What's happening here?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the temperature of the solution in the photos?

If it is cold, try heating it up and see what happens.

Steve

lazersteve said:
What is the temperature of the solution in the photos?

If it is cold, try heating it up and see what happens.

Steve

It was cold when I started but had warmed up some. I will try heat tomorrow if I can drag my body out of the bed. Bug put me down today. Damn allergies,summer colds.

Thanks Steve

Heat didn't clear it up, I had to add some HCL and it cleared up. Can you give me an idea on why this happened. Did I evaporate this down to far? I haven't had this happen on the other batches I did like this. And no it wasn't tin. I had washed in water before I disolved the gold and there was no tin in the solution.

Copper(I) chloride maybe? It dissolves in HCl and is only slightly soluble in water.

/Göran

g_axelsson said:
Copper(I) chloride maybe? It dissolves in HCl and is only slightly soluble in water.

/Göran

Could be but I don't think so. It was like the SMB didn't dissolve. Water wasn't added with the SMB it was put in as a powder. And it created that mess the second I put the first amount in.

Bada Bing 38g.

Looks like crap!
Tastes like crap!
Must be CRAP!

Maybe my standards are too high. 8)

Gold button.jpg

And the wife wanted to play with it when I showed it to her and she got a tight grip on it but I was able to pry it from her hands.

Barren Realms 007 said:
And the wife wanted to play with it when I showed it to her and she got a tight grip on it but I was able to pry it from her hands.

You know she only let go because she knows you gotta sleep sometime. :mrgreen:

qst42know said:
Barren Realms 007 said:

You know she only let go because she knows you gotta sleep sometime. :mrgreen:

Yea she told me I should put it in the safe but she knows where the key is to that. So that aint going to happen. I got some places she can't find it. Or I can take it to my shop, she never goes there. She might see future buttons but only a glimse from afar. 8)

shyknee said:
is this your first baby
good job :mrgreen:

Yep it was. I have nothing to complain about it looks fair. A lot of work went into that thing. The next one will be quicker and sooner. 8) And I guess I didn't get all the chlorine out of my soultion it is turning a blackish color so more will drop here soon just in very fine powder but it should be clean to melt when it does come down.

Barren Realms 007 said:
Bada Bing 38g.

Looks like crap!
Tastes like crap!
Must be CRAP!

Well done!
If you don't mind a comment (not being critical of your results), the rather fine uneven surface of the button is an indicator that the gold isn't quite pure. It's hard for me to tell by the color, considering the picture appears to have a rather yellow background.

When gold is ultra pure, it will generally freeze with a broad crystalline pattern, with the areas within the pattern quite shiny. It takes very little contamination to cause it to form a tight, somewhat frosty pattern such as yours displays. Take note that it didn't form a deep pipe, either. That's another good indicator.

Harold

Harold_V said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
Bada Bing 38g.

Looks like crap!
Tastes like crap!
Must be CRAP!

Well done!
If you don't mind a comment (not being critical of your results), the rather fine uneven surface of the button is an indicator that the gold isn't quite pure. It's hard for me to tell by the color, considering the picture appears to have a rather yellow background.

When gold is ultra pure, it will generally freeze with a broad crystalline pattern, with the areas within the pattern quite shiny. It takes very little contamination to cause it to form a tight, somewhat frosty pattern such as yours displays. Take note that it didn't form a deep pipe, either. That's another good indicator.

Harold

Thank you Harold that means a lot coming from you.

I just can't seem to catch the true color of the thing, it's the lighting. I have tried under a flouresent light and under regular incandesent light but I just can't get it. It is actually a lot lighter in color than the picture shows. It wouldn't surprise me with my luck and experience that I have some contaminant in there, even tho I washed & boiled it to death.

It dosen't have a pipe because I kept heating it till it had become some what solid before the flux held it in the crucible I dumped it in water.

You would have gotten a big laugh out of watching me. I melted 3 buttons with no color change in the flux, then I melted them all together and when I went to dump it in the water I droped the dish and the gold on my stainless bucket. ROFL 8) Came out as flaked glob.. :idea: No problem I grabbed another dish fluxed it and melted again.

What sucked was I took my criucible and put it in my oven at 200F for about 45 min and then up to 300F and then 500F. And my crucible still had cracks in it. But it held together even with it dumped in water the temperatur shock didn't do any more damage to it. But I woud guess I will only have 1 more use out of it till the crack is too big for it to be used. And my 2nd one cracked also so I have 1 good one left. Guess I will be getting some more from Steve and building a hot box to keep them in.

And I want to thank everyone here on the forum with their posts and questions that helped in getting to this milestone point.

And especially Steve for his paitence with all my dumb PM's.

glorycloud said:
Nice!

38 grams of gleaming gold processed and refined from start to finish. That must make a man proud. 8)

Very much so it does. And the knowledge that the next one will not take as much effort and time. 8)

Back