Litharge Supplier/Sales in Ontario Canada?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you missed the boat on what you are trying to process, and recover. You do not want the metallic Lead from the batteries, you want the paste which gets pressed into the metallic grid, on the + side of the battery, You can put all the + plates in a large roasting dish, where the Lead grid can melt, forming balls of metallic Lead, but you need to pick out or screen the metallic stuff out. You want the powder only. In the roasting dish, it will eventually turn Orange/Yellow. This is Lead Oxide, the stuff you want. There are a bunch of posts on the benefits of using PbO over straight Pb, when smelting or assaying. Reread Stoneware's posts, and watch how they reprocess batteries in India on Youtube. These guys use very minimal, if any PPE's. Take the precautions they are not. If you want to recover all the Lead from the battery, keep the + from the -, and melt separately. You can add the metallic from the + plates, after screening, to the - plates.

Thank you sir, I understand completely and I also see why the best advice is to read all the information available here. I will have to do that.

I can't recall the details but it seems that several years ago there were a few larger metals processors who were experimenting with using nickel and a few other metals as possible collectors, rather than lead (litharge). It may be worthwhile researching this to see where that all ended up, or whether others are now still using litharge. I used litharge a number of years ago and it does work well as a collector metal but there is still the stigma of "lead" which should not be used in closed areas without proper protection. To watch some of these videos of people breathing all the dust while trying to obtain litharge from batteries is crazy. It's like also breathing mercury, and the effects often do not hit you until later on, perhaps on an accumulative basis within the body.

Back