• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale 1494.6 Grams Scrap Silver Cadmium Contacts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urachoch

This post has been edited by moderator to reflect initial post.
Original post in quote:

80% of these are from 1970's or earlier contactors and motor starters. Some are from breakers and are the tungsten tyle but not many. Asking 600.
New post follows:

Exact weights in pictures are in grams. Still Asking 600USD. Located in USA.

I apologize if I offended you Kurtak or anyone else. I think your a very knowledgeable individual. I did get defensive. I shouldn't have.

Attachments

• C7A94290-E4BF-4DB7-819A-84B3E0E9C420.jpeg
    C7A94290-E4BF-4DB7-819A-84B3E0E9C420.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 17ADA947-BE9B-4BF6-9A4D-1DA3C1D873E7.jpeg
    17ADA947-BE9B-4BF6-9A4D-1DA3C1D873E7.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 13C18E2B-8BB5-4C4C-8150-398463F4A6DE.jpeg
    13C18E2B-8BB5-4C4C-8150-398463F4A6DE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 243C5411-F517-41BC-ACE6-1828305C4D5D.jpeg
    243C5411-F517-41BC-ACE6-1828305C4D5D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • A2DD9AEC-CF80-469B-8052-90CDB7FEA34D.jpeg
    A2DD9AEC-CF80-469B-8052-90CDB7FEA34D.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • EE269C16-FA15-4EB2-A5A9-69C0FBCA9DB2.jpeg
    EE269C16-FA15-4EB2-A5A9-69C0FBCA9DB2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 4E0D0052-E1E5-4BBD-8A69-92C9899F02E7.jpeg
    4E0D0052-E1E5-4BBD-8A69-92C9899F02E7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 97590CA4-EACA-44BE-93CC-21AA5A73067C.jpeg
    97590CA4-EACA-44BE-93CC-21AA5A73067C.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 586629AB-3E76-4D6E-8656-FFF761AEDA60.jpeg
    586629AB-3E76-4D6E-8656-FFF761AEDA60.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 33906C1A-A407-4E55-9A97-1A4491DC9482.jpeg
    33906C1A-A407-4E55-9A97-1A4491DC9482.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 7A4E9F61-7FC5-4ECA-B8E9-4BBEE1694936.jpeg
    7A4E9F61-7FC5-4ECA-B8E9-4BBEE1694936.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
80% of these are from 1970's or earlier contactors and motor starters. Some are from breakers and are the tungsten tyle but not many. Asking 600.
For the benefit of those interested.
Where is this and what currency are you asking for.
I'm guessing that this will result in less than a Kilo of Silver.

Per the bold print - you need to separate the tungsten/silver from the others & give the weight for each type as it makes a BIG difference in the over all recovery

the points out of the magnetic disconnects (motor starters) will run plus/minus 95% silver

the tungsten/silver points (out of breakers) only run 30 - 40 % silver & take more time to process as they need to be literally BOILED in nitric to leach the silver out of the tungsten which can take a day & half to 2 days to fully leach all the silver out

So you need to separate them so the buyer actually knows what they are buying

In other words $600 may - or not - be a good deal depending on how much the tungsten/silver points weigh

I may (or not) be interested but want to know just what is being sold

Kurt

So now that we have a bunch info clogging up my for sale post with info found elsewhere on the forum and guesses about content. 80% of 1500 grams are not tungsten. That equals 1200 grams of non tungsten contacts and 300 grams of tungsten contacts. Thanks for your interest.

So now that we have a bunch info clogging up my for sale post with info found elsewhere on the forum and guesses about content. 80% of 1500 grams are not tungsten. That equals 1200 grams of non tungsten contacts and 300 grams of tungsten contacts. Thanks for your interest.
This what happens when you are not sharing sufficient details in the beginning.
There is one solution which Kurt has already pointed to.
Give exact numbers for each type of contacts and then people can bid based on that.
Different contacts need different processing.
The Cadmium of course complicates things for some.

So now that we have a bunch info clogging up my for sale post

Not clogging up "your for sale" post --- asking legitimate questions
with info found elsewhere on the forum and guesses about content

The info I posted is not "guesses" about content - & though that info may well be found elsewhere on the forum it is likely info I have posted here & that info is in fact not guess work but in fact reliable info from my years of processing LARGE batches of such points when I was refining for a living

I have refined literally thousands of ounces of silver from such contacts - I used to buy magnetic disconnects & LARGE industrial circuit breakers by the pickup load from scrapyards

Edit to add; - in other words I know what I am talking about !!!

80% of 1500 grams are not tungsten. That equals 1200 grams of non tungsten contacts and 300 grams of tungsten contacts. Thanks for your interest.

