1000 KG of Cinema films .

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razvanflorin

Hello ! In the past week I have got the job to clean an old movie theater and as a reward I have got all they old cinema films. about 1000-1200 kg.
:mrgreen:
How would i process them ? i have understood that the process is different than the base process with Nitric Acid.
i have heard something about Lye & Sugar method. can i get some more informations about this method ? what would you recommand me ?

I will return with photos tommorow :)
P.S. Don't worry about safety, i know to protect my self :)

Thanks in advance :)

How old? Color or Black and White?

Some of the movies titles may be collectable and worth much more than any silver value. (Or not.)

Look up the process for x-ray or litho film, the process is the same. Just be prepared, high labor, low silver yields. One mistake and you could waste all your profits and actually lose money.

Edit to add;

Movie projector film is a positive image and as such has much less silver than a negative does.

If you have the old projectors or any other piece of equipment from the theater, that's where the money is... Don't scrap it for steel...

edit -> Not for PMs content of course, reusable equipment...

Forget silver content, there will possibly be more value in the movies themselves, way more value.

Smack is bang on the money here- you might have some absolute gems in there.

rickbb said:
How old? Color or Black and White?

Some of the movies titles may be collectable and worth much more than any silver value. (Or not.)

Look up the process for x-ray or litho film, the process is the same. Just be prepared, high labor, low silver yields. One mistake and you could waste all your profits and actually lose money.

Edit to add;

Movie projector film is a positive image and as such has much less silver than a negative does.

1996 - 2000, Most of them are Color.
I Don't think that they are that precious as collectable, they are common films.
I Have searched on forum and google and didn't find something concretely about these processes, can you send me some links ?

Thanks you in advance. :)

I don't think there is any silver at all left in positive color film. The silver should all be washed away in the development process.

If it was me, I would put a couple of films on eBay with a starting bid of a dollar just to assess the market. I think it is possible to sell most all of it for a higher price than any possible silver content.

Try this category http://www.ebay.com/sch/Film-Stock-/63821/i.html

Göran

Even if the whole film is not collectable individual frames sold as still shots can still be sold for several dollars each. Or more depending on the film, who's in the shot, etc.

razvanflorin - a 1000 kg of films? Really? A tonne? I will agree with these guys in saying that the value is not in any attempt to process these for scrap (as there is none). They say that hindsight is 20/20. Who would have thought that a 50's - 60's Stratocaster, Telecaster or any of the original Fender amps would be worth what they are today? The value is in what they will be worth in the future. Some mediocre film from the last decade seems almost worthless at this time but, who knows? Many things that were worth almost nothing decades ago are now worth ridiculous amounts of money. I say save them and wait - you have almost nothing invested.

I'm with the rest of the guys here you may have more value than you think, there are collectors for most things and I'm sure there will be people who would buy these films so long as they are good quality from the studio, my advice pick a few say any sci Fi or any with famous actors in and put them on eBay, you might get no response you may get a lot of interest, if you don't try you won't know.
Hard Rock Cafe pays silly money for music items so there may be people who will do the same for the films.

Latest posts

Back