Time for a competition

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
g_axelsson said:
Here are my answers :
1. 3.5 hours
2. 9.8 liters of AR solution
3. 72.6 g
4. 22 liters of waste

Without any motivations. :mrgreen:

And I have a question for you, but it will not affect my answer. :wink:
How did you test for beryllium in the fuzz buttons?

Göran

Aha! OK I have an XRF and had no Be in the ones I tested. Admittedly I didn't test all 660 of them, but I tested them by type.

Follow up question... can you detect Be with your XRF? I had the impression that the window of the detector usually is made of Be because it is more or less transparent to X-rays and Be is a too light element to be easily detectable by XRF.

In debt ... in depth ... okay, English isn't my first language but I should have spotted that one. :oops: :lol:

Göran

anachronism said:
Sure does. Beryllium/Copper alloy is one of the non PM presets too.

I assume you have a XRF gun and what I think your EDX do is see ~97% copper and nothing else, then it knows the other element is Beryllium.

Beryllium is only readable in high power (4 kW x ray tube) WDX spectrometers, and "For beryllium analysis by XRF spectrometry, surface treatment is essential."

Beryllium Analysis in Beryllium Copper Alloy:
https://www.rigaku.com/en/products/xrf/primus2/app5028

OMG!! I might be wrong - damn that's so heinous. 8) 8) 8) I don't think I can survive the shame lads but I'll do my best.

Now did you want a guess in the competition Goldandsilver123?

Jon, it's not about being right or wrong or even rubbing it in your face... though, the last part is fun. :lol:

When the XRF is analyzing a copper beryllium alloy it assumes any missing x-rays is caused by the beryllium. Anything out of the normal beryllium copper alloy will probably confuse the instrument. Add to that the gold plating and I would expect the XRF to try to match the signal seen to a copper gold alloy instead.

I know you are careful and is handling the waste with respect, so I'm writing this both for your sake and anyone else that follows this thread. Don't rely on an XRF to tell you that there is no beryllium in electronic scrap. If you suspect that there is beryllium there, thread carefully and treat any solution as if it does have beryllium in it.
We are creating toxic solutions anyhow, so it shouldn't be a big problem even if we dissolve any beryllium. We dissolve lead all the time and huge amounts of copper when we hunt for the yellow metal.

Göran

Hey I'm good Goran hence the emojis.

I don't have a problem with being wrong. It means I've learned something 8)

Jon, I know you can take it or I wouldn't rub it in your face.... also using emojis :mrgreen:

I've just ordered a new passport, so when you least expect it I might drop in and give your XRF a run for it's money. :wink:

Göran

Looks like a trick competition.

Why use liters of solution when amount of metal won't require that much? Why immerse all material at once, most of it is plastic and increases volume unnecessarily?

I will collect the most important prize here anyway ;-)
in the increased knowlegde department :)

But let me just ask one question:
Was the whole lot simultaneosly immersed into solution during recovery?

Edited for spelling :shock:

Dr.xyz said:

Why use liters of solution when amount of metal won't require that much? Why immerse all material at once, most of it is plastic and increases volume unnecessarily?
How do you suggest getting the metal fuzz buttons out of the sockets?

Time is also money if you have employees, in some cases it's cheaper to use a bit more chemicals instead of labor.

Göran

Dr.xyz said:

Not trick at all Sir. If you want to spend days taking the metal out of the connectors then be my guest- I've done it before and I'm never going back there after the time it took.

Any guess to make?

Yggdrasil said:
I will collect the most importan prize here anyway ;-)

Nope they were done in batches in the same liquid. 8) 8)

Please elaborate a bit, because now I'm confused :)
anachronism wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 10:58 am
bigpagoda wrote: ↑
February 19th, 2019, 1:42 am
Did you process all 660 pieces in one batch?

Yes I did.
And then later
anachronism wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 1:08 am
Yggdrasil wrote: ↑
February 22nd, 2019, 5:28 pm
I will collect the most importan prize here anyway ;-)

Nope they were done in batches in the same liquid. 8) 8)

Which one is it?
One batch or multiple?
I'm sorry if I seem peristent here, but you opened the "bag" ;-)

That's just what I was meaning too.

So you did not use a big vessel with all material at once and a lot of solution?

Of course there's no need to remove buttons from plastic mechanically, just a splash of AR and they dissolve and/or fall off on their own pretty quickly. Then replace empty holders with full ones, smaller batches, less solution.

I said one batch. As in all 660. I didn't say all at once in one jar of liquid.

This is a language thing.

I'll have to agree on the language issue here :) Check under my posts :D
My understanding of batch is all in one.
There may be many batches in one job, so let us leave it at that, since I know how it was done now.
Thanks for the clarification Jon :)

Back