You don't want to show the two types separated & weighed on a scale so it looks to me like you are the one guessing & then expecting the buyer to buy on your guess

I guess I will pass on this deal

Kurt

Do as you will Kurtak. I did not say you are guessing. No one can post without the two of you mucking it up. All the info was there from the beginning. Now we have how many nuisance posts? Kurtak offer to buy or not. Really prefer not to deal with you to be honest.

Do as you will Kurtak. I did not say you are guessing. No one can post without the two of you mucking it up. All the info was there from the beginning. Now we have how many nuisance posts? Kurtak offer to buy or not. Really prefer not to deal with you to be honest.
This is the information you initially presented

As to my understanding this is at best, not information enough to make an estimated guess of its values, and when you add that to the heading saying it is Cadmium-Silver contacts I feel it needs way more details for the ones interested.

But its up to you mate, you are the one selling and anyone can give you an offer if they feel it is sufficient.

My jets are cool gramps. All info is in original post and always has been besides where and what currency. Once again clogging the post for no reason. Thanks for your inte
This is the information you initially presented

As to my understanding this is at best, not information enough to make an estimated guess of its values, and when you add that to the heading saying it is Cadmium-Silver contacts I feel it needs way more details for the ones interested.

But its up to you mate, you are the one selling and anyone can give you an offer if they feel it is sufficient.
All info you have requested is there. What more would you like?

Edit by moderator:
Yes all info is there now after you have added it silently.
What about following forum rules?

Last edited by a moderator:
All info you have requested is there. What more would you like?

What a moderators job is, is to make the experience here on the forum as informative and positive as possible. You, sir are the only person here who has had eyes on this material so what you feel is adequate in description may not be adequate for someone who is not hands on involved with this material. All that has been requested of you so far has been to make it clear to someone who may be interested in the material being offered enough detail to make an informed bid. That is your responsibility to provide if you want to sell this material. As a moderator, it is our responsibility to question anything that we perceive as too vague for our other members to make a fair bid.

Actually it is a simple request, so any perception of clogging up the post is due to your original and vague description.

Separate your lot into two piles, the pile that you think has tungsten core, and the pile that you think doesn't. Take a picture of both piles, laid out flat, so that people can see for themselves. Weigh them and attempt to be as forthcoming with details as possible.

While you have been a member for quite some time, you only have five posts. With the number of deals gone bad off the forum lately, it's really the sellers job to make the buyer comfortable.

Nobody wants to lose money.

Any large refiner will charge a per troy ounce incoming fee for Cadmium. It is considered a deleterious element and causes them problems on the environmental compliance side of their operation. The same is true for small refiners dealing with Cadmium, it is not something you want to melt and it is not something you want in your waste.

This lot is under 50 ounces. There is not a reasonably sized refiner out there who would consider processing this lot because of 1. the Cadmium, and 2. the small lot size. And if you did find a willing refiner, you will not be looking at the $600 price tag you are looking for.

"Good" stuff, if it is AgCd as you promote. If it would all be 80% Ag material, it will be somewhat interesting to buy, however, if there is portion of low yield W contacts, not that much.

Cd material is huge pain to process if you are small scale guy, generating quite nasty waste stream, very difficult to treat and dispose.

We usually offered fixed price on real Ag content, negotiated before smelting, with cost of the oxidative cleaning smelt included. Then, we oxidatively smelted the material (owner-witnessed), poured Cd-free metal, examined with XRF and paid accordingly. With 35kW induction furnance, it took less than hour from the start to finish for a few kg batch.

To this day, I have like 0,5 kg collection of black remains of tungsten contacts, sitting there in a glass jar. These were actually paid like 80% AgCd material, and accordingly, I lost like 200-300 euros on that particular batch.

I wish you luck with this offer. I used to do this material by several kg/batch some time ago... Without thorough XRF check on the pile of contacts, no purchase was ever made at our shop.

I offered something in the for sale or trade category. I can understand a potential buyer to want them separated. There is more comments on here guessing content or how people have refined these or a bunch of miscellaneous stuff that indeed "clogs" the post. Moderators also need to moderate and loom out for the group as a whole. I can understand that also.
This what happens when you are not sharing sufficient details in the beginning.
There is one solution which Kurt has already pointed to.
Give exact numbers for each type of contacts and then people can bid based on that.
Different contacts need different processing.
Exact numbers are and have been given

Separate your lot into two piles, the pile that you think has tungsten core, and the pile that you think doesn't. Take a picture of both piles, laid out flat, so that people can see for themselves. Weigh them and attempt to be as forthcoming with details as possible.

While you have been a member for quite some time, you only have five posts. With the number of deals gone bad off the forum lately, it's really the sellers job to make the buyer comfortable.

Nobody wants to lose
Not clogging up "your for sale" post --- asking legitimate questions

The info I posted is not "guesses" about content - & though that info may well be found elsewhere on the forum it is likely info I have posted here & that info is in fact not guess work but in fact reliable info from my years of processing LARGE batches of such points when I was refining for a living

I have refined literally thousands of ounces of silver from such contacts - I used to buy magnetic disconnects & LARGE industrial circuit breakers by the pickup load from scrapyards

Edit to add; - in other words I know what I am talking about !!!

