necromancers first foils

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

necromancer

hello all,

i am happy to say that i have recovered my first foils

a nice pile recovered from 386/486 kovar top & bottom plates only, there a little dirty right now but i will clean them up dissolve in AR & drop with SMB.
wash properly, dry & melt

thanks goes out to everyone here on the forum :!:
without you guys i would be getting $0.45 per pound

IMG_20140527_213518.jpg

i have close to 20 pounds of cpu to process, that will be fun

Nice pile! Was wondering why you did not go straight to AR in the beginning? I did two ceramic CPU batches in AR and it worked perfect. As long as you take your time with the final wash the gold will come out clean.

being my first batch of kovar i wanted to see how it worked out, it took about 2-1/2 hours to get all the foils
half of the kovar plates were intact with all gold removed with 50/50 nitric & agitation (stirring, polking & prodding)

my ceramic cpu's i will toss straight into AR, i think i have read enough of the fantastic posts here on the forum & i feel very confident it will go smoothly !!!

the above foils have been washed, digested in AR & dropped with SMB, Harold_V's washing method is next (friday or saturday)

i did have trouble with my coffee filters falling apart. next time i will go buy some & not get free ones off the girls at Tim Hortons :p
ended up using a charmin plug, it worked great

forgot to add that the above foils are from 294.83g of 386/486 kovar top & bottom plates only

there were added to the ceramic cpu i ran today (12 hours) avraged out to 1.45g per pound

AuCl-2.jpg

dropped with SMB side view.jpg

dropped with SMB bottom view.jpg

26.1g.jpg

how-to-clean-this.jpg

i am unsure how to clean this up, i think its mostly silver

how high a purity are you getting from just one A.R. drop??
In my test runs I could not get above 99.6% so now always re-do the hole batch.
There is nothing quite as clear and lovely looking as that second run batch of Chloric acid.

butcher said:
Nice button of shiny yellow metal, gotta love it.

thank you, my very, first drop & melt

it caved in a small bit with a crack along the middle (sorry bad pictures)

touchstone test showed between 22k & 24k

justinhcase said:
how high a purity are you getting from just one A.R. drop??
In my test runs I could not get above 99.6% so now always re-do the hole batch.
There is nothing quite as clear and lovely looking as that second run batch of Chloric acid.

Chloric acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloric_acid

Auric Chloride (AuCl3)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold(III)_chloride

it took me a long time to get my chemistry straight & i am still working on it LOL & i am sure its different pending on which method used to dissolve the gold

i didn't do a %, touchstone test showed between 22k & 24k which brings a big smile to my face as it's my very first go, so my guess with no math would be 99%

one thing that took a long time was getting it back off my little girl, she is 3 & a half years old & loves gold :) just like her daddy 8)

Yes I am loving it.
It starts off yellow then go's through orange into red and ends up a deep black.
Took the time to send some sample to Sheffeld Assayers office and found that there was no short cut's.
Until I started to use a second digestion I was stuck at 99.6% which was disappointing.
But all better now I just save up my little bit's and do one nice run when I have the time.
Nice tree's by the way where are you geographically?

justinhcase said:
Nice tree's by the way where are you geographically?

that would be a secret, you may get a very very small hint looking under my avatar on the left of this message
if that panel is closed look for a small red arrow

Did not want an actual location was interested in your local terrain and deciduous cover.
I have a large garden backed onto green space but have to travel to Dartmoor to get away from people.
Your place look's to have very nice woodland which was coppiced in the past but left to it's own devices for some time.
Very nice ,I count the day's until I can escape to a nice bit of land. was brought up on a farm and miss it.
looking forward to seeing what you produce next.
All the best
Justin

its a public park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erindale,_Mississauga

a not to exciting video (not me), i fish there all the time, lots of big salmon & trout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZwQQwVce2c

the spot i hang out is far enough off the trail that i never see anyone & the deer will come right up to you. can't stay to long after dark because the coyotes will chase you out :shock:

i have been going to this park for about 40 years, when i leave i leave it cleaner then when i got there. people are mostly really good with there trash

I will post a picture on the Aqua Regia Prize thread when it get's down to a syrup.Don't want to double post or over post in some one else's thread.
The red just keep's getting darker until no light can penetrate and that is what black is an absence of light not actually a color is it not. :lol:

Thank you Necromancer that is very good of you.
As for the difference in color observations in transparent liquids.
It occurred to me that there would be a large difference in the results based on the enviroment the observations where made in.
I and a number of people have small work spaces in Gardens and wood lands that would give the ambient back ground light a distinctive green tint to it.
Where as the larger refiners will have indoor work spaces lit with bright white lighting.
I have a feeling if both set's of people tried a light source similar to that used by the people who made different observations we may find a more standardised result.

Latest posts

Back