing buckets. I use the blue bowl for black sands, as well as amalgamation assays. It's far easier to blow out sand so that I can recover the amalgam than it is to pan it out.
Various 288.jpg

A better view.
Various 289.jpg

Cementing. Bottom right still contains copper, top right is cemented copper, with a rubber hose for stirring.
Top left is precipitated iron sludge, bottom left is water with some iron, yet to be treated with sodium Hydroxide, (Lye) to drop as much more metal as possible, then to be discarded.
Various 290.jpg

Another view, with a glass plate out of a microwave to cover the active cementing bucket.
Various 291.jpg

Well, here it is, my rock mill. It works well for crushing rock, and CPU's.
Various 292.jpg

Another view.
Various 293.jpg

Another view of my filter set-up.
Various 294.jpg

Secondary A/P system made out of a porch light globe resting on a hot air popper that I use to heat up various solutions.
Various 295.jpg

Various 296.jpg

Filters.
Various 297.jpg

Assay and testing supplies, Binoculars, UV lamp, comparator, gps, etc. Never mind the cat, lol.
Various 305.jpg

My scale. accurate to 1/100 of a gram, I wish it would measure 1/1000 of a gram though.
Various 301.jpg

Assay and incineration equipment. Crucibles, cupels, and scorification dishes are used, and only for visual effect.
Various 302.jpg

Another View.
Various 303.jpg

Gold precipitated with Potassium Metabisulfite, yes, the potassium version.
This was from some glassware that I stripped with the Acid/Clorox method.
Various 274.jpg

Same as above.
Various 275.jpg

Sediment that I filtered from my A/P tank after I had let it set idle for a week.
Various 286.jpg

Foils from a small batch of gold plated scrap that I ran in my A/P tank.
Filter Foils 003.jpg

Precipitate that I recovered from de-plating items in my Sulfuric Stripping cell.
Stripping Cell Precipitate.jpg

Samples of scrap that I have ran, and some of the beads that I have recovered.
Gold Assay Beads and Scrap Samples.JPG

Well, there you have it.
I don't know for sure how much I have invested in all of this.
Not cheap though, that's for sure. It all adds up quick.

Hopefully my photos will help give others some ideas on how to go about putting together their lab,
though my lab is used for assays, as well as refining.

Sincerely, Rick. "The Rock Man".

My fume hood so far. Constructed out of a Rubbermaid HDPE (#2) tote. Waiting for my blower to come in and then the real fun starts :mrgreen:

DSC01200.JPG

Nice Idea. I like the simple easy methods of doing things that are revealing themselves in this thread. Looking forward to see the finished product in action.

P8150022.jpgP8150026.jpgP8150024.jpgP8150023.jpgP8150028.jpgI really needed a small mill to grind samples and I could not afford one so I built one with parts from harbor freight. The motor was on sale for around $170.00 and you can get a box of carbide tipped cutters for $20.00. I had the steel in my scrap pile. I am going to add one more set of cutters offset to the other's. It grinds my samples without adding lot's of iron so I can get a good sample to test. I mill quarts all the time and the cutters are holding up great. You could mill electronics scrap with this and turn it into powder in no time. It took me about 2 days to build.

P8150029.jpg Got the gold wheel for free, I had to epoxy the base.
P8150030.jpg The base it made from salvaged beam brackets and the motor is off an old conveyor.
P8150031.jpg I made the adapter on my lathe and milling machine.
P8150032.jpg Here is my hood area. I got a water tank out of a motor home. A small water heater at a garage sale for $10.00. I got a 110v water pump with a pressure switch for $20 dollars. I wanted to have water for emergencies and to wash my hands and beakers . The hood is from lows and I used a 6 inch duct for maximum air flow.
P8150039.jpg This is my panning tub and my 20-40 power stereo microscope with a halogen lamp for visual assays to see if its worth a fire assay.

P8190021.JPGP8190023.JPG
This is my concentrating table. It work's great for placer and hard rock concentrating. Global mining told me they ran testing on ground circuit boards, and then the company bought 10 tables. I am going to try it and I will post my results.
P8190022.JPG
P8190025.JPG
Here is some fine placer gold that I just recovered with my table.

P8190026.JPG
This is my jaw crusher- rod- ball mill combo.
P8190029.JPG
This is the feed conveyor and top of the small crusher.
P8190031.JPGP8150043.JPG
The jaw drop's the oar into a ore bin and the ball mill has a scoop to scoop the water and oar into the rod- ball mill.
P8190032.JPG
I use this as a pilot test mill.

Nice setup, a good amount of your equipment not only services your needs in the quest for gold in it's natural state but it would function well in the processing of incinerated e-scrap as well.

Has a deadline for entries been decided? I would have posted my lab already, but I'm still doing small things to get it finished.

Consider this the last bump of this thread, last chance for new entries and updates. Entries will be accepted until 11:59 on December 31st from whatever time zone you post from.

Time for all of you procrastinators to show your stuff.

4metals said:
Consider this the last bump of this thread, last chance for new entries and updates. Entries will be accepted until 11:59 on December 31st from whatever time zone you post from.

Time for all of you procrastinators to show your stuff.
At the insistence of 4metals...here's my reluctant entry: :shock: :lol:

If I win I'll post the exact procedure, supplies and other equipment needed. I think it all costs less than $100 retail (costed me $0), except for the torch/furnace that can be borrowed from the client-jeweller. :p

Attachments

• Competition.jpg
    Competition.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 85
Back