You don't want to show the two types separated & weighed on a scale so it looks to me like you are the one guessing & then expecting the buyer to buy on your guess

I guess I will pass on this deal

Kurt
Im not guessing Kurtak. I am the one who removed every contactor and starter that they came from. Not to mention I've been doing this for 20 yrs and have literally removed, changed, ordered, 100's if not 1000's of contactors and starters. I claim to be amateur at best at refining. I have indeed used nitric to refine contacts. Not on any vast scale. Not claiming to understand or know the chemistry at all. Now I sound like you. You guys can just never accept that other people know or might understand what they are talking about. You guys are right I can be more descriptive as you all have spelled out and I will but don't act like im not telling you what I have. I said 80% of these are from contactors and starters because I know. I think I put 1 or 2 breakers worth in with them. I said 80% knowing that was for sure true. In my opinion one would be making out better that way. I also posted in the for sale threads. My post claimed to know nothing about refining or anything. I just wanted to sell my stuff in the sell section. Very first thing was a guess from someone of they amount of silver. I mean a bunch of speculation and things that make trying to sell this stuff hard already. I added to the thread there are 1200 starter contacts and 300 gram breaker contacts. If the person that wants to buy them asks for better pictures that person shall have them. So moving forward this post is based on that information. 1200 grams of cintered silver cadmium contacts and 300. If your interested in that its for sale. Better pics and weights are incoming.

You guys can just never accept that other people know or might understand what they are talking about.
Being argumentative isn't going to make it any easier to sell these contacts. No one said you don't know what you are talking about but the way you take this defensive attitude makes it look that way. You could have simply clarified the information when asked, but you chose to attack.

Kurt posted some valuable information about yields and some of the issues a potential buyer may face and he doesn't deserve to be insulted by you. You have been here 10 years, posted 7 times and 6 of them were today on this thread. Ironically your first post was on the Geo thread, so you can see how miscommunication can make a deal go bad. Would have thought you would have realized that, and been clear and concise in your offering, or at least in your follow ups.

You guys are never wrong I know. I apologize for posting a for sale add in the for sale section. I insulted Kurt no more than he insulted me. Or anyone else for that matter. I waited ten yrs to post because if I posted right away that would be would of been wrong also. My first post was on the Geo bs because Geo was wrong and no one would say. That was a Jerry Springer thread anyway. Kinda like this one now. Call a spade a spade.
Being argumentative isn't going to make it any easier to sell these contacts. No one said you don't know what you are talking about but the way you take this defensive attitude makes it look that way. You could have simply clarified the information when asked, but you chose to attack.

Kurt posted some valuable information about yields and some of the issues a potential buyer may face and he doesn't deserve to be insulted by you. You have been here 10 years, posted 7 times and 6 of them were today on this thread. Ironically your first post was on the Geo thread, so you can see how miscommunication can make a deal go bad. Would have thought you would have realized that, and been clear and concise in your offering, or at least in your follow ups.

Im not guessing Kurtak. I am the one who removed every contactor and starter that they came from. Not to mention I've been doing this for 20 yrs and have literally removed, changed, ordered, 100's if not 1000's of contactors and starters. I claim to be amateur at best at refining. I have indeed used nitric to refine contacts. Not on any vast scale. Not claiming to understand or know the chemistry at all. Now I sound like you. You guys can just never accept that other people know or might understand what they are talking about. You guys are right I can be more descriptive as you all have spelled out and I will but don't act like im not telling you what I have. I said 80% of these are from contactors and starters because I know. I think I put 1 or 2 breakers worth in with them. I said 80% knowing that was for sure true. In my opinion one would be making out better that way. I also posted in the for sale threads. My post claimed to know nothing about refining or anything. I just wanted to sell my stuff in the sell section. Very first thing was a guess from someone of they amount of silver. I mean a bunch of speculation and things that make trying to sell this stuff hard already. I added to the thread there are 1200 starter contacts and 300 gram breaker contacts. If the person that wants to buy them asks for better pictures that person shall have them. So moving forward this post is based on that information. 1200 grams of cintered silver cadmium contacts and 300. If your interested in that its for sale. Better pics and weights are incoming.
There are many levels to this and it has gotten a bit out of hands.
This controversy was started by the standard thing.

The one posting cant see that the ones reading his post do not know what is in the mind of the poster.
We do not have a mind reading module in this forum (Pun and irony intended)

So what you actually posted of information and what we (the spectators) saw was quite different, hence my return questions in my first post.
Next you say you have posted details about your lot, to that I beg to differ,
it is not even close to give me any reason to want to buy it.

Back