Refining chemicals: suppliers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Formic Acid

Kind of pulling my hair out a bit finding a good (economic) source for it. Obviously I have found it from chemical supply for no less than $60/L - I can't imagine that I have to pay that much - do I actually need ACS purity if I am using it to make the Sodium Formate reducer for Ag, Pd, etc.?

I've had much luck finding other chemical (pool supply natural textile processing, Home Depot, etc.), but I have yet to find a local source for the formic acid (so I can avoid hazmat shipping).

Anyone have an in on commercially available formic acid (or sodium formate if I have to, although I will have to come up with a good way to acidify it properly if I am not starting with the acid)? I am in Pennsylvania and there is a Brenntag near, but they won't speak to you if you are not a business...

TCI America has it for 23.00 1/2 Kilo(500g) ad they are in Philadelphia.

http://www.tcichemicals.com/eshop/en/us/commodity/S0807/

But I really don't see the point in it if you are a hobbyist.

Eric

Dudadiesel has Formic Acid for a reasonable price:

http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=formic

Thanks guys! True I am a hobbyist, but I have some Pd to reduce and I like the looks of fourmetals' method.

Yes iam a newbie!!! and can someone please tell me the chemicals i need and the best and safest process. Thanks!! :)

Irishpride,

Chemicals for what?

What are you doing or making?

HCl + NaOH --> NaCl + H2O
If you need chemicals to make sodium chloride NaCl (table salt) mix equal molars of Hydrochloric acid HCl and Sodium Hydroxide NaOH (lye or caustic soda).

Joking aside,

You are going to find the chemistry involved is not as easy as you think it is now, there are many procedures you will need to learn and understand, I could write a two page list of chemicals we use, but what good would that do you at this point, you do not know what to do with them, or how to dispose of the toxic waste you would generate with them, you would not know what reactions created deadly gases and be able to protect yourself from them.

It is not real hard but it will take a lot of work to learn.

Download Hoke's book and study it, this gives you a basic understanding.
Study the forum and choose a process learn the procedures involved in that process like mechanical separation and then base metal removal process, then the refining process, memory fingers is a great learning tool easiest and it can give you materials to practice with Hoke's experiments to get acquainted, and learn the testing procedures for metals in solution.

Read the safety thread and pay close attention to the one dealing with waste, and protecting yourself from fumes (fume hoods).

there are tons more like welcome to new members, and the general reaction list, and the guide to the forum, these are extremely helpful to help you get started.

that is just the beginning of the study's you will need, and I do not want to overwhelm you with home work at this point, but after you have studied this you will only be scratching the surface of valuable information here on the forum.

this is not a quick and easy thing you are wanting to learn, it takes time and patience, and a whole lot of work, the work is fun and rewarding and so is all of the work when one day you finally melt that small gold button of gold you refined and earn with your labor.

Members here are very helpful and will help when you run into a brick wall with your study.

Welcome to the forum I look forward to watching you become a refiner of precious metals

I can't believe the prices that you guys have to pay for nitric, and hydrochloric. I get both for about $50 per 4 1/2 gallon pail. But pickup local. What I can't find is SMB ! Can get sulphur dioxide gas but too much red tape. Anyone got a source for the SMB for me please?

Stump remover can be made from SMB sodium metabisulfite, also called sodium pyrosulfite (stump removers are also made from fairly pure KNO3 potassium nitrate) usually found in garden or farm supply department or store.

Supplies for wine or beer making, sodium or potassium metabisulfate is used to sterilize bottles.

You can always order some SMB from a website store.

If you cannot find SMB you can use copperas to precipitate gold.
Ferrous sulfate (copperas), can be made easily in your lab, it will precipitate gold, or is used to test for gold in a spot plate, I have written several posts on how I make ferrous sulfate from iron from transformer laminates and 10% H2SO4 sulfuric acid to form the bright green crystals.

wade brenckle said:
I can't believe the prices that you guys have to pay for nitric, and hydrochloric. I get both for about $50 per 4 1/2 gallon pail. But pickup local. What I can't find is SMB ! Can get sulphur dioxide gas but too much red tape. Anyone got a source for the SMB for me please?

Lol, I can sell you some SMB for about $54 and a hazmat fee!! :twisted: :twisted:

i was buying SMB from Ebay until i discovered i was buying it from Dudadiesel. :lol: they are about 5 miles from my house. i was buying from them on Ebay and waiting 4-6 days for delivery and could have driven 10 minutes and bought it at the counter.

Geo said:
i was buying SMB from Ebay until i discovered i was buying it from Dudadiesel. :lol: they are about 5 miles from my house. i was buying from them on Ebay and waiting 4-6 days for delivery and could have driven 10 minutes and bought it at the counter.

That's one of those D'oh! moments.

has anyone ordered from these guys. im really liking the distillation rig.

http://www.sciencecompany.com/

I did a search for this website here on GRF and only one instance came up. Hard to believe that no one has submitted this link in this thread. If you enter the chemical your seeking into the search function at the top of the page, a list will pop up and to the right, you'll see Global Suppliers from all over the world. I've only stumbled on this website the other day. If your at the home page, scroll all the way down. At the bottom of the Home Page, you can find chemicals by CAS Index, Chemical Name, or Company Website. An excellent website if your searching for suppliers of chemicals from all over the world. Hope this helps. 8)

http://www.chemicalbook.com/ProductIndex_EN.aspx

skyline27 said:
Does anyone have a source for gallon+ jugs of hydrogen peroxide?
I get 35% H2O2 at the local garden supply in 5 gallon jugs. it's used in hydroponics. Anywhere they sell hydroponics supplies and equipment will probably have it.

wade brenckle said:
Have you tried the local winery? They use it for making wine. Can you substitute sodium bisulphte (99.9%) or potassium meta bisulphite?

Local hardware store:
Hyrdochloric acid 35% =muriatic acid
Sulphuric acid 94.1% by weight=liquid lightning drain opener (Blue Label)
Garden centre: Copper suphate
Hydrogen peroxide (Hydroponics)
SMB or PMB is sold through your local wine making center

This site was interesting, found it the other day.
http://www.hyperdeath.co.uk/chemicals/

Be careful with it! I would not even want to have it near me. If I would have been in refining for some decades, maybe I would even dare to say: there is no place for that high concentrated H2O2 in refining!

Latest posts

Back